Independent about Iraqi ghost army

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article299271.ece

The Iraqi armed forces are full of "ghost battalions" in which officers pocket the pay of soldiers who never existed or have gone home. "I know of at least one unit which was meant to be 2,200 but the real figure was only 300 men," said a veteran Iraqi politician and member of parliament, Mahmoud Othman. "The US talks about 150,000 Iraqis in the security forces but I doubt if there are more than 40,000."
Our Polish friends made good business. They sold useless pieces of iron for huge sum (taken I suspect from American and British taxpayers.

more than $300m spent on buying 24 military helicopters and other equipment from Poland. When Iraqi experts examined the helicopters they found them to be 28 years old - and their manufacturer recommended that they be scrapped after 25 years.
The manufacturer is probably Russian. It would be more logical to buy helicopters (new ones) directly in Russia (btw, it is a good option for RAF too).

"The Americans were the partners of the Iraqis in all this corruption," says Dr Othman. The results of the failure to buy effective arms are visible at every Iraqi police or army checkpoint. The weapons on display are often ageing Kalashnikovs.
So Poles are not alone.

As a result of the lack of weapons, the Iraqi police and army are often less well-armed than the insurgents.
At least significan part of Iraqi police and army are well armed (probably because they are hidden insurgents). Americans (as nation with practical look on things) no doubt are aware...

An official said: "The Americans don't trust our soldiers or policemen. They say the arms might fall into the hands of insurgents. But I tell them the insurgents already have these kind of weapons so why should they want some more?"

And how's Chechnya going for you people these days, Sergey? Rip-roaring success now, is it?

Think I'd rather be president of Iraq or Afghanistan than Chechnya - they seem to live longer.

KGB_resident said:
"The Americans were the partners of the Iraqis in all this corruption," says Dr Othman. The results of the failure to buy effective arms are visible at every Iraqi police or army checkpoint. The weapons on display are often ageing Kalashnikovs.

oh i don't know - ageing Kalashnikovs can be very effective weapons.

I think that anything more sophisticated would be wasted until/unless the Iraqi army and police in general were able to learn the weapons handling skills that their instructors are trying to teach them...

AndyPipkin said:
And how's Chechnya going for you people these days, Sergey? Rip-roaring success now, is it?

Think I'd rather be president of Iraq or Afghanistan than Chechnya - they seem to live longer.
Dear Andy!

Situation in Chechnya goes better. Local 'insurgents' (many of them) are now in local police and special services. These forces 15000 (taken into account that Chechnya is much smaller than Iraq) would be equal to 350,000 - of course sufficient but unreachable nubmer in Iraq now.

Terror acts in Chechnya are now rare. There are few hardliners, islamists but they are mainly harboured in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/10/wtony110.xml

A Chechen warlord and friend of the actress Vanessa Redgrave was accused by the Russian government during extradition proceedings yesterday of a string of terrorist attacks, mass murders and torture during years of conflict in the rebel republic....

Mr Lewis said that in his role as the head of a firing squad Zakayev carried out the torture of a suspected Russian informer, Ivan Sloviov.

When the man refused to confess, Zakayev threatened him with a gun, the court heard. "He [Zakayev] then pressed the barrel of the gun against Sloviov's little finger on his right hand and pulled the trigger, shooting the finger off, he did the same thing to the left hand, shooting two fingers off.

"He tortured Sloviov in this way for around 40 minutes, refusing him any medical treatment."

also alleged to be responsible for the kidnap and torture of two Russian Orthodox priests, Father Sergey and Father Anatoly in Urus-Martan in 1996.

"The priests were handcuffed, bundled into the back of the rebel's car and driven away by Zakayev's bodyguard . . . for six months Fr Sergey was regularly tortured, beaten and ill-treated," Mr Lewis said.
What would you say if organiser of 911 and blasts in London would be harboured in Moscow?

What is this Zakayev doing in London? It appears that he pomises new terror acts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3655438.stm

He said the Beslan tragedy, which has left at least 338 dead according to officials, will not be the last of the violence in the region.

Foot_Tapper said:
KGB_resident said:

oh i don't know - ageing Kalashnikovs can be very effective weapons.

I think that anything more sophisticated would be wasted until/unless the Iraqi army and police in general were able to learn the weapons handling skills that their instructors are trying to teach them...
Couldn't agree more. Iraqi army and police should be supplied with effective and easy in use arms.