• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Infamy - The real bad lads Army

There have been Bill Oddies of all sorts throughout history, some heroic and others, for this purposes of this thread, not so nice.

I am interested in stories of the bad ones. Apart from MDN, who'd molest anything with a pulse, including old people, dogs, yoof and himself, there have been some bad lads in the forces. Who are they? I'd like to kick the ball rolling with this fine example of how not to serve your country. Ex squadies also apply, so Dennis Nilson can be included.

Grantham was born in Camberwell, London and enlisted in the British Army in 1965, at the age of 18. On 3 December the following year he attempted to rob a German taxi driver, Felix Reese; when it went wrong, Grantham shot him dead in his cab.[1][2][3] In his statement to the police following his arrest, he claimed that he did not know the gun was loaded and it had gone off during a struggle with the taxi driver. He was subsequently convicted of murder.

Grantham was then sentenced to life imprisonment with a recommended minimum of 11 years. Although he had committed the killing in Osnabrück, Germany, he served the full length of his sentence in British prisons. This was because soldiers and officers convicted of any criminal offence that warrants a sentence of over three months are automatically transferred to HM Prison Service, since they are also automatically dishonourably discharged. Grantham was released in 1977, having served just over 10 years. While he was in Leyhill Prison, he acted in several plays for inmates and members of the public, and edited the prison newspaper. He was encouraged to get more involved in acting professionally by disgraced politician T. Dan Smith whom he met at Leyhill.
There was a rumour that they had Herr Reese's bullet damaged skull at the RMP 'black museum' at Chichester in the late eighties to early nineties.

Anyone else got any, living or dead, still serving or serving time? :D

Kray Twins spent a very brief period of National Service with The Fusiliers at The Tower, before entering into a "correctional facility" at Shepton Mallet.

John Reginald Halliday Christie - Royal Signals

Who told you MDN required his victims to have a pulse?

theoriginalphantom said:
I believe his only stipulation is that they must have had a pulse at sometime.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Harry Roberts the notorious cop killer served in Kenya and Malaya (where he distinguished himself) in, I think, the Royal West Kents. Finally up for parole this year. He shot two coppers in the the Braybrook St massacre in 1966 in Shepherds Bush, and his mate shot another.

I remember a football terrace chant sung along to "London Bridge" that went something like:

Harry Roberts is our friend
Is our friend, is our friend
He kills coppers

Shoots the bastards with a gun
With a gun, with a gun
Harry Roberts

Shoots the bastards two by two
Two by two, two by two
He kills coppers

Let him out to kill some more
Kill some more, kill some more
Harry Roberts

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
RP578 said:
Harry Roberts the notorious cop killer served in Kenya and Malaya (where he distinguished himself) in, I think, the Royal West Kents. Finally up for parole this year. He shot two coppers in the the Braybrook St massacre in 1966 in Shepherds Bush, and his mate shot another.

I remember a football terrace chant sung along to "London Bridge" that went something like:

Is our friend, is our friend
He kills coppers

With a gun, with a gun
Harry Roberts

Two by two, two by two
He kills coppers

Let him out to kill some more
Kill some more, kill some more
Harry Roberts

Sorry, not West kents, was a Greenjacket ( before they became Royal) He served in 3rd Battalion The GreenJackets (Rifle Brigade). An 'elite corps of marksmen'. Sadly, he was well trained, and had served in Recce Pln.

Idi Amin served with a Scottish Regt (The Black Watch I think) while fighting the Mau Mau in Kenya.

Went on to be a total fcuk headed lunatic. It doesn't get much more infamous than that. Unless Pol Pot was a para.

IDI Amin was in the Kings African Rifles but in later life fancied himself by wearing an Argyles glengarry! Certainly not in the Black Watch.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
rebel_with_a_cause said:
theoriginalphantom said:
I believe his only stipulation is that they must have had a pulse at sometime.
He's being a bit lax with his own 'stipulations'! I have it on good authority that he has molested a number of melons and even cucumbers. A quick check in my almanac tells me that these items did not have a pulse. It could be considered that hoover pipes have a pulse of sorts (50hz), so I'll let that one pass.

pimpernel said:
IDI Amin was in the Kings African Rifles but in later life fancied himself by wearing an Argyles glengarry! Certainly not in the Black Watch.
I do believe he took up the Argyles head dress at the time he called himself the 'King of Scotland' one of the moments that came out of the recent 'Last King of Scotland' movie.

Donald Neilson (Nappey before changing his name) AKA The Black Panther was a national serviceman (not sure which lot he was with) prior to embarking on a career of armed blaggings and the murders of a number of Post Masters. His second nefarious occupation culminated in the Murder of Lesley Whittle in 1974/5 and an indefinate stretch at her majesties pleasure.

Pontius Pilate, a right b*stard he was. Served in a famous Scottish Regiment.

Not the Royals, of course. We can tell because he washed his hands, once.

SuperTrooper said:
There have been Bill Oddies of all sorts throughout history, some heroic and others, for this purposes of this thread, not so nice.

I am interested in stories of the bad ones. Apart from MDN, who'd molest anything with a pulse, including old people, dogs, yoof and himself, there have been some bad lads in the forces. Who are they? I'd like to kick the ball rolling with this fine example of how not to serve your country. Ex squadies also apply, so Dennis Nilson can be included.

Grantham was born in Camberwell, London and enlisted in the British Army in 1965, at the age of 18. On 3 December the following year he attempted to rob a German taxi driver, Felix Reese; when it went wrong, Grantham shot him dead in his cab.[1][2][3] In his statement to the police following his arrest, he claimed that he did not know the gun was loaded and it had gone off during a struggle with the taxi driver. He was subsequently convicted of murder.

Grantham was then sentenced to life imprisonment with a recommended minimum of 11 years. Although he had committed the killing in Osnabrück, Germany, he served the full length of his sentence in British prisons. This was because soldiers and officers convicted of any criminal offence that warrants a sentence of over three months are automatically transferred to HM Prison Service, since they are also automatically dishonourably discharged. Grantham was released in 1977, having served just over 10 years. While he was in Leyhill Prison, he acted in several plays for inmates and members of the public, and edited the prison newspaper. He was encouraged to get more involved in acting professionally by disgraced politician T. Dan Smith whom he met at Leyhill.
There was a rumour that they had Herr Reese's bullet damaged skull at the RMP 'black museum' at Chichester in the late eighties to early nineties.

Anyone else got any, living or dead, still serving or serving time? :D
No rumour, it's true, I went through my basic training at RMPTC in 86 and it was there then :dead:

"Harry Roberts - he's our man
He shoots coppers -bang, bang, bang".
1966/67 Football season.

He's got a mention in a book I've got, NS Lance-jack in the Rifle Brigade, Malaya and Kenya. As already stated, he shot three policemen (killing two) in 1966, got caught bivvied up near Bishop's Stortford, Essex. He had previous for handling stolen goods, before he was called up. Considered for parole in 1993, turned down after Police objections. He's just become eligible for parole again, I think, in the last few weeks. He might want to think about a new line for his next appeal, as he has previously opined that "...it's like people I killed in Malaya when I was in the Army. You don't feel remorse".

Donald Neilson, aka the Black Panther, did 2 years as an NS conscript in the KOYLI. Served in Kenya v the Mau Mau, Cyprus v EOKA, Aden v the Usual Suspects.
According to Stephen Valentine's 'Black Panther Story', "Few national servicemen can have served in so many trouble spots as Nappy (Neilson) did in his two years with the Queen, or seen so much action. It was perhaps an experience he never recovered from".
He went on to knock off Post Offices at gunpoint, in DPM, netted £20,000 by 1974, but did for three blokes while he was at it, and injured several more. Ventured into the kidnapping arena in 1975, asking £50,000 ransom for Lesley Whittle, the rest is history. He got four life sentances for the murders, plus 61 years for kidnapping.

I think Callan had a fondness for Post Offices aswell.