India Test Fires New Long Range Missile

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bokkatankie, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Because they're on "our" side.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Are they?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rayc

Rayc RIP

It is to ensure that China does not blackmail India, always and every time.

Could I know as to why it was not provocative of China to have her Long Dong ICBM and it is provocative if India does something to protect itself?
  4. Rayc

Rayc RIP

The manner in which they are siding with the US on various issues, it appears they are with the US even if not with others of the 'our side'.
  5. So an arms race is the only answer? Do not mind too much just wish we were not paying for it!
  6. They need foreign aid because like a majority of African countries, they are corrupt and prefer to spend their monies on arms rather then its people.

As for no one getting upset over this and everyone getting upset over N. Koreas so called space question exactly. India is not the most stable of countries and is constantly warring with Pakistan. I detect a hint of hypocrisy.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. This was done to death on another thread. The Indian government DO NOT WANT AID they have said so publicly on several occasions - the Brits insisted, rather stupidly, on giving it to them!
    Comparing India to North Korea is absurd. I regard India (a reasonably transparent democracy) as a friendly country - though not North Korea, or China come to that - and certainly not duplicitous, crazy Pakistan to whom the West gives more financial aid than you can shake a stick at! If I had neighbours like India's I'd be building missiles as fast as I could too.

The Indian economy is picking up the pace her middle class is expanding rapidly, health services are improving, literacy rate is rapidly overtaking the UK, the population is optimistic and informed - no restrictions on internet, the media have absolute freedom - and they're trying to improve the Brit automobile industry! Sounds like the UK in the late Victorian era (well..... less the automobile industry - which has always sucked).

Here we go again with the usual anti-Indians and wind up merchants lining up, angst of the former, I suspect, attributable to the large Sikh who bummed them in Amritsar in their gap year giving them a fake telephone number.
    • Like Like x 14
  8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Would you prefer that the Indians generate a welfare state that supports their people if they can't find work and eventually ends up 50 years later with 3-5% of their population of working age sponging off the rest whilst watching Sky and going down the pub? Personally I think one of the primary purposes of government is defence of the nation. If we in Britain are so stupid that we take our treasure that we should spend on us and give it to Indians then that's our decision. That should not prevent the Indian government doing its job.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Which is interesting.

Pakistan has just slapped a huge filter system on their internet. DPRK has a site worth $15 according to wired. One thing we seem to export now is internet censoring kit (didn't we flog some to Syria too?)

CMD is trying to ban anything on-line that's doesn't say he is the dogs'. Then realising he can't control twitter after threatening to ban it. Bet that'll come back to bite him at election time. I can't wait for Anonymous to DDOS him into oblivion.

Actually, looks like it is time to dust off my "Teach Yourself Hindi" and relocate.

PS-And they've got the IPL too! :woot:
  10. I'll bet they didn't fuel it with the stuff they used in the 9mm rounds back in the 70's and 80's...

• Like Like x 4
  11. No I would just prefer it if they looked after their own people and stopped worrying about China nuking them (why would they do that?).
  12. Ah the World is one big hyporcracy! It's ok for India to develop instant sunshine missles but not NK or Iran? All this will do is antagonise the Pakistani Military and they will want to develop their own missiles. if not improve what they have creating another mini arms race. Not ideal when you have Islamic extremists in part of Pakistan.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. India's the world's largest democracy. India has some corruption and inefficiency, sure, but compared to, say, Russia or China, it's miniscule. india is in a very tough neighbourhood with at least two close neighbours with whom she has fallen out in the past. Both are nuclear armed. If the Indians see a strategic need for an IRBM in order to deter attack, go for it, say I. We should be bezzers with the Indians, they're our obvious strategic partners in the region.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

We spent quite a lot of money over the years building nukes to stop the USSR nuking us and you could ask the same question.

The answer is, they probably wouldn't. But if China has nukes and India doesn't then China could potentially use those nukes to extract territorial and economic concessions from India. It s a Deterrent.

If you look at the geography you can see that an expansionist China has nicked or reclaimed (depending on your view) a massive territory to the northeast of India called Tibet. So we have 2 emerging superpowers with a common border competing for economic resources and trying to develop international influence in order to create and safeguard that economy. Now where have I heard that before?

On the other border India faces an openly hostile nuclear-equiped Pakistan, and there's a lot of talk about the potential for Pakistan to slide into fundamentalism or into that odd construct the "failed state." Either way India faces a potential enemy with a religious ideology that is openly hostile to Hindu India, access to weapons of mass destruction and a philosophy that discounts war casualties.

On the basis of "the nemey of my enemy is my friend" Pakistan and China cooperate. If you look around the region for friends of India, they are few and weak. To the west is Africa, to the north enemies and to the east smaller states who are equally concerned by China's policies but lacking in resources to provide significant help.

So India walks a narrow path of being friends with Russia and the USA, but cannot commit to a military alliance with one without alienating the other. And they ask, would Russia or America risk war with China to protect India?

Given that India is isolated from potential allies, has an incredibly long border with potential enemies and some real threats it would seem to me that the Indian government don't just have a desire for nuclear capability but are duty bound to their people to provide it.
    • Like Like x 9