Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

India Independance... what has it actually gained?

Pomp and ceremony as Modi calls for 'new' India on 70th anniversary

It's all good for the guys waving flags and jumping for joy that they gained independence from their cruel British colonial master, but 70 years on and some massive celebration across the country, because I was actually asking a friend earlier whom is of Indian nationality and she couldn’t cite any improvements or major differences between post-war India and today, corruption is rife as ever, basic sanitation is lacking and poverty is widespread, despite years and millions of pounds in donations of aid and investment in projects designated as NGO (Non-Government Organisations) aka charities, etc etc blah blah blah, I’d question what is all the excitement about...

She cited a number of points as we got into the discussion that there have been major improvements in literacy, education, life expectancy, medical care, nuclear weapons capability, the 3rd largest combined Armed Forces in the world, and apparently India holds the best capability in the IT sector...

Well at least you got the chance to blame the British for everything wrong in the country.

Bit like Labour with Maggie or Brexit with the EU.

Pomp and ceremony as Modi calls for 'new' India on 70th anniversary

It's all good for the guys waving flags and jumping for joy that they gained independence from their cruel British colonial master, but 70 years on and some massive celebration across the country, because I was actually asking a friend earlier whom is of Indian nationality and she couldn’t cite any improvements or major differences between post-war India and today, corruption is rife as ever, basic sanitation is lacking and poverty is widespread, despite years and millions of pounds in donations of aid and investment in projects designated as NGO (Non-Government Organisations) aka charities, etc etc blah blah blah, I’d question what is all the excitement about...

She cited a number of points as we got into the discussion that there have been major improvements in literacy, education, life expectancy, medical care, nuclear weapons capability, the 3rd largest combined Armed Forces in the world, and apparently India holds the best capability in the IT sector...
They've gained sovereignty?

While they hold a large capacity in IT, there is not a snow balls chance in hell I would describe it as world beating.

It is more along the lines of a million monkeys tapping keyboards, some are very good, the vast majority just scribble.

To be fair India has some decent IT guys but they're always the ones overseas that get out knowing they can be paid more in America or Europe

The reason that it's got such a bad reputation for IT is partly all the decent one work abroad, and the culture over there where they don't publicly question authority works against them.

To be fair India has some decent IT guys but they're always the ones overseas that get out knowing they can be paid more in America or Europe

The reason that it's got such a bad reputation for IT is partly all the decent one work abroad, and the culture over there where they don't publicly question authority works against them.

They're all called Nigel and work for Microsoft and can fix my computer if I let them access it.
They can all f off, and I hope they all melt in a war with Pakistan.

Feel better now.

They lead the world in some things:

poop.png