India demands return of Koh - i - noor diamond

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ciggie, Jul 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if they'd settle for a Koh - i - Noor pencil instead ? Same stuff in essence, after all !

2. I believe Cameron has said no.
    Regardless of that, Pakistan claims ownership too. Personally I think its fine where it is thankyou.

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

So do the Afghans, that diamond has passed through more hands than a 1972 copy of Razzle during BAOR.

4. Well you live and learn, didn't now the Afghans wanted it too. That settles it really, it'll have to stay in the Tower.
    What a shame

5. Didn't this belong to Shah Sujah? Any comments from the Shah's men/ women?

6. rampant

The diamond has a very interesting history,the wiki gives a brief summary: Koh-i-Noor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Its that bloody labour (Leicester) idiot Vaz whos kicking up the stink at this end saying it should be given back.

Vaz, the same idiot who in 1990 when an UVIED fell from a Leicester ACIO vehicle as it left the centre kicked up a stink by claiming the Army had planted the device themselves!

8. Perhaps we can send him to India instead? Would be no loss to us.

9. It is in three separte pieces already, might as well be given back, as it was theft in the first place. And that is the Viceroy saying that!

10. I understand that Shah Sujah gave away the diamond when he went into exile.
    The Shah was subsequently re-installed on the AFG throne by the British during the First Afghan War c1840, when Shah Sujah's Troop was formed.
    Hence the connection with T Bty ( Shah Sujah's Troop).
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I had been expecting a reaction to this thread from Hayling Island or even Larkhill!

11. How about a swap? They can have the damm thing back, in exchange for ALL the aid we've coughed up to India since 1947? Seems fair to me....

12. Why don't we just give it back,in exchange for the shitloads of £millions they have got out of us in aid which they have used for their space programme,and nuclear subs,along with all the shiny Russian kit we have subsidised?...........As well as returning Vaz,as mentioned in an earlier post?

13. rampant

Noooooooooooo, stupid idea 'cos that will set them up to claim back alll we swiped during the Company and Raj - we be paying back until the end of the universe.

14. Spoils of war. If we started giving back everything that we took from people after giving them a shoe-ing then Officers Mess at Woolwich is going to start looking terribly empty...

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

They can have the bit of bling back if they take all the Indians and Pakistanis who have moved here to be closer to the diamond!!!!!