Infantry Bergen

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by flipside, Feb 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i have got the chance of a cheap infantry bergen, what is the difference between short and long back versions?

Cheers

Flip

2. Length!

If you're under 6' 1" the long back is likely to be too long to wear with webbing.

3. kewl i was wondering if it was that simple, i am 5 foot 6 honest :>

Flip

4. The short back is shorter but a tab wider to give the same capacity as the long back.
    At 5' 8'' i use a short back and it sits nicely on my webbing instead of over it.

Cheers

5. I'm 5' 8" and have one of both, long story involving a CQMS who was p1ssed when i booked out....

The short back is way better on scheme/Ops but I can definately get more into the long back, its just not comfy on, so I use it for AT when I need all those civvies......

Stick with the short back for every day use though..........

6. Cheers for the info guys, i will order the short back version

Flip

7. wer exactly u gettin this cheap bergen from? a shop or a mate? cz im after one- do they come with side pockets?

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

yup me too, actually would prefer civvie patten but I've not seen a civvie bergen that measures up to my old issue one... If fact I may start a thread on that here in a mo. But the answer to the question is still wanted - where are you sourcing???

9. I got it for 35 quid including sidepockets and internal metal frame from Denbigh army surplus http://www.outdoorsurplus.co.uk/. The bergen is in great shape and delivered fast. The owner advertised six of these on ebay at a fixed price of 35 quid

Flip

10. Flipside , snap it up mate , thats a good deal .The other lads are right about the short back .
    I am 5''11'' and a short back is perfect for me .

11. My thoughts exactly i will be going back to that store for more gear in the future

:>

Flip

12. can i just as if anyone actually uses the metal frame

13. can i just as if anyone actually uses the metal frame

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I didn't and I did, don't recall too much difference. Does it matter?