"Indian" food...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Negligent-Discharge, May 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Continuing this Indian tomfoolery....

What is your favourite Indian meal? (No ponies please)

Real Indian scoff is superb and nothing like the tosh we're served in "Indian" curry houses. These are mainly Pakistani/Bangladeshi meals and made to suit British palates. All invented(ish). It's the same with the majority of Chinkies (can I say that?). They're mainly South Cantonese and no way reflect Sichuan etc. style.

It's like saying American food is turkey, sweet potatoes and cranberry jelly when we know it's lard burgers, mega fries and a gallon of ice-cream on the sold and "Go Big on that buddy"...
  2. Chicken Chow Mein.
  3. Chicken Jalfrezi. But only the one I makes meself, the ones from restaurants are utter crap, they should be "done" under the trades description act.
  4. I go to a very good indian just about 100 metres away .everything is authentic (no rubbish).my personal favorite is Kashmeri (spelling),But there is nothing they cant do its a cut above the rest as for chinky the run o the mill chinky i would not touch with the prevebial barge pole
  5. Weeeeeell, yeah. But I had dinner as the honoured guest of the base commander at the Indian Air Force base near Delhi (not that near it was over an hours drive). Whilst the company was superb and the booze excellent, I found the food a bit disappointing.

Funny ending though. As I was leaving in a staff car for the airport at about 3 in the morning, there was a sudden hammering on the side of the car and shouts of estop, estop,

I wound the window down and there was a mess waiter. He triumphantly handed me a piece of paper and said: "Sir, your mess bill".

It was about a quid or less so I paid it (in Rupees) and gave him a small tip.

Bloody good night that. It was a little bit like I imagine a battle of Britain RAF Officers Mess to have been like - and there were a couple of splendid moustaches on show.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Negligent-Discharge

You know the rules Brummie! Pictures please and a description in the smallest detail.
  7. My favourite Indian meal? Garnished with massive bribes and eaten in full view of starving multitudes.

You have to have an authentic ambience, I've always felt.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not necessarily a bad thing of course. The one I go to now and again does a marvellous haggis pakora.
  9. Quite partial to lamb kashmiri at the moment.
  10. Having done the authentic curry thing in both Cochin and Mumbai, the best curry I have ever had came from Acocks Green.

Lamb Madras with added garlic, mushroom bhaji and Peshwari naan.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I can't show a pic as I've eaten it, I could show you a pic of the plate it was on though.

The Gee for cooking the chicken and spices in, comes from a Hindu bloke not far from me, who was kicked out of Uganda by Idi Amin. This bloke who goes by the name of Jeff (true that) gets a tin of Gee from a wholesaler, and shares it out amongst people he knows, he also supplies me with Basmati Rice, my prefered rice for curries.
  12. Negligent-Discharge

I shall be up in Scotland with the Memsahb later this year and when I've entertained the Auld_Yin at the club I'd love to see where one can get Haggis Pakora. If this establishment is anywhere near Glasgow we won't be going - if it's Borders, Edinburgh, Teuchterland then, yes. Or it's Achiltibuie then even better.
  13. It is true that it is hard to find a Ruby in this country that corresponds to what you may find on the sub-continent, but as ND states, that's because it is "anglo-Indian cooking" and not really Indian at all. I don't think that theres anything wrong with that as long as everyone knows it. Apparently you can now get a proper Brummie Balti in Mumbai.

The holy grail for me is to find Samosas like the ones I had in Mysore when I was little.
  14. That is quite funny. Since I am from the U.S., not used to eating as much Indian food as you guys do, but my favs are:
    - Tandoori Chicken (love this, especially with the minty sauce they serve it with)
    - Paneer something or other (Indian style cottage cheese with some curry type stuff)
    - Chicken butter masala?

There are a few others, but I forget their exact names.

You guys here in the U.K. have Indian restaurants in the same qty as we have Mexican/ Chinese. Also, the Chinese food here is a lot different to what we get in the U.S. I still remember the first time I went into a Chinese here and ordered the usual stuff (General Tso's chicken or Kung Pao I think) I get back in the U.S., without looking at the menu. Blank stares all around. Apparently the food here is more of the HK Chinese style, while in the states it's Mainland style - Americanized version, of course.
  15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not being a soap-dodger, I rarely visit Glasgow (I'd never fit in given that I've seen horseless carriages and everything) so if it's Embra, this is the place for all of your haggis pakora needs:

Kama Sutra Edinburgh - Book a Table - Kama Sutra Restaurant Group