INEOS Grenadier 4X4

RBMK

War Hero
The big buyers of 4x4s including LR Defenders, are not farmers but yuppies and nouveau rich pretending to be adventurous offroaders.

We have at least 3 regulars round here, one with a white 110, one with a black 110 fully tricked up with sand boards etc etc and a third one also in black with lots of chrome.

All of them are cleaner than my MX5 and I've not seen any of them with even the smallest speck of mud on them. The new Defender will be aimed at the yummy mummy and nouveauu rich again because that's where the sales and profit are.

cymraeg

War Hero
Always fancied a santana ps10 with the 2.8 Iveco engine.

The big buyers of 4x4s including LR Defenders, are not farmers but yuppies and nouveau rich pretending to be adventurous offroaders.

We have at least 3 regulars round here, one with a white 110, one with a black 110 fully tricked up with sand boards etc etc and a third one also in black with lots of chrome.

All of them are cleaner than my MX5 and I've not seen any of them with even the smallest speck of mud on them. The new Defender will be aimed at the yummy mummy and nouveauu rich again because that's where the sales and profit are.
The big buyers of 4x4s aren’t in the UK. The biggest selling car in the USA is the Ford F-150. The biggest in Australia is the Toyota Hilux. Toyota sell thousands of Landcruisers and Prados in both countries. I can see Landrover taking sales off those.

The Australian mining industry has been crying out for vehicles that have better primary safety than the old Japanese offerings; it’s no longer acceptable to put people out in vehicles that offer 1970s safety levels. They buy more 4x4 cars (not utes) a year than Landrover ever sold Defenders.
Ranger is IFS ? limited travel ...or at least the UK version is ...

We don't get the V8 Supercharged Patrol sadly....

In fact in the UK we struggle for any decent aftermarket kit for any upgrades ....

We don't get proper Cruisers ...
We don't often get the big engine versions ....

Still wouldn't buy a Defender on looks alone ....and have enough experience with Land/ Range Rover electrical woes not to trust the software in any of them even if the hardware is sorted......

Would however love to fill several containers with Aussie proper made camping and off road kit , upgrades for Landcruisers etc..... we can't even buy decent seat covers like Black Duck
Rangers have cart sprung live axles at the back, coils at the front. The Raptor has long travel coils all round; they’re in a different league off road to the Wildtrack. Big problem though; the rear suspension reduces the load bed size and the payload is under 2500 kg so it’s not a commercial vehicle. In the UK that means you can’t claim the VAT back. Here you can only claim GST on the first $50k; they don’t sell many Raptors as a result.

The current Patrol is in Range Rover territory; all leather and shiny plastic lights. It’s lost it’s utilitarian roots. You don’t see many of them around, even less the Infiniti abortion.

Last edited:
Rangers have cart sprung live axles at the back, coils at the front. The Raptor has long travel coils all round; they’re in a different league off road to the Wildtrack. Big problem though; the rear suspension reduces the load bed size and the payload is under 2500 kg so it’s not a commercial vehicle. In the UK that means you can’t claim the VAT back. Here you can only claim GST on the first $50k; they don’t sell many Raptors as a result.
A mate in Holland has a proper Raptor .... based on the F150 ??

What we get in the UK as a Ranger is a small IFS pickup with at best a 3.2 litre 5 cylinder engine and a live rear axle and little ground clearance built I think in Spain . They also market a "Raptor" version but it's little more than badges and plastic fender extensions with a slight lift .
We can buy an Artic Trucks version of the Hilux which has a suspension lift and fender flares but the engine is still standard and not the best Toyota have ever produced .

What we need is you Aussies to start getting some of your decent upgrades available over here ..... Graham's D Max performs pretty well and a lot of the tray back canopy conversions are great bits of kit .

I would love one of the Opus trailers ..........

A mate in Holland has a proper Raptor .... based on the F150 ??

What we get in the UK as a Ranger is a small IFS pickup with at best a 3.2 litre 5 cylinder engine and a live rear axle and little ground clearance built I think in Spain . They also market a "Raptor" version but it's little more than badges and plastic fender extensions with a slight lift .
We can buy an Artic Trucks version of the Hilux which has a suspension lift and fender flares but the engine is still standard and not the best Toyota have ever produced .

What we need is you Aussies to start getting some of your decent upgrades available over here ..... Graham's D Max performs pretty well and a lot of the tray back canopy conversions are great bits of kit .

I would love one of the Opus trailers ..........
Ford do sell the Ranger Raptor in the UK. Same car as we get here; near enough a complete re-engineering of the Ranger. Engine in 2.2l twin scroll turbo diesel in place of the 3.2 V6. Ford Ranger Raptor review | Autocar

Not sure if Ford sell the Everest in the UK; basically an SUV on the Ranger platform. Probably a bit big for the average Tesco car park, but they make a nice camping car if you don’t want to go far off-road. If only they did an Everest Raptor; they would be a special vehicle. You do see a fair few lifted and upgraded Everests around here; people spending $30-40k on work.

I've been reading up about the Grenadier. From a probably too simplistic view (i.e. mine when it comes to 4x4) it seems a more practical vehicle for people who need useful storage space, and different load configurations, than the hardtop Defender.
If a person or body wants to buy British, the Grenadier looks useful. What am i missing?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've been reading up about the Grenadier. From a probably too simplistic view (i.e. mine when it comes to 4x4) it seems a more practical vehicle for people who need useful storage space, and different load configurations, than the hardtop Defender.
If a person or body wants to buy British, the Grenadier looks useful. What am i missing?
In my case, a spare £30K

The big buyers of 4x4s aren’t in the UK. The biggest selling car in the USA is the Ford F-150. The biggest in Australia is the Toyota Hilux. Toyota sell thousands of Landcruisers and Prados in both countries. I can see Landrover taking sales off those.

The Australian mining industry has been crying out for vehicles that have better primary safety than the old Japanese offerings; it’s no longer acceptable to put people out in vehicles that offer 1970s safety levels. They buy more 4x4 cars (not utes) a year than Landrover ever sold Defenders.

The current Patrol is in Range Rover territory; all leather and shiny plastic lights. It’s lost it’s utilitarian roots. You don’t see many of them around, even less the Infiniti abortion.
Not only is the F-150 the #1 selling vehicle, the #2 (RAM) and #3 (Chevy Silverado) are also trucks. Not even included is the F-250/350, RAM 2500/3500 and GM 2500/3500, as they cross into commercial territory for some of the models. That said, they’re not all 4x4. In the south, you don’t necessarily want the weight/complexity/cost of it, so 4x2 is reasonably common in the south - although 4x4 is becoming more prevalent. My last three have been 4x4, and they’re easier to find than they were. Most of the Heavy/Super Duty are 4x4.

Quick Google tells me 2.7m trucks sold in 2019 with an average price of just under $30K.

For reference I'll post this on the New Defender thread, and also the Grenadier thread.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Originally published by: Matt Saunders, Road test editor, AUTOCAR magazine, on xx xxx xxxx.

Toyota Land Cruiser review. From £32,6997.

Toyota’s rough-and-ready, old-school, unstoppable 4x4 gets a bit less rough-and-ready. Likeably simple and functional, and worth considering if you need a genuine dual-purpose SUV.

We first sampled the updated 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser abroad, but our chance to take a view on it here in Britain just so happened to come in the week in which the cruellest winter weather for several years blew in.
Thus one ‘beast from the east’ met another (the car we know as the Land Cruiser, known as the Colorado previously and the Prado elsewhere in the world, is built primarily in Japan). And one made pretty short work of the other. You can probably guess which conquered which.

The Land Cruiser has a reputation for wilderness-taming robustness, unstoppable reliability and 4x4 capability that exceeds even that of Land Rover and Jeep. It’s not bought to survive the sand dunes of the Middle East, the prairies of South America or the Australian outback because it’s been designed ‘reductively’ or it’s available on a killer PCP deal. It's popular because it just keeps on going, come what may.
What has Toyota added to the 2018 Land Cruiser?

This generation of the Land Cruiser has been going since 2009, but has just had the latest in a series of small redesigns inside and out. I won’t call it a styling update; that’d be an insult. The Land Cruiser’s headlights and grille have been raised to better keep them out of the way of anything that might block or damage them. It has squarer front wings that make judging its extremities easier and a reprofiled bonnet so that you can better see large, pointy objects that are about to disappear under its wheels. Its front bumper has been reshaped, too, in order to make for the best possible approach angle. At no point, I'd like to think, have this car’s designers given much more than a passing thought to how ‘nice’ it looks.

As we reported last time around, the Land Cruiser’s body-on-frame construction survives (although it's been stiffened), and while the engine has been revised with a new turbo and a few other changes, it’s still a 2.8-litre four-cylinder diesel with an unspectacular-sounding 174bhp.

The car’s suspended by double wishbones up front and by a rigid axle secured by four links on each side at the rear. As standard, it comes with fixed-height steel coil springs, but top-of-the-line Invincible cars get adaptive dampers, an interlinked automatic roll stabilisation system and self-levelling air suspension for the rear wheels.

In terms of four-wheel drive hardware, there’s plenty going on, as you might imagine: a low-range transfer case, a torque sensing and lockable centre differential, a new lockable rear differential (fitted to top-line cars as standard) and a new Terrain Response-style off-road traction and stability control system called Multi Terrain Select.

Our test car came on Dunlop Grandtrek SUV tyres and had 215mm of ground clearance, 700mm of wading depth and a 31deg approach angle. So, all-corner air suspension or not, you can see why little might stop it.
What's the Toyota Land Cruiser like inside?

While attempts have been made to freshen and update this car’s interior to make it more refined and luxurious, and generally keep it broadly competitive with other SUVs you might spend £50,000 on, they’re of qualified success. And limited in scope, too – for good reasons. These are the kinds of revisions you expect of a car maker that knows its subject’s market positioning is about as secure as it could be and doesn’t think much needs fixing.

And so while Toyota’s interior updates have added a reshaped dashboard and a new instrument panel to the Invincible spec model, as well as a new centre console covered in shiny knobs and buttons for the various off-road modes, they haven’t exactly turned the Land Cruiser into a rival for an Audi Q7. Think of this car, instead, as a car of Land Rover Defender-level mud-plugging abilities, with the sort of interior comfort, quality and habitability you’d very happily accept and embrace in your everyday driver. The car’s heated and ventilated leather seats are soft and snug, and give you a great view out. Its fittings look and feel solid, and fairly expensive – but most of all, they’re plainly ready to last.

Further rearwards, the car now has sliding second-row seats and a third row that collapses properly into the boot floor rather than fold away upwards to take up boot space. It’s not a particularly roomy seven-seater by large SUV standards, but then it’s not a desperately large SUV.

Only the base-level, three-door Utility model has the choice between a manual or automatic gearbox; the rest of the range is exclusively served by the automatic. The Active model gains an 8.0in Touchscreen, DAB radio, dual-zone air conditioning, reversing camera and rear parking sensors. Power-adjustable seats, front parking sensors, adaptive cruise control and collision detection systems are added with the Icon model. The 5-mode drive select system, adaptive suspension and JBL sound system are reserved for the top-spec Invincible.
Driving the Toyota Land Cruiser

On the road, it’s certainly a smoother and more refined SUV than it used to be. Toyota’s efforts at putting manners on the car’s suspension and creating a calmer, less commercial-feeling ride quality consisted of fitting bigger dampers front and rear, reinforced suspension links and new bushings, as well as delivering longer-stroke wheel travel at the rear in particular. They have been successful. The Land Cruiser now feels fairly supple at low speeds and on the motorway, and while its body takes a long time to settle when the road surface is changing topography, it only moves around in a slow, gentle, low-amplitude, barely noticable sort of a way.

The car’s handling and body control remain of the sort you'd expect of a traditional SUV, rather than what you might of a 21st-century, 21in-wheeled, lowish-rise luxury sports SUV. You probably get twice as much body roll around a typical corner as you would in a road-biased alternative and perhaps two-thirds as much lateral grip – albeit delivered with plenty of stability, through fairly slow-geared, hydraulically assisted steering, and backed up by a decent electronic stability control system. But, of course, you are getting that in a genuine dual-purpose vehicle in which an unplanned excursion into a muddy field wouldn’t be touching the sides of what it’s actually designed to do. You don't find many new cars for which a designer or engineer might celebrate a raised centre of gravity; in this one, if such a change kept any major mechanicals further from harm as a result of grounding or offroading damage, you get the feeling they just might.

The Land Cruiser's on-road performance level is relatively low but, again, that's by the standards of cars whose engines probably couldn’t survive 10 days in the Atacama – running on ‘diesel’ that’s at least 40% alpaca sweat, and breathing more sand and dust than air – without going wrong.

So sure, on the road the Land Cruiser does feel slow; but it doesn’t feel like a failing. However, when people describe this as Toyota’s answer to the Range Rover, they are not only confusing their Land Cruisers (there’s a bigger one, formerly known to Brits as the Amazon, which is no longer sold here) but should perhaps be reminded that the last time a diesel Range Rover had this little power was the thick end of 20 years ago. The luxury 4x4 game’s moved on a bit since.

Not that a Land Cruiser driver would mind being reminded of that much, given how ruggedly invulnerable you feel at the wheel of this car. Credit to Toyota, also, for quietening down the engine considerably and better-sealing its interior from wind noise in this revised Land Cruiser. The engine retains a crochetty four-cylinder diesel growl, but it’s now hardly any noisier than plenty of other four-cylinder diesel SUVs are.
How does the Toyota Land Cruiser fare against other seven-seat SUVs?

This is a functional car – albeit a perfectly comfortable and pleasant one. If mounting the kerb at school kicking out time is the closest you get to off-roading, though, your needs would definitely be better served by a more typical modern SUV that’ll have better fuel economy and be easier to usher around the office car park.

That said, the Land Cruiser is certainly a likeable enough car to persuade you to develop a need for it. And if you really like the idea of owning one, Toyota has expanded the Land Cruiser model range to include a new entry-level 'Utility' trim level that, I’d wager, makes the car more affordable than you’d think.
Can’t justify a fully-loaded seven-seater? Then how about a three-door manual, on steel wheels, for less than £33,000? That’s the price of a mid-range BMW X1. And, apart from anything else, doesn’t it sound like the perfect one-fingered salute to everything that’s objectionable about the SUV-obsessed modern car market?

1593688752956.png

+ + + + + + + + + + +

I am still looking for the AUTOCAR Long-Term Review of the "three-door manual, on steel wheels, for less than £33,000?", which Matt Prior admits he became quite fond of, and (I think) summarised as "honest". Sentiments that will be appreciated by many viewing and posting on these two threads.

Last edited:
Found it . . . . ;) .

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Originally published by: Matt Prior, AUTOCAR, magazine, on 11 October 2019.

Life with a Toyota Land Cruiser: Month 12

You really get under a car’s skin after a 38,000-mile year. So what’s the verdict? - 25th September 2019.

I know there’s a new Land Rover Defender, and very nice it is too (or isn’t, depending on your outlook), but spare a thought for the forgotten 4x4, won’t you?

The Toyota Land Cruiser 3dr does what a new Defender 90 will do – perhaps more, perhaps less – and, while it’s at it, costs a lot less money and looks a lot more like Wile E Coyote’s head. Yet nobody seems to care about it like they do the Defender. I do. I’ve been running a Land Cruiser since this time last year.

This grey one, in very base Utility specification, at £33,995 plus only metallic paint, arrived from Toyota with just over 150 miles on the clock and has just returned to its maker (sob, sniff, etc) 38,000 miles later. All but 2000 of those have been added by me. I’ve driven more miles in this Land Cruiser than I have in probably any other car, ever; maybe excepting my own Land Rover Defender, which I’ve owned for seven years.

One of the reasons is simple: I’ve had a lot of places to go. But the other reason is that the Land Cruiser has slipped into my life so completely painlessly that, even for a car with big intentions and capabilities when it comes to off-roading, it’s actually a very straightforward family/ commuter car.

Let’s cover the everyday stuff first, then. The Toyota has five seats, good head and leg room in all, and the rear seat backs can be reclined. You can fit a good amount of luggage behind them in position – 380 litres – but they split and tumble forward to leave a decent cargo area, albeit with a high load height because of the offroad credentials and with a rear door that opens sideways, not upwards, because the rear door can be a spare wheel carrier. The rear window hinges up separately.

Road refinement and comfort – not something you’d always associate with a rufty-tufty separate-chassis 4x4 – is good. A colleague described the way the Land Cruiser rides on a motorway as lolling like the bottom jaw of a chewing cow. Slight exaggeration, but I know what he means: the Land Cruiser is a car of slow, steady movements, a soft ride and big cornering lean.

It is not a car you drive quickly on back roads, then, although with leggy gearing in the six-speed manual gearbox and good high-speed stability, plus low road noise levels and comfortable seats, I’ve found it a great long-distance cruiser.

At a cruise, you can return an mpg figure in the high 30s if you drive very slowly but a typical overall return is about 33mpg, giving the Land Cruiser a range of easily 550 miles (more if you’re brave).

It comes without a raft of entertainment, telecoms, comfort equipment or driver aids – just cruise control, manual air conditioning and Bluetooth, really, but that’s enough for me. It doesn’t bong incessantly and I don’t have to turn anything off when I climb into it.

It’s also brilliant off road. Obviously. We’ve done 4x4 videos with it where it has performed superbly and recently our sibling magazine What Car? conducted an off-road ‘mega-test’ that the Land Cruiser won. It gets that separate chassis, great departure and break-over angles, low-range transfer box and locking centre differential and the 2.8-litre diesel has bags of torque – 310lb ft from 1400rpm. M’colleagues found a Mercedes G-Class and Jeep Wrangler, which have a greater number of locking differentials, crossed some terrain more easily, but they’re both rather more expensive than the Toyota.

The car, as you’d hope and expect, has been faultless, although its straightforward nature extends even to servicing, which it wants every 10,000 miles rather than having a variable schedule.

Toyota offers fixed-price servicing – £250 every 10,000 miles, £395 every 20,000, in the Land Cruiser’s case. The only issue with this is that, for diesels, the price includes £12 for AdBlue exhaust treatment, regardless of whether or not your car needs topping up. Given the Land Cruiser seems to want 10 litres every 5000 miles and the containers hold 10 litres, you can plan so it needs it. The advantage is that it doesn’t matter which dealer you visit because you know how much the service will cost. At least, that’s the idea.

I visited Inchcape Toyota Oxford, but although the work they carried out was fine, I can’t recommend you do the same. Partly because it shouldn’t have been beholden on me to inform the service manager AdBlue was included in the price when he said he’d “always” charged extra for it. But mostly because, once told, he was disinclined to find out how many customers he’d overcharged to reimburse them. I doubt there’ll be many, but that’s hardly the point. Inchcape say that if affected customers contact them, they’ll refund them.

The car, at least, was harder to fault. Over nearly 40,000 miles, it showed no visible sign of wear and no consumables expired. It was on the same brakes and everything else it arrived with, with a good 5mm of tread left on the tyres. I’d have probably replaced the fronts, and the windscreen wiper blades, before the winter had it stuck around. But it hasn’t, which is a shame.

There are more glamorous alternatives to the Land Cruiser, but if you want a truly rugged, versatile 4x4 that is as straightforward and dependable as turning on a tap, you know where to turn.

+ + + + + + +
Second Opinion

When I saw Matt was running a three-door Utility-spec ’Cruiser, I thought he’d gone mad. However, its comfortable motorway ride and satisfying manual ’box won me over. I still think white bodywork and ‘UN’ stickers on the doors would have complemented the steelies to a tee, though.

Alan Taylor Jones
+ + + + + + +

1593690765589.png

RBMK

War Hero
The Landcruiser really makes good sense, unless like me, you cover 20,000+ miles per year, the difference bwetween my Volvo XC40 and the Landcruiser being more than £1,500 per year just in fuel costs. That's more than £30 per week.

I gave the Toyota serious thought when I had my Disco 2 but the prices being asked for a hammered Toyota were the same as for a good condition D2!

For reference I'll post this on the New Defender thread, and also the Grenadier thread.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Originally published by: Matt Saunders, Road test editor, AUTOCAR magazine, on xx xxx xxxx.

Toyota Land Cruiser review. From £32,6997.

Toyota’s rough-and-ready, old-school, unstoppable 4x4 gets a bit less rough-and-ready. Likeably simple and functional, and worth considering if you need a genuine dual-purpose SUV.

We first sampled the updated 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser abroad, but our chance to take a view on it here in Britain just so happened to come in the week in which the cruellest winter weather for several years blew in.
Thus one ‘beast from the east’ met another (the car we know as the Land Cruiser, known as the Colorado previously and the Prado elsewhere in the world, is built primarily in Japan). And one made pretty short work of the other. You can probably guess which conquered which.

The Land Cruiser has a reputation for wilderness-taming robustness, unstoppable reliability and 4x4 capability that exceeds even that of Land Rover and Jeep. It’s not bought to survive the sand dunes of the Middle East, the prairies of South America or the Australian outback because it’s been designed ‘reductively’ or it’s available on a killer PCP deal. It's popular because it just keeps on going, come what may.

Can’t justify a fully-loaded seven-seater? Then how about a three-door manual, on steel wheels, for less than £33,000? That’s the price of a mid-range BMW X1. And, apart from anything else, doesn’t it sound like the perfect one-fingered salute to everything that’s objectionable about the SUV-obsessed modern car market?

View attachment 486575

+ + + + + + + + + + +

I am still looking for the AUTOCAR Long-Term Review of the "three-door manual, on steel wheels, for less than £33,000?", which Matt Prior admits he became quite fond of, and (I think) summarised as "honest". Sentiments that will be appreciated by many viewing and posting on these two threads.
That’s not a Landcruiser anywhere else but the UK; it’s a Prado. Basically a 30 year old design that is right at the end of its life in terms of primary safety, fuel consumption and emissions compliance.

Toyota have done nothing about replacing this vehicle (or any of the other Landcruisers). It’s a generation out of date. If and when they do decide to replace them, they are going to have to start afresh and make a similar quantum leap like Landrover has done.

As for the Grenadier, for all the hype, it’s no more advanced than a Prado. They’ve designed a new 30 year old vehicle.

Ford do sell the Ranger Raptor in the UK. Same car as we get here; near enough a complete re-engineering of the Ranger. Engine in 2.2l twin scroll turbo diesel in place of the 3.2 V6. Ford Ranger Raptor review | Autocar

Not sure if Ford sell the Everest in the UK; basically an SUV on the Ranger platform. Probably a bit big for the average Tesco car park, but they make a nice camping car if you don’t want to go far off-road. If only they did an Everest Raptor; they would be a special vehicle. You do see a fair few lifted and upgraded Everests around here; people spending $30-40k on work.
I thought the UK spec Raptor was just a badge and lift kit.....but why take out a 3.2 V6 and fit a little diesel ????
1593723182175.png

This is what I think of when people talk about Raptors......

Toyota have done nothing about replacing this vehicle (or any of the other Landcruisers). It’s a generation out of date. If and when they do decide to replace them, they are going to have to start afresh and make a similar quantum leap like Landrover has done.
Not sure they will though ....Landcruiser maybe an old design but for many of it's markets that's a strength ....
Landcruiser and Hilux are understood and fixable by most African bush mechanics as is the INEOS vehicle (engine management aside )
New LR Defender may have loads of whizy tech but when the brain dies the vehicle dies ..... no tow start , no flash many gear auto box , no traction or terrain control ..... none of which is fixable in the bush by a guy with a welder and a selection of bits of metal..... and that would be a worry if the Germans or Japs had engineered it...... sadly Landrovers lack of skill with electrical items lingers ..... don't believe the hype ....I know too many Range Rover owners who suffer continued software and electrical problems in their never used off road... less than 2 years old cars that live in a garage every night.
I've known guy's in Kenya do a clutch in a 4.2 cruiser under a tree with a bit of rope .....and it then drove round Africa and back to the UK with no issues....they can fix big heavy basic 30 year old tech ....they can fix electrical faults in a 30 year old tech vehicle with a few bit's of wire and a light bulb as a circuit tester .....

None of the above applies to your no doubt lovely to drive new Defender .... it WILL go wrong because shit happens , mice eat wiring , looms get caught , branches and rocks get into places that some bloke in the design office never thought possible....

Not sure they will though ....Landcruiser maybe an old design but for many of it's markets that's a strength ....
Landcruiser and Hilux are understood and fixable by most African bush mechanics as is the INEOS vehicle (engine management aside )
New LR Defender may have loads of whizy tech but when the brain dies the vehicle dies ..... no tow start , no flash many gear auto box , no traction or terrain control ..... none of which is fixable in the bush by a guy with a welder and a selection of bits of metal..... and that would be a worry if the Germans or Japs had engineered it...... sadly Landrovers lack of skill with electrical items lingers ..... don't believe the hype ....I know too many Range Rover owners who suffer continued software and electrical problems in their never used off road... less than 2 years old cars that live in a garage every night.
I've known guy's in Kenya do a clutch in a 4.2 cruiser under a tree with a bit of rope .....and it then drove round Africa and back to the UK with no issues....they can fix big heavy basic 30 year old tech ....they can fix electrical faults in a 30 year old tech vehicle with a few bit's of wire and a light bulb as a circuit tester .....

None of the above applies to your no doubt lovely to drive new Defender .... it WILL go wrong because shit happens , mice eat wiring , looms get caught , branches and rocks get into places that some bloke in the design office never thought possible....
New Landcruisers and Hiluxes are packed with the similar tech. I don’t think anyone makes a 4x4 in which the transmission isn’t controlled by electronics. They’ve all got buttons to engage low ratio, diff locks and various modes for different conditions.

Similarly engines are all complex; there’s really no way round it emissions. And even the oldest of body on chassis designs (Landcruiser 70 series) have been reingineered so that the body is effectively a unibody sat on a chassis.

One of the recent interviews with Ineos reckoned that the entire African 4x4 market is about 20000 vehicles a year.