Indoor map and compass ex

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by zippy483, Sep 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Might sound a bit odd but have been tasked with organising an indoor map and compass ex, other than bog standard planning exercises (which I would imagine are a bit dull for the kids) I havn't seen one of these conducted before let alone planned one I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start, anyone any ideas?

Have heard of a game called slugs that involves marching on bearings and pacing with a bivi bag on the head but not sure where this stacks up with JSP535.

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

As long as someone guides them so the don't fall down and you don't suffocate them then no problemo. You would be better off with a blindfold for safety though.
  3. Indoor map and compass ex involving marching on a bearing and pacing ? Good idea for when it's lashing down with rain, same reason I'm trying to get our indoor mortar range finished before the sheisse weather really begins ...
  4. Cheers MiB

Problem with Blind fold is they can't see a compass to march on a bearing "lets think Night ex without Night as it were". I was also thinking something along the lines of scenario whereby the cadets are in a fictocious OP and then have to plan a route to a suitable extraction point and produce a route card but like I say this sounds a little dull.

5. How about a sort of treasure hunt?

Instructions along the lines of

"March X paces on a bearing of Y mils"

"Now march Z paces on a bearing of A mils"

At location you will receive further instructions.

Could have the little darlings wandering around all night :)
  6. Why not indoor march on a bearing and pacing, obviously depends on size of hall but you can march on a bearing over 10 metres as well as you can over a 100, something along the lines of march on 270 for 10 meters then change bearing to march on 030 for 15 meters then change direction to 110 for 12 meters place your marker and the nearest to the pre defined point wins.

Indoor mortar range sounds a fine Idea can we come and use it when it's finished :D

7. How about an OP type ex where a target appears for a set period, during which time the little SpecialOP'ers have to take bearings, communicate with each other and bring in CAS/Fire Mission. Set some form of penalty for not being quick enough or poor comms with the other OPs, have someone collate the info supplied on a white-board/map so they can see what happens to the info they provide, etc, maybe have the white-board in a different room so the person plotting cannot actually see the target.

They'll be walting it down the local youth club in no time at all !
  8. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

A good one for teaching them the reason for accurate measurement is to put half a dozen cadets in a room and get them to each hold on to a piece of string at different points to form a zig zag course.

Get a cadet to pace out the distance along the string from one to another

Get them to estimate the distance based on pace length.

Get the two cadets at either end to pull the string tight to form a straight line then pace out the length again. It shows a vast difference from the from the first measurement and demonstrates that they should walk the course more accurately to estimate distances.
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Get a load of identical OS maps, 1:50,000, and write a course down. Get them to follow a route, based on "radio" instructions such as "turn left at the next crossroads, go N for 800m, take the first junction Left after the Church with Spire" sort of thing.

Believe me, they'll end up all over the map, but will learn a good deal - at least if you prep it properly.
  10. Set up six or seven points - upturned styrofoam cups or cones or whatever. Have two courses written down - 1200 mils, then 4000 mils, then 600 mils etc. As many as you want.

In a different room, have two maps of the course (accurate maps!) and two compasses. Split them into teams, and they have to guide one of them around the course. Different person has to work out each bearing and which point is the next one (might want to number them, thinking about it, saves them saying 'Go to that one there! No, the other one there!')

Race the teams.

Hope that makes sense...

11. My money is on OldSnowy having the DS solution. It's easy to set up and take down and has the ability for the individual cadet's attempts to be marked and critiqued.

If you want to stir up a bit more enthusiasm and go into more advanced training, you could get a big roll of hessian and copy the details from a map onto it, increasing the scale. Choose something sensible like grid lines at 1m apart (1:1000) and paint the rest of the features on. Lay it out on the floor, oriented to grid north, then use a fibre tape measure and a compass to carry out a scaled down exercise.

If you glue a Silva compass to one end of an 8ft length of wood, you can also demonstrate operator error and imprecision of this type of compass.

You can also enhance the hessian map by wiring up discs attached to the underside. The cadets push a probe through the hessian when they think they're in the right place to complete a circuit and sound a buzzer - a bit more interactive than the instructor saying, "That's near enough."

I can't take credit for this concept. It's basically the same as a Puff Range (the indoor mortar range) but laid out in 2D for simplicity.