LE
Book Reviewer
Probably overloaded
56d08e692e5265b8008b9db2.jpeg.jpg

What's his family doing on there?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's what happens when you buy Russian kit...
The Unit Paymaster who introduced me to Yacht Racing and to the future Zero Alpha had transferred in from RA. Pretty sure he wore some sort of Observer wings. He'd been in a helicopter crash previously and I suspect that's why he transferred.

Sat, him and me in the cockpit of a Kiel yacht hammering across the Kielerbucht leading the RAC regatta, he opined that Russian helicopter pilots were the best, because it took an expert just to keep a kite, held together with black masking tape and string, in the air.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The Unit Paymaster who introduced me to Yacht Racing and to the future Zero Alpha had transferred in from RA. Pretty sure he wore some sort of Observer wings. He'd been in a helicopter crash previously and I suspect that's why he transferred.

Sat, him and me in the cockpit of a Kiel yacht hammering across the Kielerbucht leading the RAC regatta, he opined that Russian helicopter pilots were the best, because it took an expert just to keep a kite, held together with black masking tape and string, in the air.
I've flown in a few and that would be my observation...

Darwin tends to gather up those held together with string and tape. Russian pilots tend to be good because they are well trained, especially if they originate in the Air Force. They also tend to have to routinely operate in field conditions that would test any Western pilot but would be regarded as normal jogging for Alaska or Canada. They also tend to have a greater indepth knowledge of their aircraft than Western pilots and are much more prepared to rough it and get stuck in, to help keep the operation going. Now, of course, there are plenty of shitty Russian pilots too, just as there are in the West. Ask any inspector from any Western aviation authority about dodgy operators,often operating in plain sight.

Ask any inspector from any Western aviation authority about dodgy operators,often operating in plain sight.
which may or may not include the Inspectors / Authorities themselves…..

(allegedly)

Now, of course, there are plenty of shitty Russian pilots too, just as there are in the West
A Glaswegian officer from our mob, who mobilised for a tour as a staff officer in West Africa, described his decision-support mechanisms for helicopter tasking:
  • Wander across to pan
  • Stick head into crew room/cockpit
  • On encountering a strong smell of vodka and bleary eyes, avoid tasking that day (if possible).

QRK2

LE
Darwin tends to gather up those held together with string and tape. Russian pilots tend to be good because they are well trained, especially if they originate in the Air Force. They also tend to have to routinely operate in field conditions that would test any Western pilot but would be regarded as normal jogging for Alaska or Canada. They also tend to have a greater indepth knowledge of their aircraft than Western pilots and are much more prepared to rough it and get stuck in, to help keep the operation going. Now, of course, there are plenty of shitty Russian pilots too, just as there are in the West. Ask any inspector from any Western aviation authority about dodgy operators,often operating in plain sight.

I have to admit to a certain level of apprehension when we were using Bulgarian Hips for transport a little time ago.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer