Indoctrination of kids - is this vid for real ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cutaway, Jun 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Saw this on another thread and wondered if anyone knew more about it:

[​IMG]

http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=924

http://switch5.castup.net/frames/20041020_MemriTV_Popup/video_480x360.asp?ai=214&ar=924wmv&ak=null

The video has intrigued me, I'm not sure if it's for real or not.
    The synch is out which could indicate it's either a grotty copy or it's been dubbed.

MEMRI give this bumf out about themselves:
    On a loony Septic site I found this about it:

"The reason for Memri's air of secrecy becomes clearer when we look at the people behind it. The co-founder and president of Memri, and the registered owner of its website, is an Israeli called Yigal Carmon.

Mr - or rather, Colonel - Carmon spent 22 years in Israeli military intelligence and later served as counter-terrorism adviser to two Israeli prime ministers, Yitzhak Shamir and Yitzhak Rabin.

Retrieving another now-deleted page from the archives of Memri's website also throws up a list of its staff. Of the six people named, three - including Col Carmon - are described as having worked for Israeli intelligence.

Among the other three, one served in the Israeli army's Northern Command Ordnance Corps"

The Grauniad has an article about "Selective MEMRI" here,and another albeit from an anti war site here.

The Wiki - for what that is worth - has this to say about MEMRI.

Think it needs some further research.

2. I doubt that it's been dubbed. The TV station in question, however, goes out of its way to encourage Islamic fundamentalism. I think it's been established for this sole purpose! This is a three year old girl, her cnuts of parents or whoever fed her that is to be blamed.

On a side note, I'm not too familiar with the Koran but I don't remember Jews being called pigs and apes in it but I might be wrong.

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It's difficult to find any gen on Iqra TV that hasn't already been through either side's extremist mill.

Do you have any links to it that aren't beating a drum ?

4. Cutaway: All I've been able to find is on their official site and in Arabic.

http://www.iqraa-tv.net/arabic/CompanyProfile/Channel.asp

You might want to run it through

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

to get the translation. Look through their programme list to get an idea of the 'normal' stuff they broadcast. Of course the google translation is by no means 100% accurate so I would be more than happy to help confirm/translate anything should you have any questions.

Cheers
    Rad

Edited to add: Okay, google translation is awful, but it can give you a general idea.

5. 'Cuts', I think you, like me, are starting to have the same suspicions about the Israeli propaganda blitz ARRSE is suffering at the moment.
    Possibly, it's time the Mods did something about it......

6. Iqra Tv is a Saudi channel - so naturally is going to follow en extremist wahhabi interpretation of Islam.
    The interview is from 2004, the Memri extract is a part of a longer report about kids and Islam - but of course Memri being the anti-Arab polemics that they are are going to naturally focus on any anti-jewish things that can find and given the sorry state of Saudi TV, it isn't that hard. Anyway being the ignorant Saudi that the inteviewer is, what he should have said is, 'Well, Bismillah (who was only 3), your Abu or Um has got it wrong because the prophet only referred to those Jews and others who subverted the revelation of God for their own personal gain as pigs and WTF are you doing wearing headscarf at the age of 3?'

Personal hatred of Saudis aside, critics imo do have a point of the misleading translations and selective use of TV that Memri engages in.

7. Might I add the Iqraa TV is only one of many Saudi channels with the same message

The interviewer and the kid, however, are both Egyptian so this interpretation of Islam, if you will, is not limited to Saudi.

8. It must be me but I thought the interview spoke with an Khaliji accent, secondly my comments about the wahabbi interpetation of Islam were just about the TV channel. Like all of Saudi TV, its rubbish and an open invitation for Islamophobes to have a go.
    However the message spouted by Bismillah is unfortunately not limited to Wahabbi idiots but is unfortunately ingrained in much of popular Islamic cultures, its a case of bad religious teaching and history in my point of view. But I am sorry to say that nothing will ever persuade me off the fact that the only good thing that could happen to the Kingdom of Saud is for the whole royal family and their wahabbi clerics to drop dead. They have never done anything good for the Arab or the Islamic worlds but seem rather good at using the misery of others to further their own causes.

9. No, it's definitely an Egyptian accent. A lot of Iqraa's programmes are broadcast from Egypt. There are many similar tv channels, some much worse, spread throughout the Arab world but in particular in the Gulf region.

Agree with the last bit about the royal family and wahabbi clerics all through the region, really. I live in a city next to Dubai and used to share a villa with a mate. We lived right opposite to a mosque which didn't bother me at first (heavy sleeper ;)) but started bothering me the more Arabic I learned. Finally, they changed the imam and I've recently had to move because he really grips my sh!te, especially on Fridays. It's a shame.