Indian Navy in better shape than the Indian Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. It doesn't surprise me. They've made no secret of their intent to be the dominant naval power in the Indian Ocean.

It does tend to argue that their strategic intent is domination of trade routes twixt east and west, rather than potential land wars. I dare say that if it came to the crunch, their smaller neighbours could be choked into submission without needing to be defeated on the battlefield. A good, comparatively cost-effective solution, IMO.

3. Rayc

Rayc RIP

4. Rayc

Rayc RIP

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've worked with the Indian Navy on various ocasions and to be honest, I wouldn't worry too much.

While they are very well equipped with a nice combination of the best Russian and best British kit from circa 30 years ago, pretty much every evolution we did with them, from RASing to operating their old school pointy nose Harriers from Illustrious, nearly involved a fatality due to their gash drills and general haphazardness.

I spent a day onboard INS Rajput and the thing reeked of curry and BO and was in gash order, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the weapons fit worked.

Having said that though, I like them, they operate a very strict caste system onboard and I frequently witnessed stewards and JRs being slapped about by their superiors. Likewise they have adopted many RN traditions and even the uniform and badges are pretty much the same as our's from the 80s.

6. Well having had a few looks at the Indian Army I can confirm that they have a 3 tier system. Their special forces are good, well trained and well equipped. Their main army is split into two halves. Tier 1 are a bit gash and armed and equipped with 70s/80s standard kit such as the 7.62 FN FAl. Tier 2 is thousands of uneducated, ill disciplined chods armed with Soviet kit.

7. The Indians are getting hemmed in to the west you have Pakistan and to the North the Chinese, plus the Chinese are building harbours all over the Indian Ocean to protect their much needed shipping lanes. The Chinese are operating piracy patrols off west Africa and are looking at a refuelling base on the Seychelles. This is making the Indians a tad jumpy.

Oh and I can confirm their ships stink of BO and Curry.

8. I spent a couple of months with the Indian Army, and everyone I spoke to vehemently denied the cast system was in effect in the Army. If memory serves me correctly, I think they said that it was against regulations (I realise they may have been giving me the party line, but their arguments seemed pretty heartfelt).

Never saw junior ranks being slapped, but the closet bully in me approves - shades of Flashman

9. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Rather amusing stories.

Nice to learn about Indian Army and Navy out here.

Missed all the fun stated out here!

However, this would be interesting to read:

The Indian Navy at War: 1971

One could of course read Philip Mason's 'A matter of Honour' to have a realistic view of the Indian Army.

10. More of a perspective on the Indian Armed Forces than a judgement. I did a little time with them and formed an opinion (albeit one which does not have much basis in circumspection).

I am interested in ex colonial countries because of the British connection (especially in military matters), but I don't claim to be an expert on those countries.

11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

My only experience with the Indian Navy has been at cocktail parties. I was advised years ago to cosy up to any Sikh officer, if there is one. Apparently they see it as a point of honour to be able to outdrink the rest of the wardroom, so sticking with them guarantees a good drink supply. Only been twice but both occasions this seemed to be true!

12. Rayc

Rayc RIP

You are right.

It is not only against the Regulation but there is a Special Law passed in the Parliament against bad treatment to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.

If there was caste system in the Armed Forces, then the upper caste would not command lower caste units. For instance, the next Chief is from the Sikh Light Infantry, which is composed of Mazbis. He is a Khatri Sikh.

It would also interest those who wish to know that in the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry, which has only Muslim troops, it is mandatory for officers to observe Ramzan as would the troops!

You are right.

The Army Act is clear about 'Ill treating a Subordinate'.

The Act is applied in all seriousness.

13. Rayc

Rayc RIP

I was not meaning you.

You appear to have had some connection with the Indian Armed Forces since you were not fantasising.

14. Rayc

Rayc RIP

I am aware of the following, but that in no way indicates that I know anything of the British Army.

Though, I too have experience with the British Army.

The Blues and Royals - Soldiers may salute even when bare-headed. This tradition is said to have originated with the Marquis of Granby's cavalry charge at Warburg in 1760. His wig blew off in the charge, originating the saying 'going at it bald-headed'.

The 14th/20th Kings Hussars, 'The Emperors Chambermaids' - A silver chamber-pot (called The Emperor) taken from King Joseph's (Napoleon's brother) carriage at the Battle of Vittoria, 1813, is used in mess rituals.

The Queens Regiment, 'The Buffs'- When an Officer first dines with the Regiment, the Salt Ceremony is carried out. Salt is taken from a special cellar which contains a fragment of the 31st' buff regimental Colour inside its cover. The buff cloth is revealed when salt is taken and the Officer is reminded of his responsibilities to the regiment.

The Royal Anglian Regiment, 'The Tigers' - Once a year on a special Guest Night in the Lincolnshire Regiment, a special toast was made to Charles Austin, Citizen of the U.S.A. Austin regularly dined with the Officers during the Regiment's stay in Yokohama between 1868 and 1871. When he died he left the balance of his property to the Regiment in memory of 'fifty years of glorious friendship'.

The Light Infantry, - Officers of the DLI and KSLI were absolved of the need to drink the Loyal Toast. A privilege maintained by the Light Infantry today. This privilege was bestowed upon the 85th in 1821, after members of the Regiment had saved the King from a mob at the Theatre Royal in Brighton.

The Royal Hampshire Regiment, 'The Stonewallers' - A ceremony called 'Trooping the Swede' was started by the 4th Battalion in 1920 to commemorate the 'Swedebashers' who volunteered in 1914 and died in the First World War. The swedes are tied with ribbons of yellow and black and carried round the dining table to the strains of 'The Farmers Boy'.

I am not too sure about these mentioned below, but I have heard of these rituals.

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards:
    13th April – Nunshigum Day. This commemorates the struggle for Nunshigum Ridge in Burma in 1944. On this day, B Squadron is led on parade by it’s Sergeant Major and without any officers (who had all become casualties in the battle) in remembrance of Sgt Maj Craddock who rallied the squadron which was in chaos at the time.

The Royal Dragoon Guards:
    22nd July – Salamanca Day. A French Drum Major’s mace captured at the battle by the 5th Dragoon Guards is paraded around the regiment.

The Scots Guards:
    30th November – St Andrew’s Day. Celebrated by the piping in of the haggis.

The Irish Guards:
    17th March – St Patrick’s Day. All members of the regiment wear a shamrock.

The Welsh Guards:
    1st March – St David’s Day. Leeks are presented by a member of the Royal family.

The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment:
    16th May – Albuhera Day. Commemorates the bravery of the 3rd, 31st and 57th regiments in the Peninsular battle of 1811. The Die Hard ceremony is performed in remembrance of the mortally wounded Col. Inglis of the 57th Foot who shouted to his men, “Die hard, 57th, die hard!”

The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment:
    27th February – Ladysmith Day. Celebrating the relief of Ladysmith in 1900. Celebrated with a re-enactment of the bayonet charge by the South Lancashire Regiment to clear Boer trenches.

The Royal Anglian Regiment:
    22nd July – Salamanca Day. Celebrating the capture of a French eagle by the 44th (East Essex) Regiment.

25th April – Almanza Day. In memory of the 324 men of all ranks killed out of a field strength of 467 at the Battle of Almanza in Spain in 1707.

The Royal Welsh Regiment:
    1st March – St David’s Day. Newcomers to the regiment are required to eat a raw leek.