Infantry officer to REME officer? / train to be an officer in REME?

Hi all, my first thread on here so excuse my lack of knowledge.

I recently had a talk with a corporal in the army (through the cadets) and got to ask many questions, which kind of cemented my want to join the army.

I initially wanted to join as an officer straight out of college but then I found out about AFC Harrogate, and I'm not too sure if I can through there, and I don't really want to be an officer without
experience with regulars.

I'm torn between joining REME or an infantry branch.

I heard that you can't really become an officer in REME and that it's easier to transfer from another regiment (I may be wrong)
My current plan is to serve in the rifles for about a year/ 2 years, get a rank, then sign up for the AOSB, after which I will serve another 3 years, then transfer.
Could this be viable?

FEASG

LE
Been out a while now, but most REME officers that I met were qualified engineers before going to RMAS.

Did they have prior education, or did they get it while in REME?
Read his reply 'but most REME officers that I met were qualified engineers before going to RMAS. '

I can get uni if im an officer, can't i?
Not impossible, but do not count on it.

Pay attention now there may be questions later:

1. Your best route is to get your A levels, get in to a uni doing whatever type of engineering appeals to you.

2. Then to get your desired military exposure you really have two options:

...............a. Make sure that the uni you have chosen has an Officer Cadet Training Unit, or
...............b. My favourite, and the one I would recommend, if you want some infantry exposure join a Reserve Infantry Unit whilst at university. You could even join the Reserve Para's, get wings and fall out of airplanes. This option would serve two purposes: It gets your desire to be in the infantry out of the way and it also allows you to see and experience the bottom of the food chain in the army which will eventually make you a better leader and officer with more understanding of the types of individuals you are leading.

Good luck.

Get into your A-levels and hunt around. All the three services take on graduate engineers and will/may sponsor you to get a degree. Have fun at Uni, then work it out from there.

It will be very difficult for you to Commission into the REME from Sandhurst without an Engineering Degree. Almost all ex-rankers who go through AOSB and RMAS into the REME were REME soldiers beforehand.

Also, it's a bit more difficult to pass AOSB and RMAS straight out of A-Levels as an 18 year old, purely because you will likely not have the maturity of those in their twenties. Obviously not impossible, but certainly not easy.

Your best bet is to decide what you want to do. If you want to be a REME officer, go to University and study engineering. If you want to be an infantry Officer, by all means have a crack. If you want to be a soldier, by all means go to AFC.

However, be warned that there are no guarantees that you can join as a soldier and go to RMAS afterwards. Many manage to do it, but they are generally the cream of the crop. If your final destination is REME officer, get an engineering degree first, or you'll have a mountain to climb.

CC_TA

LE
Don't need a degree as you can study for an service degree.
If you go for a degree before you commission then a technical degree is reccomend.

I've had a wide variety of officers from direct entry with engineering degrees, those that have completed in service degrees, Late Entry officers, those that have served as other ranks first and some I have no clue where they've come from and how they got where they are.

Vast majority have been gleaming and do a mahooosive amount of behind the scenes work, including weekends and nights on top of normal working hours, for the lads and lasses serving under them. ....Even the many sports biased officers that seemed to spend a large proportion of their 'working day' in tracksuits chucked in the extra hours. (Had the pleasure of 3 PCs/OCs that are or will be competing at top level sports including the next Olympics.)

Here's the army jobs gen:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Qualifications:
72 UCAS points and 35 ALIS points at GCSE (including minimum grade C in English Language, Maths and a Science or Foreign Language).
Graduates should ideally hold a technically focussed degree; including engineering, maths, science or computer systems. This list is not exhaustive and many others would be considered.

Non-graduates must be prepared to study for an In-Service Degree in a technical subject.

Fitness:
  • Mid Thigh Pull 76kg
  • Medicine Ball Throw 3.1m
  • 2km run 10m 15s (multistage fitness test)
QUALIFICATIONS YOU COULD GET AFTER TRAINING
  • Chartered Engineer with Society of Operational Engineers (SOE), Institute of Mechanical Engineering (IMechE), Institute of Engineering Technology (IET or the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS))
  • Chartered Manager with Chartered Management Institute
  • MSc in Engineering and Management
  • Association of Project Managers Practitioner
  • PRINCE2 Practitioner
  • Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership
Good luck.

Don't need a degree as you can study for an service degree.
If you go for a degree before you commission then a technical degree is reccomend.
Cheers mate,
So if I apply as an officer in REME, I can be offered uni?
Also do you know if REME get deployed? Or do you just stay in a barracks doing your thing?

CC_TA

LE
Cheers mate,
So if I apply as an officer in REME, I can be offered uni?
Also do you know if REME get deployed? Or do you just stay in a barracks doing your thing?
Get in comms with a careers office and ask to speak with a REME woopert.

As REME you will deploy everywhere and if the unit are away you will go with them to fix the kit, find the kit and to try and stop them losing or breaking the kit.

Latest Threads