Infantry Numbers before Options (and a little WIN on my part)

LD17

MIA
So, many of you may remember @JOHNG before his antics got him flogged off this illustrious site. Way back when (March 2018 ) I again was subjected to his, well you all know.....

Anyway I just wanted to share some information I received regarding Infantry Numbers in March 1990 (when this paper was published), this is strictly regimental numbers (cap badge)
Left hand column is:
FV432 Bns (Mech Inf Tracked)
AMF (L) Bn
Home Defence Type B & Para Bns

Right hand column is:
Saxon Bns (Mech Inf wheeled)
IDB Warminster
Warrior Bns (Armd Inf)
Airmobile Bns
Berlin Bns

A quick glance will show you that all the Scottish Bns are close to or over strength:
1 RS -24
1 RHF -45
1 KOSB +13
1 BW +18
1 QO Hldrs +14
1 Gordons +3
1 A&SH -3

So John, again .....WINNING!!!

Attachments

• DEFE_70_2536_0100 Infantry Bn strengths March 1990.JPG
    DEFE_70_2536_0100 Infantry Bn strengths March 1990.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:

LD17

MIA
A little further information, these are the numbers come July 1990....

As for the Gurkhas, they were all overmanned. The Pre-Options intention was for four Bns to survive post 1997 (Hong Kong). One in Brunei, one the permanent IDB @ Warminster (with Coys @ Brecon & Sandhurst), and two in the UK. I am assuming one would stay as part of 5 Abn Bde, leaving one in the the general Arms Plot (except for BAOR, Berlin, or NI).

Attachments

• DEFE_70_2536_0084 Infantry July 1990.JPG
    DEFE_70_2536_0084 Infantry July 1990.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
So, many of you may remember @JOHNG before his antics got him flogged off this illustrious site. Way back when (March 2018 ) I again was subjected to his, well you all know.....

Anyway I just wanted to share some information I received regarding Infantry Numbers in March 1990 (when this paper was published), this is strictly regimental numbers (cap badge)
Left hand column is:
FV432 Bns (Mech Inf Tracked)
AMF (L) Bn
Home Defence Type B & Para Bns

Right hand column is:
Saxon Bns (Mech Inf wheeled)
IDB Warminster
Warrior Bns (Armd Inf)
Airmobile Bns
Berlin Bns

A quick glance will show you that all the Scottish Bns are close to or over strength:
1 RS -24
1 RHF -45
1 KOSB +13
1 BW +18
1 QO Hldrs +14
1 Gordons +3
1 A&SH -3

So John, again .....WINNING!!!
Gurkha battalions of that time were always overmanned by about 250 men as they were granted Nepal leave for six months every three years so they were always missing that number from their strengh on parade.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Low numbers were predicted.

Hence MARILYN. Manning and recruitment in lean years (of) nineties..

IIRC it was still running as Options for change was underway

Latest Threads