Infantry fitness and running

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by im_plan_b, Aug 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know loads have people have asked probably etc.
    But im looking for an answer not banter swaying from the topic....

I have done my maths test, english test and my BARB test (scoring 81)
    My final 3 choices seem to be:

*Operator Military Intelligence
    *REME Armourer

I know i can do 50+ push ups in 2 mins, about 8 heaves/chinups and can do 1.5miles in about 10mins 30.

But once in phase 1 and 2, i heard the longest run/jog done is 8 miles? but how often is this done? and what is the average running distance?

(this is aimed at infantry soldiers or people who have served not people taking a guess lol)
    I know infantry training isnt all run, run, run (haha well not ALL) but at this stage running is my only concern, if i can do the 1.5mile run but not much more distance, am i fit enough to join? do they bring me up to scratch? just dont think i could handle if they throw 5+ mile runs at me in a few weeks haha, any of that advise is great thanks
  2. i found that running 3 miles rather than just 1.5 increased my time by a lot, at adsc you do a 1.5 mle warm up followed my the run so get practicing :D
  3. you heard wrong the longest run is 6 miles
  4. In short--Good upper body strength and abs (with flexibility) and endurance (not just running in trainers and shorts--boots and progressive loads in a bergen) in your legs
  5. As of 1 month ago this is rubbish. You jog around and raise your knees up or run with your legs going back and hitting your ARRSE then at least at glencorse you jog down the hill out of the base under a bridge onto this country track infront of a bridge were you do the run.

not even close to half a mile, casual jogging, more to loosening up.
  6. ah ok thanks guys pretty useful info, just wondering- is it much easier running with the squad around you like keeping to the faster guys or whatever?
    and they dont throw you the 6 mile runs often or soon into training? like if i can only run say 2 miles now but CAN do the required 1.5 mile time, i should be fine in training/not stuggle they will get me up to scratch or will i be behind everyone else/thrown off combat infantrymans course?
  7. Just my opinion--do not ever rely on minimum standards. Always strive and train for superior performance-especially in the infantry. Just getting by and particularly when it comes to fitness and endurance will get you or someone else killed in places like Afghanistan due to climate and terrain.
  8. The 6 mile run Sandy refers to (if it hasn't changed) is done at 10 minute miles(ish expect to sprint up a hill or two!) so 6 miles in 1 hour - not too difficult and the Phys is progressive, knuckle down and put the effort in and you'll do fine! Work on some longer distance runs now starting at 3 miles and working upwards just to get you used to it.

Long distance running isn't particularly hard if you condition yourself to it, the first mile and abit are usually uncomfortable and your legs, heart and lungs get used to it then you don't really feel the discomfort anymore and you feel like you can go for ages - try it!
  9. ah thanks guys, great help, sometimes i give up before i need to, either not so good at controlling breathing (sounds dumb but im sure your well aware effective breathing is alot of it)
    finding my pace is another issue and also when i get out of breathe i kinda switch off mentally even if i dont physically needa give up, i think if i was in a squad running or getting shot at id be fine haha.. just running to the "roundabout" and back isnt quite the same as frontline, not so motivating haha
  10. If yr gonna go Armourer you need only practice running away :O)
  11. The trouble is with COIN operations like the Stan etc., there often is no definitive "front line." Our Army has learned this the hard way with several unfortunate instances of logistics troops being cut up badly because they could not adequately defend themselves much less attack the bad guys. Now all soldiers at least get the rudiments of field and basic combat skills. (the business end of their M-4 carbine is the little round bit with the hole in it rather than the bigger flat plastic bit etc....)
  12. I do wish that people would not confuse the test - which is a warm up and then 1.5 miles with training. Training whether before or in the Army requires running a lot more than 1.5 miles to do any good.
  13. Im not a PTI but I would suggest against doing much training with weight (i.e. runs/tabs) before starting training. The PTIs at Catterick will get you into shape so that you can handle what ever they throw at you, though obviously being fitter when you start is always a bonus.

I can't remember doing that many runs at all when I was there it was mainly tabbing, but this was 6 years ago.
  14. Everbody on here will always give a difference of opinon when it comes to fitness and what to do, not to do. If can run 1.5mile in 10:30 then you can run more than 2 miles. mate, you just need to get past it.
    My advice is proressive training, run for period of time rather than a set distance, keep increasing the run time every week to ensure you are pushing yourself further and further each time.
    Dont run in boots and with weight, CIC is progresive and the pti's there will take your basic level and improve it however you need to ensure when you get there that you are as fit as you can be and injury free.
    Rather than tabbing and weighted runs, get a decent daysack and boots, jump in your motor and go walking. Im sure were you live there will be suitable places for a decent walk about.

15. I would have too strongly disagree there, say for example you are a Kings Div recruit and 2 Para Reg PTIs turn up too take the lesson trust me they aint ready for as you say "what ever gets thrown at them"