India needs to prepare for war with China and Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevertheless, it's a feature of the Islamic world that they spend most of the time bickering and squabbling between each other if left alone by outsiders.
But... I have been reliably assured by various posters that Islam is a monolithic death cult poised to swamp the Western world with waves of suicide bombing paedophiles, spilling out of their fleets of little rubber boats at Dover.
Have I been misled?

But... I have been reliably assured by various posters that Islam is a monolithic death cult poised to swamp the Western world with waves of suicide bombing paedophiles, spilling out of their fleets of little rubber boats at Dover.
Have I been misled?
Some islamists may think that, most sensible people are more likely to query why, if islam is so wonderful, so many of its adherents are running away from its centre?

Some islamists may think that, most sensible people are more likely to query why, if islam is so wonderful, so many of its adherents are running away from its centre?

But the follow up question is, if they are fleeing Islam why are they so keen on establishing Islam in their new homes?

The answer is because they still believe that Islam is perfect, it was simply done wrong in that particular location and they’ll do better.

Ah, just like communism?

Interestingly not, people fleeing Communist countries rarely want to experience it again, a good example being the Miami Cubans. A few people in the former USSR have some nostalgia for the old days but the vast majority would never willingly go back to Communism, not even in Russia itself. The people saying "that wasn't real Communism" are typically people who have never experienced anything but capitalist democracy. But I see what you mean.

Loads of Christians left Europe to seek a better life elsewhere with no intention of changing their language, culture, dietary habits, or general way of life.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Loads of Christians left Europe to seek a better life elsewhere with no intention of changing their language, culture, dietary habits, or general way of life.
Tell that to the North American Indians, Tasmanians, Australian aborigines...

like when animals migrate, human migration never leaves anything untouched. Be it cultural, ecological, religious or socio-economic.

But they arent fleeing something (except shite weather* for those hailing from the british isles) -

*Which is the basis of my theory why the UK succedded in forming colonies wheras France had nowhere near this level of sucseess.

Oh lala the country she is a beautiful place to visit - but its not Paris
versus -
Fook me it doesnt piss it down everyday - theres no fog and whats that big yellow thing in the Sky

But they arent fleeing something
The Pilgrim Fathers certainly were.

Admittedly, they were fleeing not being allowed to be nutjob religious extremists back home, but they were fleeing.

But they arent fleeing something (except shite weather* for those hailing from the british isles) -

*Which is the basis of my theory why the UK succedded in forming colonies wheras France had nowhere near this level of sucseess.

Oh lala the country she is a beautiful place to visit - but its not Paris
versus -
Fook me it doesnt piss it down everyday - theres no fog and whats that big yellow thing in the Sky
I think the biggest incentive for many empire builders back in the day was the simple one of getting one's leg over with a tasty bit of exotic crumpet. It's not written in many history books but one has only to look at the ladies of India or Sri Lanka or Java or Bali to get an idea why so many pasty-faced blokes from Dunstable or Eindhoven left their fair shores and headed out east.

Dwarf

LE
I think the biggest incentive for many empire builders back in the day was the simple one of getting one's leg over with a tasty bit of exotic crumpet. It's not written in many history books but one has only to look at the ladies of India or Sri Lanka or Java or Bali to get an idea why so many pasty-faced blokes from Dunstable or Eindhoven left their fair shores and headed out east.
So in a nutshell, provided you don't succumb to foreign diseases, native rebellions or shipwreck you can work your way through the Karma Sutra with someone who doesn't look like an Aldershot bulldog. Plus you get to have servants and build up a nice little nest-egg for retirement.

If we ever decide to rebuild the Empire I'll sign up for it.

The Pilgrim Fathers certainly were.

Admittedly, they were fleeing not being allowed to be nutjob religious extremists back home, but they were fleeing.
Fleeing to rather than from persecution is an odd one

That said im unaware they were fleeing from something hostile to them in the UK, my perception is that they left because they didnt like the way the country was being run

So in a nutshell, provided you don't succumb to foreign diseases, native rebellions or shipwreck you can work your way through the Karma Sutra with someone who doesn't look like an Aldershot bulldog. Plus you get to have servants and build up a nice little nest-egg for retirement.

Same with the missionaries too.

"So tell me Rev McDourface, what made you give up your position teaching Calvinist doctrine to Presbyterian theology students in Arbroath and travel half way around the world to try to convert the bare-breasted heathen maidens of Polynesia?"

Fleeing to rather than from persecution is an odd one

That said im unaware they were fleeing from something hostile to them in the UK, my perception is that they left because they didnt like the way the country was being run
Well, they were fleeing away to somewhere they could happily persecute the stone age heathen natives, who weren't likely to be like the Roman Catholics at the height of the Wars of Religion, and fight back like psychotic honey badgers.

john_singh

Old-Salt
One of our family friends was married to this bloke who was straight out of the film caste of Zulu, you could just imagine him with a pith helmet on, charging about on a horse. Anyway many years ago he was engaged and about to marry some woman from the home counties, as English as English could be. As the wedding day drew closer he started having second thoughts. He cancelled the wedding and married the bird he was having an affair with, a Chinese Malay.
He had to explain it to his former in-laws to be and he said words to the effect
"truth is I prefer Chinese cooking to English!!!!!

Many years later after producing two kids, who both went to Oxford, he dumped the Chinese wife and traded her for a much younger South American one.

Winnet

War Hero
One of our family friends was married to this bloke who was straight out of the film caste of Zulu, you could just imagine him with a pith helmet on, charging about on a horse. Anyway many years ago he was engaged and about to marry some woman from the home counties, as English as English could be. As the wedding day drew closer he started having second thoughts. He cancelled the wedding and married the bird he was having an affair with, a Chinese Malay.
He had to explain it to his former in-laws to be and he said words to the effect
"truth is I prefer Chinese cooking to English!!!!!

Many years later after producing two kids, who both went to Oxford, he dumped the Chinese wife and traded her for a much younger South American one.
Those Peruvian beef kebabs are very seductive.

Don't forget the relative cost of living as well. A John Company sahib on a relatively small salary in the UK would effectively have a massively increased purchasing power in India, where he could afford a house, servant, fine food and wines, good clothes and also invest in various ventures and trading to make even more cash.

It was worth the risk of dying of an exotic desease to make enough of a fortune in 10 years to retire to a life of luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads