India launches its first ballistic missile nuclear submarine

India launches its first ballistic missile nuclear submarine
2009-07-26 14:30:38

WAM New Delhi, July 26, 2009 (WAM)--India launched its first nuclear powered nuclear attack submarine today. Designated INS Arihant, the launch is the first of the four steps towards making the submarine operational with its sensors and nuclear ballistic missiles by 2011.
It was lowered into the waters in the Vishakhapatnam harbour in south-eastern India by Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.

Two more submarines are already under construction towards creating a nuclear triad of surface, air and sea launch capability as part of India's nuclear doctrine towards nuclear deterrence and retaliatory strikes. Two more are planned in the immediate succession.

The indigenous construction of the submarine by Indian public and private sector companies marks a quantum jump in India's shipbuilding capability. In about 20 years, India could build a total of 20 nuclear submarines after extensive tests and trials with Arihant.

The new vessel will undergo trials in harbour as well as shallow and deep sea as the second step. Then its noise levels will be checked and adjusted for stealth, and finally, sensors and nuclear weapons will be tried and integrated as the final and fourth step.

The already tested 700km-K 15 indigenous ballistic missile will be the first to be put on board its 12 launchers. Later, the 3500km KX missile will be integrated.

India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has had phenomenal success in its missile programmed over the last two years. The submarine has also been designed by DRDO, and has an 80-watt mini reactor using enriched uranium.

India is the sixth country after the US, UK, Russia (earlier Soviet Union), France and China to join the elite nuclear submarine club.

According to Ambassador R Rajagopalan, a strategic and nuclear expert, in is important for India to build a nuclear triad as India has a declared No First Use (NFU) policy. A deterrent has to be created so that an adversary has to keep in the "massive punishment that we can inflict in retaliation for a nuclear attack." It may be recalled that India had leased a Charlie class nuclear submarine from the Soviet Union from 1987 to 1991 for understanding the nuclear submarine concepts. Another submarine is also being leased for a 10 year period from 2009-end.

The advantage of a nuclear submarine is that it has very few batteries that need recharging, and it can be silently underwater for months, surfacing only to change crew and rations.

**** a stoat, the seas will soon be stiff with nuke subs. No room for whales or dolphins in tomorrows oceans!

tearsbeforebedtime said:
My taxes hard at work. Beautiful!

Why do they need our aid again? Space program or Nukes? I forget.
How much aid do they get of us?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Lots and lots of money to help the poor of India - thanks Broon.

Realpolitik might suggest that we like India, India likes us, and it may suit us for India to turn Pakistan into a wasteland at some point in the future. Deniability old bean, deniability.

And I would suggest that this amount is dwarfed by remittances sent to India by immigrants.

msr said:
And I would suggest that this amount is dwarfed by remittances sent to India by immigrants.
Yup, even more cash drain out of the UK.
Never mind, its good for the economy....

Fortunatly, everyone knows our own nuclear deterent is no longer needed and the cash we can save by not renewing Trident can be sent abroad in aid to help the Indians build their own nukes

jagman said:
msr said:
Yup, even more cash drain out of the UK.
Never mind, its good for the economy....

Fortunatly, everyone knows our own nuclear deterent is no longer needed and the cash we can save by not renewing Trident can be sent abroad in aid to help the Indians build their own nukes
Call centres?

msr said:
So what? They (immigrants) are sending their own money. The government is sending ours. WTF is government thinking?

Good luck to India, it is good to see them progress. But the poor in India is India's problem, not ours.

20th of Jan 2008.

£825 million aid package (over three years) announced for India.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7198546.stm

Alledgedly to help the poor of India.

Meanwhile India...

Launches an SSN (is it a SSBN?), with intentions to launch a second (this one will be a SSBN) in about 7 years.

http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=4049

Currently operates HMS Hermes (as was) but is building a 40,000 ton Aircraft Carrier. (keel laid 28 Feb 2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Viraat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikrant_class_aircraft_carrier
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/r-vikrant-2-program.htm

As of 2007 they had 17 reactors providing power to the country.

And have nuclear weapons for launch from aircraft or missiles.

Oh and they have a space programme.

So £825 million over three years from a country, with smaller aircraft carriers, probably no SSBNs or nukes at the rate we're going, no space programme, and (at the moment 24 reactors).

Despite advocating trickle down economics, I will vote for Cameron and expect a little improvement; but he will be starting on the back foot.

StickyEnd said:
msr said:
So what? They (immigrants) are sending their own money. The government is sending ours. WTF is government thinking?

Good luck to India, it is good to see them progress. But the poor in India is India's problem, not ours.
That's my point. The government does need to s(p)end this money.

msr

Good to see my taxes hard at work. Shame we couldn't invest £825 million over 3 years on new kit for the mission in the Stan.

Most of our foreign aid isn't in the form of a large novelty cheque or a brown envelope full of used tenners - it's in the form of preferential rates on UK products. Salesmen use the technique all the time, why not HMG?

msr said:
StickyEnd said:
msr said:

That's my point. The government does need to s(p)end this money.

msr
Ours?

smartascarrots said:
Most of our foreign aid isn't in the form of a large novelty cheque or a brown envelope full of used tenners - it's in the form of preferential rates on UK products. Salesmen use the technique all the time, why not HMG?
If that is what they are doing, why not explain it clearly?

smartascarrots said:
Bilateral Trade Aid?