Infantry full time as an Australian

Hey lads, I was wondering If it's possible to join as a rifleman as an Aussie, I always wanted to join the military, I want a fresh start and put my old life behind me, Back home shit sucks, and all this drama going on in my life, I was also thinking of running off to join the French foreign legion as a last resort but what ya'll think? How hard would it be to be recruited in the British army? Considering the nationality issues? Cheers.

They've opened for Commonwealth recruits again. Don't know how many they're taking, or what the lead time is though.

Contact them and see what they say to you.

Hey lads, I was wondering If it's possible to join as a rifleman as an Aussie, I always wanted to join the military, I want a fresh start and put my old life behind me, Back home shit sucks, and all this drama going on in my life, I was also thinking of running off to join the French foreign legion as a last resort but what ya'll think? How hard would it be to be recruited in the British army? Considering the nationality issues? Cheers.
As TT has said, for an Australian citizen, as part of the Commonwealth, there are no 'nationality issues'. Unlike in Oz, you do not have to be a British citizen when you join.

Last edited:

morsk

LE
I seem to remember that they were opening up 1000 places to Commonwealth soldiers in 2020 . Good luck with it mate. Speak to a recruiter, he will let you know.....

Good luck with it.

As an FYI the Foreign Legion last I heard were being very, very, picky as they had so many applicants. @Condottiere or @SixBadges should be able to shed some light for you.

Good luck with it.

As an FYI the Foreign Legion last I heard were being very, very, picky as they had so many applicants. @Condottiere or @SixBadges should be able to shed some light for you.
Hi @StickyFingers12, joining the Foreign Legion as @Effendi states is not that easy currently. Nor is it for the faint hearted.

Although there are no nationality restrictions and you could have a signed contract and be on your way to basic training within a month of turning up (with free board and lodging provided during that time); in addition to the usual fitness, medical, psychological, etc tests, they are looking for complete commitment.

If they feel that you are unlikely to show sufficient determination to stay the course (for whatever reason), you will not get in, even if you pass all the tests with flying colours.

Candidates from “first world” countries are normally scrutinised intensely for their motivation to join the Legion, as they are considered more likely to “flake” due to not being habituated to the sort of standards, terms and conditions that they will be required to serve under.

The ARRSE thread comparing 2 REP to the British Parachute Regiment can give you some flavour of what to expect.

If you are committed and do join, you can expect a minimum of five years hard work, rewarded with excellent opportunities for self-development and promotion, foreign travel and a reasonably high expectation of deployment on operations.

I would like to add that conversely, this may be a good time for better educated “first-worlders” to join especially if they show good promise to be able to learn French to a relatively high standard. This is because of the modernisation and digitisation of the French Army which requires more tech-capable personnel.

Latest Threads