India clears $660 million deal for artillery guns.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Yusuf, May 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. NEW DELHI: The Indian Army got a shot in the arm today with the defence ministry clearing its long-pending $660 million (Rs.3,000 crore) proposal to buy 145 ultra-light howitzer guns to add teeth to its ageing inventory.

This is the first time the army is buying artillery guns in 27 years, since the Bofors guns payoff scandal broke out in the late 1980s.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), headed by Defence Minister A K Antony, cleared the deal for the M777 BAE Systems guns that will be bought through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route of the US government.

The purchase comes in the wake of Indian Army chief Gen. V K Singh writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in March highlighting the gaps in its preparedness.

India clears $660 million deal for artillery guns - The Economic Times

2. BAE has set up a joint venture in India with Mahindras group.

This gun will form part of the offensive capability that India plans to acquire vs china in the mountains.

3. [​IMG]

Can't say I'd fancy lugging one of those up a mountain. What's the lift capability of the Indian Air Force at altitude?

4. And a moderator just had a face palm moment.

• Like Like x 6
  5. What weight are they ? dont think Indian Army has anything that will lift above 1500kg? Afew Kamov`s and a few Alouette III `s , their Air Force has some big stuff like CH47-D`s AFIK.

6. I'm certain The Brigadier will be along in the morning to fill us in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tender for strategic air lift chopper is also out and Chinook heads the list.

8. They're under 4,100 Kg: M777 howitzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India's got some MI-26's but as Yusuf states, there's a further heavy lift contract out to tenderposs CH47 as battle proven, age proven and works at altitude.

9. Well, I hope that their CH47 procurement process is handled better than our CH47 procurement process.

Bollox; The Brigadier will be on to me for bemoaning the Empire's lost bargaining skills.

10. And in and in and in.....

• Like Like x 1