Inexpensive trip to Paris with my 2 Ladies.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by SamCro, Sep 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to do a last minute trip next weekend with my 2 ladies, one of whom is only 13 months old to Paris.

I'm not cheap, but I'd like to keep the cost down on wear to stay, and avoid having to drive in Paris.

What I'm thinking is ferry from Dover Friday, stay somewhere nice outside Paris, train into town Sat and Sun, mooch around the sites.

Any tips, recommendations, pitfalls to avoid would be welcomed, particularly getting around the Paris underground with a pram.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Why not just take the Eurostar?
    Its a good season, not too busy, stay in town. You have to go a long way outside to find somewhere nice, not worth it for a weekend.
    Look for some of the good hotel deals with the big 4* chains as a starting point, or opodo/expedia etc for a complete package.
    Cannot help you with the pram problem, but I manage fine with a wheeled business suitcase.
  3. Chantilly is nice and an easy train journey into Paris. Use the bus rather than the métro if you have a pushchair. It is also much easier to walk around the centre rather than use public transport (lots of stairs and barriers to negotiate).If you are a serving officer you can stay in the FR Officers' Club: hope it is not this weekend, the Prix de l'Arc is on and everything is booked up me if you have specific questionsfmp
  4. The Château de Chantilly has magnificent grounds which are good for children to run around and the horse museum is worth a visit too. There is a nice little racecourse if you are into racing, as well as an English tea room and Anglican Church (originally built for the anglophone racing community and stable lads, not sure how many of the latter attended services!). It is also the home of crème de Chantilly - the French version of whipped cream. Insert your own cream and lace jokes here ....
  5. Reiterate fairmaidofperth's point about the Metro/RER with a buggy. It is an absolute nightmare & unless you & Mrs SamCro are prepared to physically manhandle the chariot over barriers/up & down stairs you will not get around easily. There are virtually no wide-access gates and very many of the gates are un manned so there are no staff to assist in any way.

I'd also avoid the area round Sacre Coeur like the plague if you have a buggy. There are some very, very agressive, drugged up, drunk, black beggars round there who will not take no for an answer. You need to be able to bug out fast - I had a needle pulled on me there relatively recently when I was looking after MrsPlume's lovely but very un streetwise nieve & nephew from NZ.
  6. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Potentially controversial suggestion here, but we did it last year and worked well (admittedly without a kid)

We managed to get a last minute deal at one of the Disney Hotels - actually pretty cheap and not that Disney-ish.

The bonus is that there's shuttle buses every 2 minutes from the hotel to the train station. Then every 15 minutes there's a Eurostar (15-20 minutes) straight into the centre of Paris. The other bonus is that its always easy to find your way back to Disney, and back at the hotel everyone will speak the Queen's English.
  7. It's alright, foreigners understand English if you E-N-U-N-C-I-A-T-E, speak S-L-O-W-L-Y and assume you are dealing with an educationally sub normal child.

If that doesn't work, then you can start shouting :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It's not easy negotiating a pushchair in Paris, be prepared to carry it up and down stairs. However, getting a cello through the barriers is even worse!
  9. When Miss Flaggie was smaller, we used one of these to tote her around and she loved it:

eaves both hands free for other luggage/tickets/whatever, and is much more pleasant than getting through the Paris Métro with a pushchair, which we've also done.

No idea what Eurostar charge, but EasyJet would be around £300 return for two adults and an infant.
    Having said which, Eurostar is loads more civilized.
  10. It's not cheap. but there's a very good apartment hotel job out by the Stade de France. Immediately next to it is a very good brasserie type place.

The advantage of the appartment hotel was it had a mini-kitchen so we could warm stuff up for MasterPlume & the room could be divided so he could sleep & MrsPlume & I could get up to what adults want to get up to in Gay Paree (catching up on sleep mainly :wink: )

The local area is no great shakes & was essentially closed on a Sunday when we arrived, hence my first ever meal in Paris with MrsPlume was in the Scottish Restaurant (although you can, I confirm, get a beer in there...)
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Drove down to Sant Germain le Faye last friday it was a breeze. Nice suburb and only 26 mins on the RER to La Defense where you can jump on the metro. Le chunnel cost me £56 each way and although I turned up early on the way out and on the way back I got earlier crossings at no cost.
  12. If you are looking for a quick tour of the major sites then check out the following :The Foxity Concept | Paris sightseeing tour

As mentioned above, Disneyland has loads of hotels and it is a short train journey into the centre. You would be safer there than some dodgy suburb. West of Paris is safe but more expensive. Disney hotels - Hotels in Paris - Disneyland® Resort Paris

Keep your passports and money safe, avoid Romanian gypsies and do not pick up any rings from the pavement ....

There is a sliding scale for drinks, cheapest is standing at the bar, then sitting down, priciest is outside. Sometimes the price goes up at night. It costs a fortune to drink (even a coffee) at tourist spots. You are much better off finding where the locals hang out.

If you can, eat here, my favourite restaurant, I've been a regular since 1979 .... Bouillon Chartier

Rue Mouffetard is worth a visit, it is an open air market and full of atmosphere.

Bon weekend!
  13. Rather then going there to see the sights, smell stinky french people and gralic....and eat crap french food....just use Google Maps with street view.....all the sights with none of the crowds.
  14. When I lived in Paris over 20 years ago, Rue Mouffetard was also a good street for finding a restaurant with atmosphere, without breaking the bank.