Increasing the quality of the TA soldier myth

The problem only seems to be Sigs from what I've seen.

Back in the UK there is just not the relevant kit to train on, the guys saying they'tr getting Bowman are getting just manpacks, Inf Sigs generally do dismounted Sigs. R. Sigs need to learn HQ Bowman which is a slightly more complicated affair.

The list goes on as your expected to know all systems (ICS, Telephony) and this just isn't plausible for many TA Sigs as it all comes down to experience. The crunch is most guys I've spoken too seem to end up sweeping hangars or vacuming HQ's at night. Then watch as the TA Inf go out on patrols and do what they have learned.

Basically Sigs is too complicated to learn. There are however those that go against the grain....

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello mate!

Obviously a busy tour then! Serious point - you seem to have landed on your feet (comms/trade wise). I'm guessing that this was down to your extensive pre-deployment training? Maybe that's the key for all Sigs IRs? Certainly as a Grunt we'd be looking at a 3 month PDT to get up to speed, shouldn't the Sigs invest as much trade wise for their IRs?

I too have move from a corps to the infantry, not for any reason other than moving house, and although I haven't been with them very long, morale is excellent.

There's some real charactors here, everyone looks out for each other and there's no petty bickering and jobsworthyness.

If you have a problem our PSI is excellent and if he say's he'll get it sorted he does.

Never been in the sigs, but from the impression I get on here I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Perhaos some of our Scalet chums should bear that in mind when whinging...

Mark1234 - which unit?

BB

RP578 said:
Hello mate!

Obviously a busy tour then! Serious point - you seem to have landed on your feet (comms/trade wise). I'm guessing that this was down to your extensive pre-deployment training? Maybe that's the key for all Sigs IRs? Certainly as a Grunt we'd be looking at a 3 month PDT to get up to speed, shouldn't the Sigs invest as much trade wise for their IRs?
Yes I am fortunate of my current role and we did get embedded in slightly early but not enough to warrant a yes to your question. I'm lucky (or perhaps unlucky) in that I've picked up a broad amount of experience of various kit. However the other TA Sigs guys with me although keen are really out of their depth with what's being used in theatre, this of course isn't their fault.

Having some knowledge of kit can be topped up, having no knowledge is time consuming to teach. The TA Sigs guys that get on ok are the SAS reserve blokes, this purely because they get to use the kit back in the UK.

Back to experience, experience can only be gained on Ops but Ops also highlight any deficiency in knowledge. There are clearly people in TA Sigs with the knowledge but far more without. The question thats got to be asked is being keen really whats required on Ops by TA Sigs augmented into a Reg Sqn?

As for the Inf guys I meet, they're out on the ground, not necessarily smashing it up but doing their job proficiently.

RP578 said:
Whiskey_60 said:
I came to the Infantry from the Signals. (I saw the light)

I agree with your observation the guys/gals in my old Sqn were all great to get on with but overal the morale was pretty low, alot of the junior ranks felt their was no sense of direction etc.

I was only with them for a year, the senior leadership tried alot of things to spark interest and get more bods through the door but it was difficult!

Some people will love the Signals as a job, others won't. I was one of those that turned in on anything remotely green but didn't find the Comms side that interesting (CommCen anyway, field comms was good) hence the switch!

W-60
Mate, your experiences mirror my own almost to a tee. One of the reasons that I habitually post on here to remind people of the possibility of switching to the Infantry is because of what I saw of the Signals. My old Sigs unit had many good, switched on and enthusiastic bods from all ranks, who nonetheless felt consistently frustrated by their experience of TA life. It just seemed (and seems to me still) an incredible waste of talent and enthusiasm.

I don't know why the TA Sigs are like this. Perhaps it's the technical nature of the trades and/or high maintenance of the equipment which is hard to reconcile with a part time force that in turn leads to half measures. I genuinely don't know and I do feel sorry for those TA soldiers who actually want to do comms work, as their options are limited.

I realise of course that the Infantry is not for everyone and indeed that (contrary to what puteesinmyhands may believe) some may never hope to come up to the standard for an Infantryman. Nonetheless, if you're unhappy and the only reason you're in a Signals unit is because it's the closest a look around at your nearest Infantry unit might be just the tonic.
You craic on chaps....this thread is wonderful. It started with a supremly uneducated TA officer, presumably from RSigs, bleating on about this and that, in barely intelligable English. Puttees put his case forward, which I sniped at, a bit, and now the men on the ground are telling us what the scoop is.

Interestingly, there seems to be a tad of intelligence amongst those who went from the bottlewashers to the infantry. Some of them can even schpell.

All that comms stuff....boring innit? Fack the 319s lads, lets go and shoot some baddies....

Thanks "puttees" and thanks to the rest of you, for restoring my faith, if not in human nature, then in soldiers' natures.

Seamus.

londonirish said:
It started with a supremly uneducated TA officer, presumably from RSigs, bleating on about this and that, in barely intelligable English. Puttees put his case forward, which I sniped at, a bit, and now the men on the ground are telling us what the scoop is.
Please don't insult me - I'm no officer. Yes my English is my weakness and I didn't do a degree in that subject, but the amount of red on your post indicates I can at least spell better than you.