Indian widow of George Cross hero told to pay £12,000 to get medal back

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Jun 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought the 'bought in good faith' thing only did away with you being done for handling stolen goods (s22 Theft Act)? I didn't think it allowed title to pass?

2. surely the bottom line is that the medal is stolen property? I find the court's decision surprising.

3. Not stolen.

4. Must be different in India, in the UK it would be returned to her no charge and the buyer would be out of pocket or looking from redress off the shop where he bought it. I don't understand why she needs to raise £12k when the bloke only spent £4k on it?

5. Because it wasn't stolen, she sold it.

6. Court costs?

7. OK, not well worded on my behalf but if the 'buyer' used deception to obtain the medal from her surely the situation would be similar to 'theft'?

8. Her hubby was a good bloke it seems, yet I can't seem to care either way......I don't trust any of them and an Indian army officer who shells out £4000 in an indian antique shop.....mmmhhhh..I'll bet he did! If that makes me a racist then so be it!

£4000 is more than four months pay and allowances for the average Indian Officer!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Obtained under false pretenses if she was told and believed she was merely signing for accepting the obviously fake award of 250 quid which was supposedly by way of thanks for the service performed by her husband. Why the medal was even involved in that transaction is beyond me. Obtained under false pretenses is surely equivalent to theft.

10. Is it?

11. Could it be a case of the money was good at the time and now she, or her children realise its worth a lot more, and they want it back again?

• Like Like x 1
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps David Cameron will apologise and give her the money.

13. Many a true word.......