Independent on 15 Feb 07 - Front page article on Trident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Litotes, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today, the Independent has led with an article naming 100 "top" people who have signed a letter calling on the Prime Minister not to buy Trident Mk 2.

Independent article

I was half thinking this might be a sensible option (especially as the bill will be paid for by shutting down what remains of the Army), but then saw Ken Livingstone's name on the list.

As I always do exactly the opposite of what Ken directs, purely on principle, I will now vote for Trident!

Litotes

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Right Rev Rowan Williams, the author Zadie Smith, the actress Emma Thompson, the fashion designer Vivienne Westwood and the architect Richard Rogers have also signed a statement objecting to a hasty decision.

Ideal people to plan for the future defence of the country. Should they not be asked to write the defence policy now.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Some of the comments are complete arrse. There was a debate about this on the world service yesterday - well about those countries that have nuclear weapons anyway - and it was the wooly namby pamby thinkers who think that there aren't nasty people out there who were saying we should all get rid of them, everybody should agree to give them up. Jesus what planet are these people on?

4. Indeed, important military thinkers and influencers of foreign policy all!

I was intrigued to notice Air Marshal Sir Timothy Garden, General Sir Hugh Beach and Stephen Hawking on the list. Much as I respect Professor Hawking for his academic ability, he is not an authority on foreign or defence policy.

The impact of the three gentlemen named above is rather lessened by their appearance amongst the usual selection of liberals, communists and ill-informed 'do gooding' band-wagon obsessed celebrities.

I can't think of any cause which would be bolstered by the support of Diane Abbott, George Galloway or Will Self.

5. Well, the country is run on the whim of a man who responds to short-term fashions and trends, so what is surprising about how this list of 'no-bodies' is titled '100 top people'? :shakefist:

Jesus CHRIST!!!!

Just reading the list makes me want to plunge my fingers into my eyes! Never before have I seen a list of such self-important, fence-balancing, wooly liberal sopwits! I am only slightly disappointed at Ming the Merciless for aligning himself with these non-entities!

6. How did he manage to sign it?

7. Ink on his wheels.

8. "I was half thinking this might be a sensible option (especially as the bill will be paid for by shutting down what remains of the Army), but then saw Ken Livingstone's name on the list. "

Actually, over the life of the programme it will cost only about 3% of the defence budget a year.

9. Livingstone ! Will Self ! It sticks in the throat but if these tw*ts are against it, I must be with Bliar on this and be for it.

10. Sir Tim Garden amongst ". . . . selection of Liberals . . . "

This is a wah, right?

11. Maybe he wants to bring back the Vulcan.......