• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

India is the world's biggest arms buyer, accounting for 10 per cent of global sales

Saying that.

"in its new report said India was closely followed by China and PAKISTAN whose weapons imports constituted 5 per cent each of global sales."

T

trowel

Saying that.

"in its new report said India was closely followed by China and PAKISTAN whose weapons imports constituted 5 per cent each of global sales."
Let the clowns get on with it. As long as it doesn`t go nuclear, we can walk in and sort out their problems again. You know how it works, you give them a hate figure to focus on ie us. Before you know it they are back to making curries and polishing boots, and far to busy to even think about killing each other. It worked before and it will work again. It`s only a question of time. "Gupta, stop strangling Patel and bring me my Kedgeree, Juldi, Juldi"

Let the clowns get on with it. As long as it doesn`t go nuclear, we can walk in and sort out their problems again. You know how it works, you give them a hate figure to focus on ie us. Before you know it they are back to making curries and polishing boots, and far to busy to even think about killing each other. It worked before and it will work again. It`s only a question of time. "Gupta, stop strangling Patel and bring me my Kedgeree, Juldi, Juldi"
A rather unfortunate post, given that Lakshmi Mittal, the steel tycoon, is again Britain’s richest man.

One wonder who is saying 'Juldi Juldi, mera joota saf karo!'

Yes your right about that.

But the fact that "India's imports of major weapons increased by 38 per cent in the last five years" (Which is quite a hefty increase) not lead us to believe there could be an Arms race escalating in Asia?

Let the clowns get on with it. As long as it doesn`t go nuclear, we can walk in and sort out their problems again.
No thanks. Stay in your island. You have already created a big problem for us when you created Pakistan. It would be very kind of you if you did not try to 'sort out' our problems.

You know how it works, you give them a hate figure to focus on ie us. Before you know it they are back to making curries and polishing boots, and far to busy to even think about killing each other. It worked before and it will work again. It`s only a question of time. "Gupta, stop strangling Patel and bring me my Kedgeree, Juldi, Juldi"
Your wishes could come true, but then, you'll have to elect a Prime Minister who will not be chasing Indian politicians and begging them to accept insignificant 'aid' in the hope of selling fighter jets.

Nevertheless, please do not let my post dissuade you from persisting with your harangue.

Namaste.

BBC News - India behind 24% jump in world arms trade

India has become the largest arms importer because the modernisation, which should have been spread over the years, were blocked/ delayed because of bureaucratic wrangles, political compulsions consequent to global strategic realignment and so on.

Even so. given the Threat Perception, India is still woefully short in artillery and has vintage arty pieces of a calibre that is out of circulation the world over.

Those who have followed the military build-up and infrastructure improvement in Tibet, would realise that India still is a long way to go before it can be comfortable in case of a face off with China in Tibet.

Many foreign firms who otherwise sell excellent weaponry have been blackballed as it has come to light that they were adopting means that were not above board to sell their products. This has caused an impasse since comparable weaponry elsewhere in the world is not there for the taking.

Yes your right about that.

But the fact that "India's imports of major weapons increased by 38 per cent in the last five years" (Which is quite a hefty increase) not lead us to believe there could be an Arms race escalating in Asia?
Yes, I am sure that there will be an arms race.

However, Pakistan is in no position to buy weaponry. Nonetheless, it will find China helping them out.

China which was world’s largest importer of arms between 2002-2006 but in the last five years it has emerged as the sixth largest supplier of arms with Pakistan being its primary customer. The top five world exporter of weapons are the United States, Russia, Germany, France and Britain. China despite being sixth largest exporter, however, has not yet achieved a major breakthrough in any significant market other than Pakistan, SIPRI said. About two-thirds of China’s weapons went to Pakistan including 50 JF-17 combat aircraft, 203 tanks and three warships.
India top arms importer; China 6th largest exporter: SIPRI | iSikkim
As has been the practice, Pakistan will blackmail the US to give them military hardware to 'fight terrorists shoulder to shoulder in the Global War on Terror' with stuff like F 16 and tanks. Though it is moot point as to how F 16s and tanks are used against fleeting terrorists who do not stand and fight!

China has slipped from being the largest weapons importer.

China is now the 6th largest weapons exporter. Unlike India, China has a robust weapons industry that produces hi tech weaponry and have been successful in making near similar products to the most sophisticated in the West.

China has no qualms about arming herself since she is in competition with the US to be a reckonable global power. The fact that such a neighbour is that of India, forces India not to let her guard down and hence the import of arms.

It is also no secret that the US is goading India to exert herself in the Asia Pacific region and is in constant dialogue with India's military as also undertaking a never ending series of exercise with all services of the Indian armed forces.

T

trowel

A rather unfortunate post, given that Lakshmi Mittal, the steel tycoon, is again Britain’s richest man.

One wonder who is saying 'Juldi Juldi, mera joota saf karo!'
The sub continent has the misfortune of having had over the centuries a surfeit of Mittal`s, in the guise of Nabob`s, Maharajahs and the like. Not to worry young Rayc, the Sahibs haven`t forgotten you or your ways. When you stumble, and you will. they will be waitng to pick you up again.

The sub continent has the misfortune of having had over the centuries a surfeit of Mittal`s, in the guise of Nabob`s, Maharajahs and the like. Not to worry young Rayc, the Sahibs haven`t forgotten you or your ways. When you stumble, and you will. they will be waitng to pick you up again.
Read Maitra's post?

Your posts are such fun.

Have you read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

Remember the two weavers who promise an Emperor a new suit of clothes that is invisible to those unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

You are parading like the Emperor - nude and without realising the same because of your delusion, and should I say as politely as one can - misplaced arrogance!

No offence meant.

Just could not help but remember the story since it is so apt to describe your fascinating phantasm!

Batfink,

Here is something that you may glance over

China’s Xi Warns Against U.S. Military Buildup in Asia

do not want to see the United States scale up military deployments and strengthen military alliances in the region.

U.S. President Barack Obama has announced plans to “pivot” U.S. military power toward Asia even as it cuts back in other regions.
China
China Builds Up Army Capacity On India-Tibet Border

As part of major infrastructure upgradation in Tibet and east Turkestan, China has plans to establish another 70.000 km of black-top roads, to extend the Qinghai-Tibet Railway from Golmund to Lhasa and thereon to Shigatse (close to Sikkim), to construct railways connecting Kathmandu, Myanmar, Bhutan, Pakistan and Central Asian republics as well as plans to build 11 new rail lines in Tibet and Xinjiang, which will ensure rapid deployment of troops or so called PLA.

Also included in the report was information that there are eight airfields in Tibet, including five operational ones; 18 air bases in Tibet and east Turkestan have the capability to put India under range of Sukhoi 27 aircraft.

China Builds Up Army Capacity On India-Tibet Border
Han and defense: a large number of People’s Liberation Army fighters gathered in the Qinghai-Tibet India panic

PLA to strengthen the rapid operational response capability in India for India “to carry out large-scale military exercises, Han said, with the Su-27/F-11A, F-10A on the plateau, the PLA to strengthen front-line airport construction in Tibet, the nearest airport from India only 227 km to implement pre-emptive strike, the second-tier airport in Xinjiang, Qinghai also been repair, the nearest airport is only 960 km from New Delhi....

The first large-scale joint military exercise. The screen display 96G improved main battle tanks, 122 mm self-propelled howitzers, shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles, 122 mm multiple rocket launchers, the Su-27/F-11A, F-10A fighter jets took part in the exercise. ....

This is by far the most large-scale land joint air combat exercise , and clearly aimed at India “. The exercise mobilized the Su-27/F-11A fighter implementation of the rocket attack made 500 kg laser-guided bombs, while the F-10A launched. Han said that these two fighters from the May 2011 Permanent Gonggar Airport, since 2010, this airport has many times the J-11. Chengdu Military Region, only empty 33 division to deploy F-11, empty 44 Division deployed to the J-10. These aircraft whether permanent Tibetan plateau in rotation manner worthy of attention. ...

Deployment of new long-range surface-to-air missiles and combat aircraft. Of particular note is the 2011 completion of the Xigaze base, known as the “dual-use airport, the airport is fully responsible for the Air Force garrison built a very large military barracks and a variety of garage, in particular, is worth noting that in 2009, this airport but also the construction of a new surface-to-air missile launch position, the shape of the positions of the four launch sites Ping, like a red flag -9 remote surface-to-air missile launch positions, there are two small field Ping, so do not rule out another the possibility that the deployment of a red flag -12 medium-range surface-to-air missiles.

HQ-9, a range of Hongqi-12A, respectively 125 km and 50 km. Truly large-scale war broke out, Xigaze Airport is a very important military base, the airport from the Indian border is only 227 km and 450-660 km distance from Tezpur, the Indian Air Force, chabua two airports. Pre-emptive strike to the implementation of the Indian Air Force airport. Therefore, the Chinese Air Force in time of war, the most likely to use two cutting-edge airport Shigatse and Gonggar Airport. Front-line fighter, bomber capacity has almost doubled.

Han and articles in the 4500 meters on the plateau, dispatched to 96G main battle tank including heavy weapons, which means the Chengdu Military Region’s rapid response and deployment capability has been greatly improved, this may be due to the Qinghai-Tibet railway transport capacity strengthening. Greatly enhance front-line airport construction in Tibet, the second-line preparations for the India operations also positive reinforcement. The main trends in Xinjiang, Qinghai, second-tier airports after the 2000 renovation, the airport as a second line forward bases, help to strengthen the ability of fast troop-carrying capacity and fighter combat transitions. For example, in Hotan, the construction of a large dual-use airport. This airport is only 960 km from New Delhi, is only 956 km from India and Central Barrile Air Force Base. Hotan Airport has a 3200 m long runway, the war not only can handle all types of fighter jets, can be used as H-6 bombers to use them at the airport.

Greater details at

Han and defense: a large number of People’s Liberation Army fighters gathered in the Qinghai-Tibet India panic « Military of China, force comment.

Read Maitra's post?

Your posts are such fun.

Have you read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

Remember the two weavers who promise an Emperor a new suit of clothes that is invisible to those unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

You are parading like the Emperor - nude and without realising the same because of your delusion, and should I say as politely as one can - misplaced arrogance!

No offence meant.

Just could not help but remember the story since it is so apt to describe your fascinating phantasm!
Adroit!

"I shall ne’er be 'ware of mine own wit, till I break my shins against it."

Ray Sir,

Thank you for opening this thread. Things have indeed lived up to my expectations. :)

-Regards-
The reason why I thought it was worth a thread is that I agree with the British public that there is no requirement for Britain to give aid to India, when it can be used more profitably for their own poor.

It was to inform that India really doesn't require their money.

Britain has some excellent systems like the NHS and Social Security. It ensures that there is no real poor as such since the State is there to help those who are the deprived. But all this requires big money.

One has read how the NHS is not up to scratch as desired, or how lazy bounders are milking the State by drawing their Social Security and not working and so on. Then there is always the issue of poor state of education that one reads in the British papers as also on the forums. Therefore, if Britain spends taxpayers money on the taxpayers and not on those who are already doing well, I think it would be money well spent.

Latest Threads