Indonesian Govt plans to move capital from Jakarta to...?

Malaysia built a compound for politicians and bureaucrats outside KL some years ago, but Indonesia seems to be planning something much larger in scale and distance.
Possibly moving the capital as far as the island of Borneo. Reckon it'll happen?

Indonesia to move capital city

I'd be very surprised if the dominant Javanese (> 40% of population, historical powerhouse of the archipelago) allowed the seat of government to move off the island, particularly to Borneo. I'd also be very surprised if moving to a 'backwater' like Borneo would be popular with either politicians or civil servants who would have to relocate there.

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if the dominant Javanese (> 40% of population, historical powerhouse of the archipelago) allowed the seat of government to move off the island, particularly to Borneo. I'd also be very surprised if moving to a 'backwater' like Borneo would be popular with either politicians or civil servants who would have to relocate there.
Yes, I'm sure a shift to Borneo or elsewhere is too big a step for comfort. Perhaps a more achievable outcome would be to do what Malaysia did, moving the civil service and ministries out of the congested capital somewhere inland.
Putrajaya seems to have worked well for them. Putrajaya - Wikipedia

Yes, I'm sure a shift to Borneo or elsewhere is too big a step for comfort. Perhaps a more achievable outcome would be to do what Malaysia did, moving the civil service and ministries out of the congested capital somewhere inland.
Strikes me as something of a vanity project. Given the overcrowding (and attendant pollution levels) of Djakarta, setting up an enclave at a healthier, reasonably close location does make some sense though.

They been talking about moving for at least 10 years. Talking to locals it'll take a lot to actually get it moved (currently on Bali).

They been talking about moving for at least 10 years. Talking to locals it'll take a lot to actually get it moved (currently on Bali).
Currently on Java.

Currently on Java.
Waves! Only been here (from UK) a week. Jakarta for meetings, Bali, Labuan Bajo yesterday for meetings, back to Bali now for a couple of days before flying back to UK.

Waves! Only been here (from UK) a week. Jakarta for meetings, Bali, Labuan Bajo yesterday for meetings, back to Bali now for a couple of days before flying back to UK.
Ah, see what you mean. Get some beef rendang down you!

Dredd

LE
Strikes me as something of a vanity project. Given the overcrowding (and attendant pollution levels) of Djakarta, setting up an enclave at a healthier, reasonably close location does make some sense though.
You missed the bit about the city sinking then?

You missed the bit about the city sinking then?
No, you missed the fact that the Putrajaya 'vanity project' is in Malaysia, not Indonesia.

According the several articles I’ve read, the new capital will not be on Java.

Will be interesting to see if they go for a green field site and create a purely administrative city like Canberra, Brasília and, on a far smaller scale, Belmopan. Or will they move to an existing city which really means moving to Borneo.

Whatever, they’ve got to start making some serious decisions about Jakarta. Half of the place is below sea level and North Jakarta (mostly slums) sank by 3m over the last 10 years.

Given that half of the current capital is expected to be under the Java Sea by 2050, my bet would be on the Borneo option.

They’ve also got some serious thinking to do about where to house the 5-8M people who’s homes and livelihoods will have gone within a generation. TBH they’ve already left it too late.

Indonesia wants to move the capital from sinking Jakarta

According the several articles I’ve read, the new capital will not be on Java.

Will be interesting to see if they go for a green field site and create a purely administrative city like Canberra, Brasília and, on a far smaller scale, Belmopan. Or will they move to an existing city which really means moving to Borneo.

Whatever, they’ve got to start making some serious decisions about Jakarta. Half of the place is below sea level and North Jakarta (mostly slums) sank by 3m over the last 10 years.

Given that half of the current capital is expected to be under the Java Sea by 2050, my bet would be on the Borneo option.

They’ve also got some serious thinking to do about where to house the 5-8M people who’s homes and livelihoods will have gone within a generation. TBH they’ve already left it too late.

Indonesia wants to move the capital from sinking Jakarta
Just abandoning Jakarta isn't a realistic option because there is too much valuable property there, so they'll still have to do something about the sinking anyway. Dikes and putting a stop to the pumping of aquifers are obvious starters.

I see moving the capital as being a separate issue, with the sinking of Jakarta being used as a reason by some people to try to drive that agenda.

Blogg

LE
Just abandoning Jakarta isn't a realistic option because there is too much valuable property there, so they'll still have to do something about the sinking anyway. Dikes and putting a stop to the pumping of aquifers are obvious starters.

I see moving the capital as being a separate issue, with the sinking of Jakarta being used as a reason by some people to try to drive that agenda.
Within the next decade about 40% of that valuable property will most probably be under water.

Political factors aside, the view of hydrological studies seems to be that vast scale of illegal extraction of water has led to the city is sinking at a rate beyond salvation without a vast (and very possibly ultimately futile) construction binge building not just dykes but stopping bore hole extraction and replacing with a huge and (hugely expensive) new water distribution network.

Alternatively if you are a Government say "Sod that", relocate and carry on.

It's curious to me (as a newcomer to the region) that they've spent a vast sum on the new MRT and are planning another 6 lines, with more huge construction costs, when they must have known the city was sinking.

Kickbacks. It's what drives govt funded development.

Latest Threads