Infantry face Marine training

Did I miss this one?!

[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0 said:
Infantry face Marine training
By Michael Evans

SIX HUNDRED soldiers could be transferred to the Royal Marines under a proposal being studied by defence chiefs. The soldiers will have to be trained as commandos and learn to live on ships, but will remain as army personnel.
The plan is part of a strategy to increase the size and firepower of 3 Commando Brigade. But instead of trying to recruit more Marines, the proposal is to switch a whole infantry battalion from the Army into the Marine brigade.

The regiment being earmarked for the commando role is the new five-battalion unit called The Rifles, which is to be formed in 2007.

Under the proposal, one of the battalions would be switched to 3 Commando Brigade, which is part of the Royal Navy. The reason for the proposed army-Marine mix-and-match is that defence chiefs want to create a whole range of similar-size brigades in the infantry and Marines to form a permanent rota for operations.

The novel concept is part of the overall strategy of providing ready-made expeditionary forces but without placing the burden of operations on a minority of units.
Stand By, Stand By!

I think it must be some bean counter noteing that the rifles have green berets and the marines have green berets, so lets make the a rifles bn into marines!

Well they could just do away with the RM and put the Green Jackets... sorry... forgot the time we live in these days, The Rifles as the new RM ... saying that sod it lets go the whole hog and get rid of the services and sub contract it all out may be to Halliburton? Oh well good job I am emigrating... may be the RM / Rifles can come and rescue me when the next destination goes tea kettle up etc

wg100 said:
I think it must be some bean counter noteing that the rifles have green berets and the marines have green berets, so lets make the a rifles bn into marines!
Both units are also well known for their deviant sexual behaviour, so they're probably well matched!

Sounds like a spam deal. If blokes wanted to be latrine's they'd have joined the Commodos. Certainly sounds like a cost cutting ex.

My lads a bootneck as some of you know and he leaves the corps tomorrow after 4 years .. he tells me that they are leaving in droves now so I think this is the most likely reason for this move

Not the first time the Infantry have served at sea. The 2nd, (the old Queens Regiment) 25th (Sussex) 29th (partof Worcesters) All served as marines at the naval battle of the Glorious First of June.

Booties will get all the best jobs from the Brigade commander and Percy will be left to keep watch(stag on).
The return of Army Commandos in the form of an infantry Battalion or two, is long overdue IMHO. As long its not just to stag on because Royal cannot be arrsed.
SK

Already based in The Royal Citadel in Plymouth, 29 Commando became a Commando Regt in the early 60s but I am unsure of the exact details on AACC pass rate etc.

It has been done before!

cdognr said:
Already based in The Royal Citadel in Plymouth, 29 Commando became a Commando Regt in the early 60s but I am unsure of the exact details on AACC pass rate etc.

It has been done before!
Fair comment but what about the fact that they pinning a whole Inf Regt to do this role. Will it be similar to the Inf Batt that served with 5AB? Some do the course, some don't??

Maybe they should just advertise.

"Volunteers required for new Commando unit."
"All Ranks required."

Have the new unit made up of strictly volunteers, from across the army, navy and (cough) RAF . Multi cap badgeed, multi talented, highly motivated. Maybe the training could be carried out in Scotland.

Just a thought, sounds a bit familiar though.

SK

Out of curiosity will it be necessary to be a bit tasty with a rollmat to be eligible or can one opt for a more supervisory role - in medical rig for example ?

As it stands it will be 1 Rifles that takes on this role. They will be predomiantly based on 1 DDLI and additionals from RGBWLI. They will be based out of Chepstow. Could be quite an attractive role - just have to see what level the trg is based. Will all have to go and do the All Arms Commando course? Would be a bit of an insult to an Inf Bn, to be taught how to live in the field, pack your kit etc!!!

Do the Cdo cse then instead.

I'm sure Royal will welcome you with roll matt covered open arms!!

Hang on a minute? :? Didn't the Commandos start off as an army unit during the war then get trasfered into the RM? So, does this mean that (with the revival of the "Old" army commandos), the lunatics running this assylum are actually admitting to making mistakes in the past? Surely not 8O

I have to back up Tenorplayer on this one. I have some good mates who are booties (some are ex green death now) and they have confirmed to me that they are threaders with the way they are treated and the amount of time that they spend away. It's all very well recruiting people but it isn't very beneficial if those same people are walking out the gate 4 years later. They need to retain them-maybe the introduction of 'commando pay' would change all that?

Interesting concept this. In WWII complete line infantry Battalions were transferred to the Parachute Regiment in one go, of course the blokes were given the option of staying with a non airborne unit but most took up the challenge and did their jumps.

It appears that the 'Rifles' will be undergoing a similar process, however I'm not entirely conveinced that they will be able to talk a whole Battlion's worth of blokes to undergo the Cmd course. It will take years to get a fully staffed Battalion together simply because the majority of SNCO's would not fancy having to do the course..........would you if you had a couple of years left in ?

Lets assume 50% of the 'Rifles' from all ranks are up for it and they get another 50% from the wider Light Div units, of these say 40% actually pass the course your basically left with an understrength unit which can fill slots in 3 Cmd Bde as additional Rifle Companies. Over time this will increase as the unit attracts blokes but with manpower turnover it will be a good while until its full strength.

It'll be interesting to see how this one ends up.