Individual Liberty - Finally some sense....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tattybadger, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Finally, some traditional Conservative value coming back into politics:

As David Cameron has said, there is now a clear dividing line between Labour’s creeping authoritarianism and the Conservatives’ “instinctive desire to give people more power and control over their lives”, “our intention to change fundamentally the balance of power between the citizen and the state” and a deep commitment to “enhancing personal freedom and limiting the State’s power

Individual Liberty - sense at last
  2. No politician of any persuasion has any intention of giving anyone any power or "control over their lives". The Conservatives may believe in the State doing less but they certainly don't believe in allowing anyone more personal freedom. They will cut back Govt spending and reduce taxs a percentage point or so - but what pieces of intrusive legislation will they repeal ?

Test case - Will I have the power to run a new piece of electrical cable in my own house without a "qualified" electrician "certifying" the work ?

3. That pretty much sums up where we are, thanks to Blair, Gordo and "The Project"...
  4. If Cameron is serious about this the first two things he will do is impliment a proper Bill of Rights (We already have a rather good one, it was never passed into law alas, the US Consitution is based on it), and a Supreme Court with the power and obligation to uphold it and strike down any legislation that is contrary to it.
  5. Let's give it a go though!
  6. No, we simply need to return to running this country along the lines given in the Bill of Rights and Magna Carta.
    Ditch everything created in the last 25 years and start again.

As for Cameron giving us our rights and freedoms back, he'll have to work hard to prove that to me.
    First and foremost I want one law for this country, no Sharia Courts, no different laws for MP's. Will he give me that?
    Will he return law making to the UK or allow the fukking French and Germans to make our laws in the EU?
  7. What a crock of sh*t. How much hardline Conservative opposition to the creeping erosion of rights has there been?

He has had ample opportunity and been found lacking. MP's expenses? Oh he was quite forthright over erosion of rights on that issue, in favour of his trough-guzzling mates.

He is the worst kind of lickspittle there is.

Year Zero the bloody place, then nail the Magna Carta to the front door and start again.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

eh? WTF?!?!?? Sod that!
  9. Off the top of my head - ID cards for one....
  10. Why?
  11. The Tories opposed ID cards? Really? Or just felt the public mood on them?

Sorry Tatty , but this clownshoes is all image and no substance.

Why don't I hear anything about a Tory "10 point plan to restore the fortunes of GB"

All I hear is "Oh if we say anything, Labour will nick it" . Really? GOOD! It means if it's worthwhile, we can start to reverse the fortunes of UK PLC sooner rather than later.

I don't remember Dr. Cable saying anything about "They will nick my ideas" . Which they did, and far too late.

All this shower of mendacious b*stards are interested in , is riding the gravy train on a circle line, dispensing bon mots along the way.

Why is there no action? Have you asked yourself that?
  12. What the fcuk else do you suggest?

We have a clear choice - Labour or the Conservatives. At this point in time, the only thing talk like this will achieve is the re-election of Labour.

The Convervatives are far from brilliant, but the current bunch of ex-communist sociopaths scare the fcuk out of me. Unless you want to live in a police state, I suggest you give it a rest until after the election.
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

why? and how?
  14. I suggest they start remembering whose common good they are supposed to be acting in, not indulging in playground antics whilst lining their own deep pockets.
  15. It's that kind of myopic and blinkered thinking that has brought us to where we are. The sooner people realise there are more than two parties the sooner we stop the Labour/Tory merry-go-round of 'get elected with a fanfare and fireworks, stay in power for too long, seriously fcuk things up, change parties, repeat.'

So are you suggesting the Conservatives should stay in power in perpetuity or that we have a few terms of Tory until they make a monumental balls of things and we go back to Labour?