Infantry face RM training...

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Condottieri, Dec 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this is linked to the below threads on the Light Division but saw this in The Times the other day and thought it deserved a thread of its own. If I'm wrong then forgive me, I am new (so hello).

The Times November 29, 2005
    Infantry face Marine trainingBY MICHAEL EVANS

SIX HUNDRED soldiers could be transferred to the Royal Marines under a proposal being studied by defence chiefs. The soldiers will have to be trained as commandos and learn to live on ships, but will remain as army personnel. The plan is part of a strategy to increase the size and firepower of 3 Commando Brigade. But instead of trying to recruit more Marines, the proposal is to switch a whole infantry battalion from the Army into the Marine brigade.

The regiment being earmarked for the commando role is the new five-battalion unit called The Rifles, which is to be formed in 2007. Under the proposal, one of the battalions would be switched to 3 Commando Brigade, which is part of the Royal Navy. The reason for the proposed army-Marine mix-and-match is that defence chiefs want to create a whole range of similar-size brigades in the infantry and Marines to form a permanent rota for operations. The novel concept is part of the overall strategy of providing ready-made expeditionary forces but without placing the burden of operations on a minority of units.

Any thoughts on this, especially from those that it may concern?
  2. Good job I'm not recce - thanks