Indian Army Ops Carry On Up the Khyber

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by seaweed, Aug 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Gentlemen, may I draw your attention to Frontier and Overseas Expeditions from India, Indian Army Intelligence Branch, 7 vols, 1983 Indian reprint, which piece of staff work gives very detailed accounts of all sorts of ops in and around India. An excellent source for researching your forebears' service either in the Indian Army or in attached British Army units. I used this to try and make sense of the Jowaki expedition of the late 1870s and found it enormously helpful, particularly in illuminating which units were in which column at which time, and what they were doing. In that particular case we were duffing the Jowaki Afridis at a cost far exceeding the savings to be made from cutting their leader's baksheesh, which had annoyed him to the point of cutting the Government's telephone and closing the Kohat Pass. Nowadays it takes some imagination to visualise a Victorian column on the march at 2 mph (max for camels), stretching for miles and miles with its menagerie of elephants, bullocks, mules, horses, camels and camp followers. Vols available in UK via inter-library lending.

2. But does it mention Sir Sydney Ruff-Diamond, the Khasi of Kalabar, Private Widdle and not forgetting Bungdit Din and the Burpas?

3. Don't forget Widdles mate Pte "Ginger" Hale.

4. Thank you Seaweed. While we are on the subject, would you happen to know of a source for British Indian Army officers circa 1905 - 1920 by any chance?

5. Oh, but it's strawberry mouse!

6. I though that this was a review thread of a Pinewood Studios film.

Never mind....erm...Carry On!

Nurse, could you get me some more medicine.

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

How do they produce that? Is it like veal - kept in tiny, tiny cages and force fed fruit?:wink:

or this?

2394859534_e976ab7fa3.jpg

8. Entirely similar to Rat'o'van!

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Bullet-catcher, it's a while since I was there, but I seem to remember the British Library Oriental and Indian Studies section has runs of Lists. Take id and turn right out of St Pancras station. The site is decorated with a huge bronze of a man straining on the lavatory.

Ah well, at least one serious response.