Increasing sprinting speed

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fatsplasher, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only an occasional jogger who plays some football.I am after some advice on improving my sprinting speed.

2. Run faster..............couldn't resist it!

3. Stretch off properly, and continue stretching exercises. The easier it is for your muscles to move, and a greater range of movement will improve your speed.

4. Starting strength or actually the speed at which your legs turnover?

What's your lmiting factor and how far are you basing the sprint off (100m, 400m, 800m)?

5. Interested in quick pick up and carrying the speed through up to 50-60 metres

6. I would suggest that you consider plyometric exercises, core strength and lower body stretching (Calf, Thigh, Hamstring, Hip flexors and back).
    Typical polymetric exercises are; skipping, hopping, bounding and drop jumping designed to assist in developing the lower-body strength, power, and speed.
    A lot of trainers look for explosive and speed based training - it is about working on the muscles and fibres that will provide the speed. Plyometrics exercises are designed to maximise force and minimise time taken to achieve that force.

I would suggest all exercises you do are designed to improve the neural responses an important component for increasing speed.

I have read and heard on many occasions "Train with Pace to gain Pace" - a simple adage but very true in it's distilled form.

7. Perfect your running form. Make sure your running posture is correct, and keep your hands from clenching as you run. Look ahead and keep your torso straight and arms at 90-degree angles.
    Avoid tensing opposing muscles, known as "tying-up." Keep your arms relaxed and shoulders dropped and level. Your jaw should be slack and not clenched.
    Practice sprinting down hill without slowing yourself. You will go faster because of gravity, and your body and muscle memory will become accustomed to the longer stride and faster pace. This will carry over to the flat track and help you shave some seconds or fractions of seconds off of your time. Do this for several weeks, several times a year.
    Keep your legs pointed in the vertical (forward) plane at all times. Avoid any sideways (lateral) movement from either leg. It is important that all energy is used to drive you forward, and not dissipated to the sides.
    Keep up a high level of training, varying workouts to increase your speed. However, let your body rest for a couple days with lighter training sessions prior to a match or race.
    Try Plyometric exercises to increase power and speed in sprinting. Do the exercises several times a week.

8. I would have said what the above posters have, namely

-plyometric work inc bounds, hops, box jumps.
    -some strength work which would be squatting and some dynamic work which is basically squatting quickly with a moderate weight (50-60% one rep)
    -downhill running to get the neural path ways used to the quicker turn over.

For what you want though, getting a greater strength base in your legs will go along way. For example hefty power lifters and olympic lifters can out pace sprinters over 100m (after that though the out come is obvious).

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Change the setting from 'Fine' to 'Draft'

10. All in all, not bad advice at all. However, I’d say the following: don’t bother whether your hands are clenched or not; don’t bother whether you’re tensing opposing muscles or not - this will sort itself out the more you practice; don't bother if your jaw's slack or clenched; if you try and keep your torso straight, you'll lose speed.

There’s also the first bit about making sure your running posture is correct, but no advice on how to do that. Sprinting is very different from distance running and actually does require a different posture. You need to drop your hips into a kind of "Groucho-Marx" gait to ensure that your legs are mainly driving you forward and not also upwards. This will also ensure that you don’t fall flat on your grid when you do the running downhill number. You can see the difference when you observe long-distance runners’ heads bobbling along and the almost “flat trajectory" of a sprinter’s head as s/he barrels down the 100 meters. This means that you’ll have to equal out the torsion caused by this style by swinging your upper body more than is necessary in distance running and using your arms more. It doesn’t matter if your arms are at 90 degrees or not. The natural position that works best for you is the one you want.

Go on YouTube and watch loads of footage of sprinters at work. Compare their running styles to long-distance athletes, then go out on the track and try to emulate them. As long as you have the basics down pat, all the rest with arms, legs, jaw etc will come naturally and allow you to concentrate on increasing your stride-frequency. Don’t attempt to increase your stride-length, since that’s set at your natural level.

MsG

11. Upgrade to a laser jet - oh sorry I suffer from dyslexia, you said sprinting speed.