India Medal

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Rod924, Apr 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

I know that there are some very erudite members on here that may well be able to help. Following on from my last post on 'W.Campbell HLI Painting' it appears that he may well be diffy of a gong; the India Service Medal

Having looked at the web, I can't see any 'qualifying days' criteria, so before I approach the Medal Office, does anyone have any gen?

Service record:

Malta 9/2/95 - 14/2/98
    India 15/2/98 - 14/2/99
    Ceylon 15/2/99 - 17/2/99

The above just covers this period of service.

Records show that the HLI, 74th were in the Punjab; he was 74th. The period of campaign for the medal is up to the April of 1898, hence asking re number of days.

Any help very much appreciated

2. The only India Service Medal I could find reference to was the one issued in WWII. Do you mean the India GSM, this (apparently) was only issued 1852-1895. However, my info was from Wikipedia, so it may be slightly out...

3. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

4. Think this might help its from New Universal Encylopedia. Item is no 28 .Ribbon alternating red and green. India General Service 1895-1902 medals1.jpg

5. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

6. True-but that is not within the dates posted by the OP:

Service record:

Malta 9/2/95 - 14/2/98
    India 15/2/98 - 14/2/99
    Ceylon 15/2/99 - 17/2/99

The above just covers this period of service.

7. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

4zC, I am the OP. I also stated that the campaign ended in Apr 1898, so he was c55+ days in that campaign period

8. Try PM'ing RP578. He may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

9. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Frenchie, the wine owed to you is stacking up! Thank you.

If I have not heard back by Wed from the museum, I will PM for you further help if that is still ok?

10. Wrong frenchie I think but I will take the wine!

11. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Having read Wiki link again, I believe that he is entitled to the medal as it states 'The India Medal was awarded for various minor military campaigns in India, chiefly for service on the North-West Frontier during 1895 to 1902', so the clasp of 'Punjab' would be about the qualifying period.

Anyone else have a take on this?

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

PM sent mate.

13. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

The more I dig into this the more odd it seems to be! Why odd, well attached link is of a VC winner from the 1st Bn. In the timeline it clearly states that he was in India at the battle of Punjab, but if you look at the rack which sold for £140k, there is no India Service Medal with Clasp........Very odd

John Shaul

Another search revealed HLI recipients, to which, only the Officers received the medal.

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Hi Rod,

Did some digging and you are correct that the 2nd Battalion, Highland Light Infantry (74th) did indeed see active service in the Malakand Field Force on the North West Frontier in 1897-8, but the crucial date here is the 17th January 1898 when the 74th had marched back to their cantonment having successfully concluded their part in the campaign. To this end, Pte Campbell would probably have missed the an opportunity for see active service only arriving in India itself in mid-February and whilst the campaign as a whole went on until April, 2 HLI (74th)'s part in was over before he got there. I've copied an extract of the campaign from "PROUD HERITAGE The Story of the Highland Light Infantry" (Oates, 1961) below. If you want I can email you a copy in word doc format.

The link posted above to John Shaul is erroneous. He did indeed serve in 1 HLI (71st), but was based in Malta in 1895 and then Crete in 1898, having been deployed there with his battalion for the occupation and then back to England.They deployed to South Africa the following year. They moved to Egypt in 1903 and then to India finally in 1904. Cpl Shaul didn't serve in the Punjab campaign and none of his studied biographies claim that he did. Interestingly though he did go on to serve in the 5th South African Infantry in east Africa during the first couple of years in WWI before being med discharged in 1916, but has been pictured wearing the 1914-15 Star which he didn't qualify for as it was restricted to the Western Front theatre. An example how easily people got confused (and still do!) about medals and awards.

Hope this has helped.