Increased Defence spending = Good thing according to BBC

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by js374, Sep 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An unusually positive report on BBC website.

BBC News

I know the report if from the Defence Industries Council who might be a little biased but it is good to see the BBC supporting it.
  2. Unwritten subtext- 'increased defence spending is a good thing....In marginal Labour constituencies, or if BAE/EDS etc. might bung them some cash for the election expenses, 'cos the Labour Party (like the country) is bankrupt.'
  3. The building industry certainly wouldn't say no to a bit of investment in military infrastructure, building some new barracks, airfields or naval docks would help a lot, considering the new build sector is sh1te at the moment...
  4. Have to agree with all the above,but wouldn't mind betting that it all falls on selectively deaf ears amongst Cyclops & Co.Think we can all see the financial horse-trading which will HAVE to happen after the next Election whoever takes up residence in No.11,and I believe most of us can remember many of the times when Defence has taken more than its fair share of punishment,simply because,as far as the Treasury is concerned,it is and always has been an easy target.
  5. Cynic mode on - I note that the total turnover was quoted. Anyone have to hand what the tax take is?

Other posters have hit the crux of the issue, though. The Defence Industry shouldn't be a welfare scheme to keep people in employment whilst funneling government money into shareholders' pockets. (Unless overseas sales, of course). The MOD should be getting the best possible kit available whoever the supplier. If it's abroad, bad luck BAe.
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

We're pretty efficeint and cost effective as it is. We have to be or we go out of business, as some are finding out. Increased defence spending doesn't necessarily mean increased equipment procurement. Much as I'd like MOD to give us more money I'd quite like to see them spending it on personnel as well.
  7. My bold. Highly unlikely use of resources. If EDS aren't already holding meetings with opposition MPs as they were doing at Stockley Park months before the 1997 election, then they're not on top of their dastardly but politically astute game.
  8. Excellent idea, hope it gets taken on board.