Infantry Officer -Post Forces

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Un-Friendly-Fire, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After an officer of infantry has retired what are the main routes you can go down that exploit the infantry AND officer aspects of the job? At the moment i would like to go for the police however due to my being white, straight and non-disabled im slightly sceptical of my chances even if PC might have been eradicated by 2020 odd (HA). Other contingency is going into teaching but seeing as id probably be leaving about the tender age of 30 id rather not commit myself to desks just yet

Aside from the usual PSD work and management consultant (whatever that is) that both seem to get suggested what other decent careers are there for someone who would intend to be leaving about captain/major level after a few years in infantry work?

My problem is im intending to join the army as an officer but then i dont know what other long term prospects there are afterwards and if im not going in for 20 years odd im not totally sure what other options there are afterwards

Edited for Grammar

2. Edited by Mod. See Officers Forum Moderation Policy para 3.

3. ....anyone else?

I get your point OldredCap no its not really all that funny that im the most likely to be a discrimination victim when dealing with the government but my immature sarcasm aside. i'd rather have more than two options for what to do after the forces seeing as from every single piece of advice i've gotten has been to plan for everything. Im perfectly willing to go into forces with limited options afterwards, especially seeing as they are all good ones however why shouldnt i ask? I guess i dont have years of experience in Forces but i wouldnt exactly call "what can i do in civvie street afterwards with x. y and z" the most bone question ever asked in history. surely one good trait is to look for advice better guided than yours and use it?

Edited to stop guy below being cheeky :roll: ok that was coming admitted

4. ORC,

[​IMG]

Today you deserve this.

5. Tried to be civil whilst being realistic in a amusing way. Obviously difficult when an OR enters officer country. Apologies to all concerned.

6. What happened to service for service's sake, FFS. Get in and do your bit, and worry about what happens after that later. Most civvi jobs are short contract: most civvies would jump at the chance to get a five or six year job offer.

You will develop a CV to die for in the few years you are in, it's just a matter of putting that experience into civilian language when you leave.

Take the Queen's shilling and enjoy.

7. To atone for previous post, may I refer UFF to article in today's business section of DT at My 2nd career commenced at age 40 when as WOI I realised I did not wish to change from being chief cockerel on my own midden to a Captain pecking around an even higher midden. Transition into a civil career was easy as I chanced upon a company that had just had a large management consultancy review where they were advised to seek a RSM-type person as manager of a new department. I discovered that nearly all of the things I had learned in the military transferred easily to civilian life. I just had to be careful to call them by another name (discipline became compliance with company manuals) and not expect that innovations would be instantly adopted. The Army will be an ideal foundation for almost any career. I would caution you against thinking about a short spell in the services prior to a complete change in path. The Army way may seem simple but does need to be thoroughly assimilated.
    There - that wasn't too bad I hope.

8. ORC: Spot on!

I had 11 years (3 as a Tom, rest as a Rupert). Since leaving the Forces I have never been out of a job. I have only applied for 5 jobs since leaving; 2 when I left - accepted one offer. Got bored, found something I thought I would like - 1 interview and accepted. Found I had made a horrid mistake (took 12 months to correct) and applied for 2 other jobs and was successful on the 2nd. Looking back I had aimed far to high with the penultimate job (regional CEO with a 1.2bn GBP turnover and 4,000 people - came 2nd though).

Unless you have a double first from Oxbridge (sorry, Durham and Exeter do not count), then nothing will tart up your CV (and yourself) like a spell in the forces.

Good luck.

9. Sales & training is the place to be. Huge salaries and all your skills are transferable. 10 years out and I get phone calls every week offering some great job. Try to get into something that interests you or is your hobby, selling plumbing supplies, for example, is boring as fcuk. Selling mobiles or uber-premium hifi :lol: is really cool.