INEOS Grenadier 4X4

It'll be interesting how the Grenadier competes, especially with a £30-45,000 price tag.

Classic ploy to get concessions from council/government - it'll be built in the UK once he's happy - standard negotiation tactic.
As @giatttt says . . . .

Something of a nuanced argument, whether “Money is (not) everything” !!

How much cash would be involved, when, for how long and where, do you re-train 500 hairy-knuckled Welshmen, who have been used to casting, milling, assembling and torqueing-down Ford’s engines?

The car assembly workers at the Mercedes (former SMART) factory in France, are already familiar with the car assembly processes and requirements.

Yer' man Ratcliffe, is very much an “Internationalist”, if not exactly “European” . . . as I am certain INEOS would like their new Grenadier to be regarded!! Axles from the tractor maker in Italy. Engines from BMW. Engineering advice and expertise from Europe.

Daimler will also be keen to avoid redundancy payments, and the costs associated with decommissioning and decontaminating their site in France . . . if no buyer can be found.

1594129790461.png

Last edited:
I have owned various Hilux and Landcruisers but now will never buy a new Toyota again because they don't import a single vehicle I want to buy

Blame the EU whole fleet regulations for that.

Works for me as im frog side and would be more than happy to work in the test and evaluation department.

Especially if it comes with company "car" and im allowed nay encouraged to use in keeping with its design

As @giatttt says . . . .

Something of a nuanced argument, whether “Money is (not) everything” !!

How much cash would be involved, when, for how long and where, do you re-train 500 hairy-knuckled Welshmen, who have been used to casting, milling, assembling and torqueing-down Ford’s engines?

The car assembly workers at the Mercedes (former SMART) factory in France, are already familiar with the car assembly processes and requirements.

Yer' man Ratcliffe, is very much an “Internationalist”, if not exactly “European” . . . as I am certain INEOS would like their new Grenadier to be regarded!! Axles from the tractor maker in Italy. Engines from BMW. Engineering advice and expertise from Europe.

Daimler will also be keen to avoid redundancy payments, and the costs associated with decommissioning and decontaminating their site in France . . . if no buyer can be found.

View attachment 487864

Honda have a spare factory in Swindon....

Posted in the New DEFENDER thread, and in the INEOS thread.

DO NOT (YET) BUY A NEW DISCOVERY 5 . . . the price of the existing new vehicles will soon be reduced to “move” existing stock, and after the “face-lift” who knows ?!

+ + + + + + + + + +

Published by AUTOCAR magazine, on 08 JULY 2020.

Our innovator STURMEY AWARD winner - GERRY McGOVERN long-serving design director at Land Rover.

We talk about the Discovery, the current design he agrees hasn’t been as successful as the rest.

Jerry McGovern (page 43) “I think I allowed myself – and the team – to be too influenced by the established visual DNA of previous Discoverys, stuff like the offset number plate and stepped roof . . . (it does) have a massive rear quarter . . . our facelift, which is imminent, will make changes that improve it significantly . . . “

It is clear, however, that McGovern thinks the next all-new Discovery, probably four years away, will provide an opportunity for real change.

Jerry McGovern (page 43) “We won’t alter its breadth of capability,” he says, “but we’ll make sure it’s perfectly differentiated from the Range Rover and that’ll optimise its appeal”.

1594376111684.png

Posted in the New DEFENDER thread, and in the INEOS thread.

DO NOT (YET) BUY A NEW DISCOVERY 5 . . . the price of the existing new vehicles will soon be reduced to “move” existing stock, and after the “face-lift” who knows ?!

+ + + + + + + + + +

Published by AUTOCAR magazine, on 08 JULY 2020.

Our innovator STURMEY AWARD winner - GERRY McGOVERN long-serving design director at Land Rover.

We talk about the Discovery, the current design he agrees hasn’t been as successful as the rest.

Jerry McGovern (page 43) “I think I allowed myself – and the team – to be too influenced by the established visual DNA of previous Discoverys, stuff like the offset number plate and stepped roof . . . (it does) have a massive rear quarter . . . our facelift, which is imminent, will make changes that improve it significantly . . . “

It is clear, however, that McGovern thinks the next all-new Discovery, probably four years away, will provide an opportunity for real change.

Jerry McGovern (page 43) “We won’t alter its breadth of capability,” he says, “but we’ll make sure it’s perfectly differentiated from the Range Rover and that’ll optimise its appeal”.

View attachment 488560
Just found the following . . . . ;) !

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

DISCOVERY
Enhanced offers available on selected Discovery vehicles, up to £8,500 Finance Deposit Allowance and APR 3.9%.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Similar "discount" on "full-fat" Range-Rover, but with higher 5.9% APR, and - of course - totally market position/price category.

Just found the following . . . . ;) !

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

DISCOVERY
Enhanced offers available on selected Discovery vehicles, up to £8,500 Finance Deposit Allowance and APR 3.9%.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Similar "discount" on "full-fat" Range-Rover, but with higher 5.9% APR, and - of course - totally market position/price category.
A bit of Fred Drift but... Have you seen ‘Land Rover Pivotal

A ‘fresh' car every six months starting from just £550 up front and then:

£750/m for:
  • Discovery Sport
  • Evoque
  • Jaguar F-Pace
£1150/m for:
  • Discovery
  • Velar
  • Jaguar I-Pace
£1350/m gets a Range Rover Sport and
£1600/m gets a Full Fat Range Rover.

The ‘fresh‘ cars (note their use of the word ‘fresh’ rather than new) are not new - they can be up to two years old. 1500 miles per month limit, 20p/mile thereafter and insurance excesses apply.

The monthly payment includes everything except fuel but PCP for the same vehicles with tax, insurance and servicing/wear and tear items works out cheaper and you optionally get to buy the car you have nurtured at the end of the term.

Posted on the INEOS thread, and on the New DEFENDER thread , , ,

INEOS GRENADIER or LAND ROVER DEFENDER. Which one would you buy?

•Jul 8, 2020

Attacking a vehicle segment that most car makers have largely abandoned, is the Ineos Grenadier the Land Rover Defender replacement that the die-hard fans where hoping for? . . .

@bobthebuilder is the well known 4x4 writer, explorer and filmmaker, Andrew St Pierre White, and I claim my £5-00 !! ;) .

Last edited:

Latest Threads