Independence for Scotland - Poll

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jan 15, 2012.

?
  1. (Scots only) Yes

18.6%
  2. (Scots only) No

16.9%
  3. (Rest of UK only) Yes

33.9%
  4. (Rest of UK only) No

27.1%
  5. (Anyone) Don't know

3.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

(Scots only) Yes.

Because I've always voted for the SNP for the simple reason that their rasion d'etre is Scottish independence. Not entirely sure why other nations of our size should be celebrated but we're 'too small to make it on our own'.

2. Scotland should piss or get off the pot, referendum in or out, none of this devomax bollocks. Devomax is another example of Scotland wanting to have their cake and eat it.

3. Yes because if I were a Scot I would want it. And as an Englishman I am sick of the patronising attitude shown towards them

Alec Salmond is perhaps the most honest and best politician in the Union. Seriously thinking of crossing the border if he wins

4. No, the Union has served everyone well so why change.

Or....... No, just to piss off the English :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. I voted no, but if they succeed I hope they join the Euro. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Yes, rest of UK - like many English I generally like the Jocks and Scotland. In my cups I'll een claim my Scottish ancestry. What we get back in return these days is no longer friendly banter but hatred. Alex Salmond has played on Scottish nationalist feeling very effectively but to have a nation you have to create an "other" that you define yourself as different from. He's turning rivalry to emnity and I'd rather we split early before it becomes too entrenched.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Where's the devo max option?

Not that I need it.

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Fixed that for you.

9. Personally speaking, I think Scotland could make it on it's own (as many other small European nations also can), but I think the first few years would be difficult.

On the other hand, I do think it would be a shame to break up the Union. Despite everything we have over 300 years of shared history.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rest of the UK - Yes. Because I am sick of all the bleating, just get on with it!

11. The wouldn't have a lot of choice in the matter

"Chapter 17: Economic and monetary policy

The acquis in the area of economic and monetary policy contains specific rules requiring the independence of central banks in Member States, prohibiting direct financing of the public sector by the central banks and prohibiting privileged access of the public sector to financial institutions. Member States are expected to co-ordinate their economic policies and are subject to the Stability and Growth Pact on fiscal surveillance. New Member States are also committed to complying with the criteria laid down in the Treaty in order to be able to adopt the euro in due course after accession. Until then, they will participate in the Economic and Monetary Union as a Member State with a derogation from the use of the euro and shall treat their exchange rates as a matter of common concern."

European Commission - Enlargement - How does a country join the EU ? - Enlargement

There are some who say that they could avoid it in the same way as Sweden did, however the legal loophole they used is now closed.

Edited to add: That is of course on the assumption that they actually do get into the EU, there is no guarantee of that though. Countries such as Spain may blackball them because of their Basque issues.

12. Technically they would already be in the EU so this is not a given

13. Scot - yes.

I think the Union as it stands has had its day and see no realistic chance of a smarter, more compartmentalised version being introduced any time soon.

Nowadays, the economic bent of the UK is tipped too far in favour of one particular sector and one particular geographic location. The post-Imperial mindset doesn't help a more realistic appraisal of the UK's place in the world and without that we'll just continue down the same old path because, "that's how we do things round here".

No UK government will redress the balance because it's costly, expensive in terms of political capital and there are no votes in it. A Federal UK might solve the problem while retaining the international presence of the UK but that would require agreement of all parties and I can't see any hope of that.