Inf Coy 2ic

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by spotrep, May 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. recently left the regulars, non-teeth arm capbadge but some teeth arm experience, soon to take over as 2ic of an inf coy... advice? help? words of wisdom? unbridled abuse?
  2. Lie, cheat, blame your platoon commanders, backstab your boss, carry a litre of vodka in your bergan, find a quiet office to hide out in, shout alot.

Piece of cake.

You're welcome :D
  3. and there i was thinking that my past experience wouldn't come in handy. excellent news.
  4. Haha, you'll do fine.

Rifle coy 2ic can be a pretty busy, especially if not had the benefit of a few years as a PC watching how it was done. I reckon you're gonna have to hit the books a bit. There is material out there on what is expected of you, but mainly get talking; to your OC, ask what he expects from you; to your counterparts in other companies, maybe try shadowing if possible one weekend; your CSM will be very important as will the SPSI. If they are worth their salt they'll be more than happy to yarn away for a few hours on the subject. If you are straight up and go cap in hand for advice then people will set you on the right path. Anything to avoid the feckups that will make everybody's life harder. Bluff is not enough. Too important a job to try to cuff it.
  5. mate, that's fantastic, exactly what i'm after; the shadowing idea sounds like a particularly good one. i'm hitting the books already (Comd & Staff Procedures, etc) and still find MK1 a good reference. enrolling for MK2 shortly. is this the direction you were implying, or something more specific-to-arm? the co intends for me to complete PTC and possibly the close recce cse before i'm in post. anything else spring to mind?
  6. Yep, exactly. If you can do PTC then go for it. Enjoyable (haha, well afterwards in retrospect) course and a great opportunity to see the wheels in motion. You'll have done inf before at sandbags obviously but nothing like doing it properly.
    Books wise then devour the inf coy pams and become a geek on everything tactically and logistically.

Not rocket science advice I know, but simple. Its a tough job in the TA i reckon as unlike in a reg btln you likely wont have the contact with other coy 2ic's on a regular basis. Alot of the barracks admin will be similar to what you'll have seen in your non-teeth arms unit. But in the field will be the real test. But if you can swing going along on another companies FTX and work in their CP and shadow the OC too you'll build up the picture soon enough. Maybe take a stint as their 2is's radio sherpa to get involved. Or if time off work allows then check out your affiliated reg btlns (if they are not all on tour) and see if you can get on one of their exercises. Alot of depth to the job though, and often a pretty thankless one. But hey, somebodies got to do it. You'll still be learning in a year. Goes without saying but 120 guys (ok, its TA, so 40...) will be unhappy if bluff it out and get caught out.
    The real problem at coy level for officers often used to be that there simply weren't enough good guys with experience in role. The good PCs left as work pressures built up and the less gifted guys stayed and got promoted. 3 out of 4 OCs in my btln (no names) were real real shockers. And most the 2ics were pretty shaky too. But now so many of the guys and PCs have done Op tours or got reg experience the bar is definately definately being raised and people taking it more seriously. I dont think it will be too long before the last of the old guard of OCs and 2ics with no tour medals are gone. If you've got a good work ethic and Op experience you'll do fine mate.
  7. a geek! ah, now geek i can do. :D
  8. Ha, then you fell right into the geek trap!!

Have you ever considered a career in the RLC? This infantry things not working out... ;)

Actually the 2ic is generally the least gung ho job in the company (except maybe CQMS). But you will be on standy to step up to do the OCs job much more likely than in a non-inf role. So you'll be learning everthing about his job too obviously. All good fun. Best job is still PC though so defo do the course. Bread and butter stuff. If cant run a platoon in the field effectively it'll be tough. The company role will be much harder unless you know what you are asking your 3 PCs to do. That would be the quickest way to loose influence if you start making un-informed and unrealistic demands. We had a FLt join from reg RAF regt. He would normally have been 2ic equiv but he did time as a PC for a year to learn the army way of doing inf. Fair play to him, he loved it and was great. If time/manning allows then this might be worth considering.

Anyway, all kinda general rather than specifics, but best of luck old chap. Hope you enjoy the role!
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

All of the advice about tactical awareness, commanding the Coy etc is sound. However it is also vital is to develop a very good working relationship with the PSIs and G4 world.

A large part of your job will be planning and implimenting training. Get the G4 support you need, and the tactical advice the PSI has to offer and the blokes will get quality training. Fail in either and the training will suffer.

You are mainly a training officer, not a bayonet between the teeth fighting machine!

10. not even a little bit? :(

11. Without disputing any of the opinion above, whether you will have any opportunities to run around with fixed bayonets is down to you and your OC. If you don't have an infantry back ground, it might be a good idea to command the odd platoon or company attack in order to learn a bit more about the infantry role especially if you're going to stick with the infantry.
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Occasionally. Bet you spend more time up to your ears in MATT results though :D
  13. all cracking stuff, chaps. many thanks! :)
  14. Best advice so far is do PCBC (TA) as soon as possible. The difference between Sandbags infantry and real infantry is quite a large mental one, so 'Nike', mate.

You are going to be Mr G4 for the company and will be the C2 hub when on exercise. Get to know your PSAO, PSI, and NRPS staff as they will be the main conduits through which good admin flows.

Good, common-sense, progressive training plans devolved to the platoon staff are a good first step, especially where you have strong platoon sergeants to grip the JNCO instructors. The CSM should be a font of advice if he's worthy of his badge.

Don't be afraid to ask opinions from your subbies and sergeants, they'll be happy to have an input into training events and the good ones may even volunteer to plan and arrange a training weekend or two, taking the pressure off.

For work in the field, be prepared for looooong hours and even less sleep than normal. You'll be stagging on in the CP except when you're out on task. You'll need to brush up your sigs; even if you have a signaller, the two of you are likely to be monitoring different nets so speed and accuracy will be down to you on your one.

I can put my hand on my heart and say that, thanks to my OC being out of action for nearly a year, my time as 21C was the most fun of my time in the TA. I got to run the Company the way I thought it should be run and to play with the trainset unmolested most weekends.