Indian Army emergency commission

There's an old (92) boy that I know in Berkshire who received an emergency commission (EC54) in the Indian Army. Does anyone know where I could go to locate his war records?

If I remember correctly, and depending on the date, Indian Army records are held within the old India Office papers at the British Library, rather than at the National Archives (Kew) for pre-1922 or at APC for post 1922 British Army Offrs.
Bit of a pain, as BL is harder to get into than PRO which anyone can turn up at, but if you can't get a reader's ticket, I belive they'll do searches for you, for a small-ish fee.
Might be worth speaking to historical disclosure as Glasgow first, just in case.
Good starting points/research guides on t'internet, which you may already have looked at, are:
National Army Museum, particularly
National Archives (formerly PRO), particularly
Ogilby Army Museums Trust, particularly and

Hope this is of some help.
Thank you for that. I will give them a call in the new year.

The BL is OK., Its not difficult to obtain a readers ticket. All you need is a sensible reason. Its conveniently located next to St Panceras station and once you havfe a ticket you can do online searches. My experienceof information retreival is that its efficient and fast (within a couple of hours) - if the information is held nearby.

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads