India Becomes One of the First Few Countries to Open All Combat Roles to Women in the Armed Forces

pinksniper

Old-Salt
"In amazing news for the women serving in our armed forces, the Government has decided to induct women in all military combat roles in the future.

In his address during the joint sitting of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, President Pranab Mukherjee made this progressive announcement.

According to The Times of India, the President said, “In our country, shakti is the manifestation of female energy. This shakti defines our strength. My government has approved the induction of women as short service commission officers and as fighter pilots in the IAF. In the future, my government will induct women in all fighter streams of our armed forces.”

This decision signals a radical change in the army, which, up until now, did not allow women to serve on submarines, tank units, and in combat. According to reports, many countries do not allow women in infantry and armoured units.

The government will review this decision in five years.

army-women-India.jpg

The President, who is the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, made this announcement only a couple of months after the Indian Air Force decided to allow women to fly warplanes from June 2017.

“We have already expressed our commitment towards bringing in women into the combat streams of IAF and it is going to happen very soon. From providing proper toilet facilities to moderating male chauvinism, IAF has come a long way and we are ready now,” said air Vice Marshal Kapil Kak (retired) to Mint.

The gender bias in the armed forces has been a topic of discussion time and again. Women were inducted into the armed forces only in 1992. For the longest time, they were being recruited as Short Service Commission officers. Over the years, a number of women officers have gone to court asking for better pay and permanent roles.

Hopefully, the government’s decision to allow women to serve in combat will be a step in the right direction."

Because this is the most important thing for India? More of Modi's willy waving?

How about some more toilets?

Can I request an immediate thread ban for John G please.

Well start a new one to distract him, disruption the best tactic - start up the H4H thread again to keep him interested and occupied - you know provoke him to respond

Archie
I'm not starting another H4H thread, the mods would send me a VOIED, the last one didn't go well.

Shakiti dosnt seem to protect them from the apparently high incidence of rape there. Is sexual harassment as big a problem there,in the armed forces, as it seems to be in the west? Given the societal penchant for it in India I would guess it is.

Maple

LE
So what about the opportunities to rape and shit in the street, has that been opened up to women too?

90-95% of those suffering from takotsubo cardiomyopathy (broken heart syndrome), brought on by stress or injury, are women.

Better make sure they don't get stressed or injured, then .....

Ritch

LE
Here we go. Back in a few, just nipping for some popcorn.

Combat. It's safer than using public transport in Delhi

Latest Threads