Inf or RAC? Does it matter? Help please. Read on ...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Stan_Da_Bout, Apr 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son is joining the RAC regs at some stage in the future. He is currently in full time education and is keen to get into the green so he is joining the TA. Our very much local is Inf but there is a RAC unit which is just enough of a 'pain in the ass' distance away.

So, the question is... As he is set on RAC will it be of benefit to join an armoured TA unit before the regs, or make no difference?

TBH. I think it is worth it as I'm ex-RAC myself, I said tanks are tanks but I've been out a few years so I'm not in the loop anymore.

Thanks in advance.

2. Not a bad idea really. Same situation for me (full time education), but RMP instead of RAC. But. I think transferring is annoying and *sigh*, get used to hearing 'back door entry'.

3. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Being TA Inf won't make a difference when he applies for the Regs (whatever cap badge). He will still need a letter of recommendation from his CO and authority from Glasgow. In some areas there is only one TA unit in reach of people so that is their only option.

What RAC unit is looking for in the future? Only asking as some of the RAC TA units (cavalry) don't have that much armour any more.

Hope this helps a bit

4. Bypass TA and go straight to reg inf upon completion of full time education. Naturally.

5. When he joins the Regs, he'll get no particular advantage to having done TA RAC over TA Inf. So it makes more sense to join his local unit, less commuting, local mates etc. And if its RIFLES, so much the better. I'm out of date but "Armoured TA" may be a relative term: which Regt/Sqn would it be and what exactly is its role, eqpt etc?

6. How's ITC going T L :) ?

7. Good advice chaps. Many thanks.

He's thinking of joining the RTR. The TA armour is the Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry. I've heard they are a good unit. I have no experience you them personally.

8. Join the RMLY (despite the rumours of being chopped) they are a very good unit doing some interesting conversion training and will still be around in the future.

9. Rmly is going to be scrapped and thats from my guy at the MOD

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

10. Your guy at the MOD sure has his finger on the pulse. It's only been public knowledge for 10 days!

Got yourself a good source there.

11. Have known for a whil but been abroad for last two months on cruise. I know, bit late init. Haha

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)