Independent says "Veterans win fight for smart ID cards"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dave8307, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Copy the URL, by highlighting and pressing Crtl+C.

In the "reply" bit (note, not quick reply at the bottom of the screen) wyou will sa what looks like a globe with a chain at the bottom (3rd group of buttons from the left, so roughly in the middle).

Press the globe buttons. A dialogue box comes up (you may have to allow scripts, depending on machine, first.) Press Ctrl+V to paste.

Press Enter.

A new dialogure box opens, asking for what you want the link displayed as. Enter link name.

Press enter.

Et Voila, a long stream of code will appear in your reply, that is your "linky".

Back to the subject.....

Today is the 30 Mar.... that is TOO early for an April Fools.... isn't it?

2. Also I will be interested in finding out what it entitles for ex forces who have decided to settle in Germany & other European countries.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

About time! Another little gesture would be allowing every one who retires to retain their rank in the way that officers do. It may only be symbolic but symbols matter.

On the practical side we should, of course, have a proper military medical service with provision for veterans instead of the current botched job we have at MDHUs etc. Poor service to the troops, the vets and the medical staff.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm worried about the smart bit, it wont work will it, its got to be easier to link your service number to everything else surely!

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don't suppose it will entitle them to anything although it may be useful for access to some of the social activities available on bases. At the end of the day we all have to accept some responsibility for our actions. Like most people I hope to emigrate I won't be looking to the British Government for any support when I'm gone.

6. Am I the only one a little worried about how we now like the ID card that can track our every move just because there is a 10% rail discount?!

7. I'll believe this 'Alice in Wonderland' story when I see the first cards issued. Shortly after the first issue, doubtless we shall see forged cards carried by 'chavs' and other assorted detritus of our so-called society.

I'm also intrigued by the 'roll-out' date - early 2010. No connection with the General Election of course! In any case, the introduction will be late due to 'on-going technical problems'.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Complete bollox. Its smoke and mirrors to make it look like they're doing something, nothing will change. I can't believe anyone with even a passing knowledge of this bunch of cnuts history would be drawn in by this.

9. Brilliant!

Government just introduced 4 million ID cards by the back door.

Am I the only one here to see that?

10. Looks like the Poor and Hard Done By Students have been at that article and are posting the usual Comments. Makes you feel realy appreciatted to be left with life long problems from bothering your arrse to protect their security and freedoms.

How about sending a plane load of 'Do Gooders' to Afghan? As long as they all take their Rose Tinted Glasses I'm sure they'll be fine...!

11. There is also a petition HERE, which the telegraph is claiming s theirs, but was started by Combat Stress.

12. I like you wonder WHY it has to be a Smart Card, what other personal data will be kept on the card and the central database where god only knows what they will keep for cross referencing and WHO will have access to that and WHY?

Is this an admission that the NHS Priority Scheme has FAILED, this is of NO surprise, as NO GP's wre aware of said scheme and yet in the last posted SPVA report, stated there had been very few complaints about the scheme the GP's knew nothing about, the good old Mushroom Syndrome!

It will also help those in their resettlement to be recognised as an ex servicemen / woman and give an in to more than NHS care. Are we NOW starting to follow what the USA have been doing for many years, so why now and perhaps the evidence is overwelming that the Sound Bites released by the Mod / NHS have bene just that words without substance!

However, this scheme for the new ID cards will not begin until next year and then only rolled out to the new service users and then to those who the SPVA should have ALL personal details NOW, so why do we HAVE to wait, what does the SPVA actually do?

13. Anyone want to have a sweep on how long it will take after the database is established, before the info is lost or stolen?

(Estimates to the nearest hour will do.)