Infantry Battalions in post-WW2 Malta

SAKR_AL_AMN

Old-Salt
I am doing a bit of research into the infantry and RM units that were based on Malta after WW2. I am starting with Pembroke Garrison and the three main barracks of St Georges, St Andrews and St Patricks Barracks. This is what I have got so far and I would be grateful if any body can point me to or give me info on the gaps, some of which are massive:

St George's Barracks
  • 40 Commando RM - 1949
  • 8 Commando Light Battery RA - 1976
St Andrew's Barracks:
St Paul's Hutments
  • 53 Command Workshops REME - present during WW2 and up to the 1970s
St Patrick's Barracks - constructed in 1941
Any comments on the occupancy of Tigne Barracks would also be gratefully received.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am doing a bit of research into the infantry and RM units that were based on Malta after WW2. I am staring with Pembroke Garrison and the three main barracks of St Georges, St Andrews and St Patricks Barracks. This is what I have got so far and I would be grateful if any body can point me to or give me info on the gaps, some of which are massive:

St George's Barracks
  • 40 Commando RM - 1949
St Andrew's Barracks:
St Paul's Hutments
Any comments on the occupancy of Tigne Barracks would also be gratefully received.

Cheers
'Black 8' were attached to 41 Commando RM, at the time of withdrawal in 1976 (in addition to a troop from 59 Cdo Engineers) - they had been there for quite a while, certainly they were there when the Turks invaded Cyprus. I did an FRT on their comms kit in August of that year and they shipped out in September/October time. In 1977, there were no British troops in Malta (after Mintoff threw us out for the 2nd time) - 41 Commando were in Deal at that time.

Last edited:

SAKR_AL_AMN

Old-Salt
'Black 8' were attached to 41 Commando RM, at the time of withdrawal in 1976 (in addition to a troop from 59 Cdo Engineers) - they had been there for quite a while, certainly they were there when the Turks invaded Cyprus. I did an FRT on their comms kit in August of that year and they shipped out in September/October time. In 1977, there were no British troops in Malta (after Mintoff threw us out for the 2nd time) - 41 Commando were in Deal at that time.
Was that St George's Barracks?

I am doing a bit of research into the infantry and RM units that were based on Malta after WW2. I am starting with Pembroke Garrison and the three main barracks of St Georges, St Andrews and St Patricks Barracks. This is what I have got so far and I would be grateful if any body can point me to or give me info on the gaps, some of which are massive:

St George's Barracks
  • 40 Commando RM - 1949
St Andrew's Barracks:
St Paul's Hutments

Cheers
There were Booties at St Andrews in 1976.

Was that St George's Barracks?
Yes, but the whole area was like a ghost town - HM Government finally got fed up of Mintoff's antics so this withdrawal was going to be final and as places were vacated they were basically stripped and trashed. We were also told to be careful downtown - just before I got there a bootneck was beaten up by a gang of local youths and tossed into the bay.

Yes, but the whole area was like a ghost town - HM Government finally got fed up of Mintoff's antics so this withdrawal was going to be final and as places were vacated they were basically stripped and trashed. We were also told to be careful downtown - just before I got there a bootneck was beaten up by a gang of local youths and tossed into the bay.
Aha! That explains something I’d noticed and wondered about at the time. I first went to Malta in about 1994, and there was what had clearly been a military barracks, somewhat resembled a Sandhurst block. The thing was, it was completely trashed. Not even window frames, just the openings. I thought at the time that if it had been abandoned and then vandalized, there’d be smashed windows, not the windows frames completely and uniformly absent.

Cheers!

41 Commando group was stationed at St Andrews Barracks from 1972 until April 1977 when they moved to Deal.

They left a rifle company - Salerno company ( I think) based at RAF Luqa for defence of the airfield until the final withdrawel on the 31st March 1979.

3 Para were based at St Andrews barracks from 1968=70.

3 Para Malta.

41 Commando group was stationed at St Andrews Barracks from 1972 until April 1977 when they moved to Deal.

They left a rifle company - Salerno company ( I think) based at RAF Luqa for defence of the airfield until the final withdrawel on the 31st March 1979.

3 Para were based at St Andrews barracks from 1968=70.

3 Para Malta.
I didn't realise that 41 had stayed on until 1977 - I was attached to the Commando Gunners and they were definitely withdrawn to the Royal Citadel in Plymouth in Autumn 1976. The original plan was to disband 41 and the Commando Gunners to lose 2 gun batteries (79 & 145). In the event, because of the dire shortage of Infantry and increasing commitments in Northern Ireland, 41 was retained and the gunners kept 79 battery.

I think 41 Cdo was finally disbanded in 1981 in deal. I am suprised that they haven't resurrected the name. Cdo Log Regt to 41 Cdo. They seem to be doing it with every other sub unit of 3 Cdo Bde RM.

Last edited:
I didn't realise that 41 had stayed on until 1977 - I was attached to the Commando Gunners and they were definitely withdrawn to the Royal Citadel in Plymouth in Autumn 1976. The original plan was to disband 41 and the Commando Gunners to lose 2 gun batteries (79 & 145). In the event, because of the dire shortage of Infantry and increasing commitments in Northern Ireland, 41 was retained and the gunners kept 79 battery.
Wasn't there 95 Cdo Regiment RA which disbanded in 1975 with 148 Bty being retained as NGFLO at Poole but being part of 29 Cdo RA at Plymouth ?

exspy

LE
If you wish to do this the hard way, and why wouldn't you, go to 'British Army since 1945' and go through each regiment and corps one-by-each. The site also covers RM commandos. You can find the site here.

Good luck,
Dan.

Wasn't there 95 Cdo Regiment RA which disbanded in 1975 with 148 Bty being retained as NGFLO at Poole but being part of 29 Cdo RA at Plymouth ?
95 Cdo Regt. became 95 Cdo Forward Observation Unit (FOU) at Poole and was then (1974) an independent unit. 95 Cdo Regiment was amalgamated with 29 Cdo based at the Citadel with 4 gun batteries (2 detached, 7 Bty in Arbroath, 8 Bty in Malta). After the 1975(?) defence review that closed down Malta, 29 was to lose 2 gun batteries and 95 FOU remustered as 148 Cdo FO Bty, still at Poole (where it remains to this day). In the event, 79 Bty was retained and 29 got a Para TA Bty (289 IIRC) remustered as Commando.

oldbaldy

LE
8 Battery were in St George's Barracks from August 1974 until June 1977, as already said there was also a troop from 59 Sqn RE & a troop from 148 Battery & also Salerno Flight of Commando Air Squadron were there. 8 Battery took over from 79 Kirkee Commando Battery who arrived there in 1972.

8 Battery were in St George's Barracks from August 1974 until June 1977, as already said there was also a troop from 59 Sqn RE & a troop from 148 Battery & also Salerno Flight of Commando Air Squadron were there. 8 Battery took over from 79 Kirkee Commando Battery who arrived there in 1972.
Old Baldy, are you sure they were there until 1977 - I remember doing an exercise with them on the Plain in November 76 and they were back in the Citadel then.

oldbaldy

LE
Old Baldy, are you sure they were there until 1977 - I remember doing an exercise with them on the Plain in November 76 and they were back in the Citadel then.
Yes it was 77, the Battery did go back on excercise in 76 though. I left the battery in March 77 just before 41 went down to Salerno Company..

Yes it was 77, the Battery did go back on excercise in 76 though. I left the battery in March 77 just before 41 went down to Salerno Company..
Had they re-equipped with the Light Gun then or still had the 105mm Pack? I remember shovelling shells up the back end of one when the guys were short of gun subs.

oldbaldy

LE
They didn't convert to the light gun until they returned to the Citadel, last battery in the Regt to have the pack. I'll see if I can find a pic of the withdrawal parade in St Andrew's Barracks with the packs.

They didn't convert to the light gun until they returned to the Citadel, last battery in the Regt to have the pack. I'll see if I can find a pic of the withdrawal parade in St Andrew's Barracks with the packs.
I know that when the decision was made to retain 79 Bty, there were not enough Light Guns for them so they kept the 105 Packs for a considerable while before they were replaced.