• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

India's Shit and Indias' Shit Thread.

Dear Earth,

Please start a thread in the NAAFI Bar as there are far more intellectuals who are dedicated to the discusion on post Empire issues than on this thread.

And you won't get any where near the level of abuse that you might if you carry on here.

good luck!
Carry on...

{damn, put the second apostrophe in the wrong place!}

From our new friend "Earth"

"Whatever India is today is not because of UK.The empire left India in complete ruins and India had to rebuild everything from scratch.

And don't start with railways,telegram and rule of law jibe..All the investments done by the British empire during the colonial times were for plundering and not helping the locals.

The railways were for quick transportation of indian raw materials to the nearest seaport.The Police was for oppressing the people.The english language was for training Indians who would replace British at clerical level which helped in reducing cost of operation.

The bottomline is that India never asked for the aid.We were being forced to take it against our wishes.

We don't want that aid from UK.UK is not important for india".

The British! what did they do for us ?

Although their Army Air Corp still hasn't quite got the hang of things…
Way more interesting than the shite way this thread started. India's Yellow Helmets vs R Signals White Helmets: discuss.

Any way, it was the cowboys and the US Cavalry what done for the Injuns. Every one knows that.

Someone on this site - apologies for not remembering who - has the following words of wisdom at the end of each post.
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.
That's India today.

This was why young bloods joined the East India Company two hundred years ago. Go to India, do some business, sample the good life, and you could have a Freida Pinto-lookalike as your bibi.

Just before the missionaries and the memsahibs turned up in the Victorian era, and life became all work and no play.

The Indian sub continent was always going to be colonised by one major foriegn power or another and for all the moaning they can count themselves fucking luky it was us instead of the Russians or the French.

Ask the Chechens or the Algerians how it went for them.

Now I've never been to India myself, nor have any desire to really, but I know several people who have through work and globetrotting friends, and each one of them has come back with a story that goes something like this...

diarrhea.jpg

The Indian sub continent was always going to be colonised by one major foriegn power or another and for all the moaning they can count themselves fucking luky it was us instead of the Russians or the French.

Or it could have been the Portuguese.

IIRC there's a story about Samora Machel, the FRELIMO leader who was later President of Mozambique. During the 1960s, he went to Tanzania to get guerrilla training. He stunned his hosts by saying something along the lines of 'I wish the whites had never come to Africa, but if we'd had to be colonised I'd have prefered it to be the British'.

The Indians also seem to forget the fact that they'd been on the receiving end of imperialist aggression from their neighbours. When the Persians took Delhi in 1739 they pillaged the place and slaughtered thousands.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer

When the first English traders arrive had the sub-continent not already been colonized/conquered by descendants of Genghis Khan i.e. Mughals, and were they not the last in a long line of conquerers including Arabs, Persians etc who had taken various parts of India for themselves. And in the end we were the only people to carry it through to the logical conclusion and take it all?

Latest Threads