Indonesia has a missing Sub.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Indonesia has a sub?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Indonesia had 5 subs.

The missing one is a German built in 1981, they had 2 of these in service and new 3 indigenous subs [built 2018 on]. All are conventional diesel electric boats.

If it's gone down then it's going to be flat because the water is over 2,000 feet deep in the area, 3x the original test depth for the boats.

This may be premature, but RIP to the crew [IMHO]

BTW Indonesia is one of the most populous nations.

Indonesia had 5 subs.

The missing one is a German built in 1981, they had 2 of these in service and new 3 indigenous subs [built 2018 on]. All are conventional diesel electric boats.

If it's gone down then it's going to be flat because the water is over 2,000 feet deep in the area, 3x the original test depth for the boats.

This may be premature, but RIP to the crew [IMHO]

BTW Indonesia is one of the most populous nations.

I wonder if its the same model as the Argentinian sub that was lost the other year? I believe that one had received a mid life upgrade which may have weakened the hull? - I wonder if there is a SOSUS listening system in that area of the world?

When the ARA San Juan went down, it turned out that the seismologists heard the implosion at the time. I sincerely hope that they look at that data early, and if nothing found, double down on the efforts to find it before It does go down.

I should imagine there’s some urgent bag packing and kit checking in Rosyth, while the crabs generate a C17. Perhaps they could send one of the Poseidons too.

I wonder if its the same model as the Argentinian sub that was lost the other year? I believe that one had received a mid life upgrade which may have weakened the hull? - I wonder if there is a SOSUS listening system in that area of the world?
Indonesia has a network of seismic monitoring stations. If there has been a hull implosion, that would pick it up.

The Indonesians bought up a lot of ex-East German naval equipment post the fall of the Iron Curtain, many of the vessels turned out to be totally unsuitable as they were designed for the Baltic and frequently overheated in Indonesian waters. As I recall a German-built landing craft in the Indonesian service of a similar vintage was lost to fire a year or two back.

Indonesia, for all its image of a looming great military threat, from the days of Suharto and the invasion of East Timor, mostly has clapped out defence equipment that is shockingly badly maintained.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Indonesia, for all its image of a looming great military threat,

I don't think the opinion of 3 Women's institute groups really counts.

May it be a false alarm.
I'd never willingly get on one, kudos to those that do.

Yokel

LE
Lets hope for the best - the crew and their families are human beings after all.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
May it be a false alarm.
I'd never willingly get on one, kudos to those that do.

I do hope it's a false alarm, comms failure and a bit lost at sea somewhere on the surface.

of all the jobs in any of the three services, submariner is the one I would definitely never want to do, not that they'd have an overweight knacker with claustrophobia etc anyway.

I can't even watch operation petticoat ..

I do hope they find the boat and crew intact.

However, it is funny to read your comments about serving in boats! I never gave it a thought! I could say the same about a tank (big, green, tracks and a gun - it's a tank!) - who in their right mind would want to work/fight in one of them? At least we (submariners) got a shedload of extra dosh for the privilege!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I do hope they find the boat and crew intact.

However, it is funny to read your comments about serving in boats! I never gave it a thought! I could say the same about a tank (big, green, tracks and a gun - it's a tank!) - who in their right mind would want to work/fight in one of them? At least we (submariners) got a shedload of extra dosh for the privilege!

if a tank breaks down you usually just open the hatch and walk away, not quite the same for the Nemo types

Wetneck

Old-Salt
Oil found near last reported location of the sub according to a few sources:

philc

LE
It’s gone, 800 Mts deep, that’s a shit way to end.

if a tank breaks down you usually just open the hatch and walk away, not quite the same for the Nemo types
They are saying oil and debris found in the area. Not good.

We too just open a hatch and float out (well, maybe a wee bit more to it than that!). In water free ascents have been made by the RN from 601 feet, which is OK for the Continental Shelf, but not so good for those presently missing in 2000 feet. At depth we would hope to use a submersible to escape, but there are limits....... We tend to not think about it.