Incredible survival of B17 in WW2

Dont know if this has been done already but someone sent me details of this B17 with its tail hanging off that still managed to get home! The photos in the article are almost unbelievable, these are a taster

B-17 - Fantastic Story of Survival

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
".. the pilot continued on his bomb run and released his bombs over the target."

Blimey.

Was that caused by a mid air collision?

Amazingly enough it was repaired and continued to fly until 1945.

24406 (97th BG, 414th BS) damaged over Tunis Feb 1, 1943 in collision with Fw 190 during
mission to Bizerte, landed safely. Repaired and continued to fly missions. Salvaged Mar 6, 1945.
USAF Serial Number Search Results

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm curious as to why they decided to fly back to the UK instead of to a North African airfield which would have been much closer and would not have involved flying over the Med and then through heavily defended airspace before chancing the Channel. The background in the photos doesn't look very much like East Anglia either and the story says that they covered the distance from Tunis to within forty miles of their base in two and a half hours - I wonder if the second part of the story got muddled up with something else.

I'm curious as to why they decided to fly back to the UK instead of to a North African airfield which would have been much closer and would not have involved flying over the Med and then through heavily defended airspace before chancing the Channel. The background in the photos doesn't look very much like East Anglia either and the story says that they covered the distance from Tunis to within forty miles of their base in two and a half hours - I wonder if the second part of the story got muddled up with something else.
I have to agree with you, however all the various google items say "B-17 Pilot, Lt Kendrick R Bragg; 97th Bom,b Group Heavy, 414th Bomb Squadron in England." I suppose after nearly 70 years some facts get muddled, however the photos do show the incredible ammount of damage they sustained!

The bomber did land in North Africa, I looked into the story when this story was sent round a while back and although mostly true, a few aspects have been changed to make it cuter for the folks back home.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The bomber did land in North Africa, I looked into the story when this story was sent round a while back and although mostly true, a few aspects have been changed to make it cuter for the folks back home.
Thanks for clearing that up - I'll award myself the Order of the Green Slime, Third Class. Still a remarkable story - the sheer cold-blooded guts required to use your parachute for aircraft repairs when it's likely to fall out of the sky any minute is astonishing, as is climbing back into the rear section to provide more stability.

It's remarkable just how much damage those bombers could take and survive considering that the airframe was built of mainly aluminium that was at Best a few millimetres thick and that the aircraft were designed to last an expected operational life span of about six months!

I have to agree with you, however all the various google items say "B-17 Pilot, Lt Kendrick R Bragg; 97th Bom,b Group Heavy, 414th Bomb Squadron in England." I suppose after nearly 70 years some facts get muddled, however the photos do show the incredible ammount of damage they sustained!
I'm afraid this story has been embellished over the years! B-17 "All American" (414th Squadron, 97BG) flown by, the 414th BS were based at Biskra airfield in Algeria at the time of the incident!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Red Shrek Infantry 8
Arthur_Dent Current Affairs, News and Analysis 9
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 10