Incredible survival of B17 in WW2

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by ex_colonial, Dec 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dont know if this has been done already but someone sent me details of this B17 with its tail hanging off that still managed to get home! The photos in the article are almost unbelievable, these are a taster

B-17 - Fantastic Story of Survival
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

".. the pilot continued on his bomb run and released his bombs over the target."

3. Was that caused by a mid air collision?
  4. Nails, BFO stainless steel nails.
    The sort of story that could not be made up.
  5. If you read the article from which the photos were taken you would see that a an out of control Me109 hit them! click on this B-17 - Fantastic Story of Survival
  6. Amazingly enough it was repaired and continued to fly until 1945.

USAF Serial Number Search Results
  7. True, I'm sure I saw a photo somewhere of one with an UXB dropped by another aircraft stuck in it somewhere.
    On a lighter note, thats a lovely sight jigging around at the bottom of your page, who is she?

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I'm curious as to why they decided to fly back to the UK instead of to a North African airfield which would have been much closer and would not have involved flying over the Med and then through heavily defended airspace before chancing the Channel. The background in the photos doesn't look very much like East Anglia either and the story says that they covered the distance from Tunis to within forty miles of their base in two and a half hours - I wonder if the second part of the story got muddled up with something else.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I have to agree with you, however all the various google items say "B-17 Pilot, Lt Kendrick R Bragg; 97th Bom,b Group Heavy, 414th Bomb Squadron in England." I suppose after nearly 70 years some facts get muddled, however the photos do show the incredible ammount of damage they sustained!
  10. No wonder they banned smoking in the toilets
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

She's well fit... but TSO caught me gazing at a number of times.
  12. The bomber did land in North Africa, I looked into the story when this story was sent round a while back and although mostly true, a few aspects have been changed to make it cuter for the folks back home.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for clearing that up - I'll award myself the Order of the Green Slime, Third Class. Still a remarkable story - the sheer cold-blooded guts required to use your parachute for aircraft repairs when it's likely to fall out of the sky any minute is astonishing, as is climbing back into the rear section to provide more stability.