India is the world's biggest arms buyer, accounting for 10 per cent of global sales

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rayc, Mar 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rayc

Rayc RIP

2. In that case they wont be needing the £6 Billion in Humanitarian aid this year will they ?
  3. I`m just wondering who, apart from the UK, the buggers are planning to invade.
  4. Packistan ?.
  5. Saying that.

"in its new report said India was closely followed by China and PAKISTAN whose weapons imports constituted 5 per cent each of global sales."
  6. Let the clowns get on with it. As long as it doesn`t go nuclear, we can walk in and sort out their problems again. You know how it works, you give them a hate figure to focus on ie us. Before you know it they are back to making curries and polishing boots, and far to busy to even think about killing each other. It worked before and it will work again. It`s only a question of time. "Gupta, stop strangling Patel and bring me my Kedgeree, Juldi, Juldi"
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rayc

Rayc RIP

A rather unfortunate post, given that Lakshmi Mittal, the steel tycoon, is again Britain’s richest man.

One wonder who is saying 'Juldi Juldi, mera joota saf karo!'
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Yes your right about that.

But the fact that "India's imports of major weapons increased by 38 per cent in the last five years" (Which is quite a hefty increase) not lead us to believe there could be an Arms race escalating in Asia?
  9. Mainly between Pakistan & India of course.
  10. No thanks. Stay in your island. You have already created a big problem for us when you created Pakistan. It would be very kind of you if you did not try to 'sort out' our problems.

Your wishes could come true, but then, you'll have to elect a Prime Minister who will not be chasing Indian politicians and begging them to accept insignificant 'aid' in the hope of selling fighter jets.

Nevertheless, please do not let my post dissuade you from persisting with your harangue.

BBC News - India behind 24% jump in world arms trade
  11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

India has become the largest arms importer because the modernisation, which should have been spread over the years, were blocked/ delayed because of bureaucratic wrangles, political compulsions consequent to global strategic realignment and so on.

Even so. given the Threat Perception, India is still woefully short in artillery and has vintage arty pieces of a calibre that is out of circulation the world over.

Those who have followed the military build-up and infrastructure improvement in Tibet, would realise that India still is a long way to go before it can be comfortable in case of a face off with China in Tibet.

Many foreign firms who otherwise sell excellent weaponry have been blackballed as it has come to light that they were adopting means that were not above board to sell their products. This has caused an impasse since comparable weaponry elsewhere in the world is not there for the taking.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Yes, I am sure that there will be an arms race.

However, Pakistan is in no position to buy weaponry. Nonetheless, it will find China helping them out.

As has been the practice, Pakistan will blackmail the US to give them military hardware to 'fight terrorists shoulder to shoulder in the Global War on Terror' with stuff like F 16 and tanks. Though it is moot point as to how F 16s and tanks are used against fleeting terrorists who do not stand and fight!

China has slipped from being the largest weapons importer.

China is now the 6th largest weapons exporter. Unlike India, China has a robust weapons industry that produces hi tech weaponry and have been successful in making near similar products to the most sophisticated in the West.

China has no qualms about arming herself since she is in competition with the US to be a reckonable global power. The fact that such a neighbour is that of India, forces India not to let her guard down and hence the import of arms.

It is also no secret that the US is goading India to exert herself in the Asia Pacific region and is in constant dialogue with India's military as also undertaking a never ending series of exercise with all services of the Indian armed forces.
  13. The sub continent has the misfortune of having had over the centuries a surfeit of Mittal`s, in the guise of Nabob`s, Maharajahs and the like. Not to worry young Rayc, the Sahibs haven`t forgotten you or your ways. When you stumble, and you will. they will be waitng to pick you up again.
  14. Thanks for that information.

(Sorry i cant "reply with quote" I am on DII)
  15. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Read Maitra's post?

Your posts are such fun.

Have you read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

Remember the two weavers who promise an Emperor a new suit of clothes that is invisible to those unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

You are parading like the Emperor - nude and without realising the same because of your delusion, and should I say as politely as one can - misplaced arrogance!

No offence meant.

Just could not help but remember the story since it is so apt to describe your fascinating phantasm!
    • Like Like x 1