• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Increased compensation for injured personnel (AFCS)

MOD released this announcement at midnight. Not unexpected. Letters going out today Mon 15 Dec to the 140 most seriously injured.

MOD said:
MoD introduces increased compensation for injured personnel

Compensation payments for the most serious injuries have been doubled to a new maximum lump sum of £570,000 today (Monday 15 December).

All injured personnel who have received an award under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme will receive an increase of between 10 and 100% to their tax-free lump sum payment. For the most seriously injured, this is in addition to their tax-free index linked Guaranteed Income Payment that is paid monthly for life after leaving the Armed Forces.

The 140 most seriously injured have been written to today with details of their increased compensation payments and will receive their additional money over the next few days. Those less seriously injured will receive their additional compensation over the next few months. In total more than £10million in additional compensation will be paid to approximately 2,700 injured servicemen and women.

The MoD announced the intention to increase the lump sum compensation payments as part of the Service Personnel Command Paper, published in July. The paper - "The Nation's Commitment: Cross-Government Support to our Armed Forces, their Families and Veterans" - outlined a package of 40 new measures to improve the lives of Service Personnel, their families and veterans. This is the first time that such a cross-Government strategy has been issued and it sets the standard for the level and scope of support our Service personnel can expect...

[edited by me to try to return the thread to its proper name and not "National Service for Failed Asylum Seekers"!]

The maximum compensation for armed forces personnel injured in service has been doubled by defence ministers from £285,000 to £570,000.

The increase is retrospective, which means around £10m will be paid out to 2,700 troops who have been awarded lump-sum payments.

For the most seriously injured this is in addition to a lifetime tax-free index-linked monthly payment.

Link here.

T C

From the BBC Webpage

The maximum compensation for armed forces personnel injured in service has been doubled by defence ministers from £285,000 to £570,000.

The increase is retrospective, which means around £10m will be paid out to 2,700 troops who have been awarded lump-sum payments.

For the most seriously injured this is in addition to a lifetime tax-free index-linked monthly payment.

The government said it would be a "boost" to personnel and families.

All injured personnel who have received an award under the scheme will receive an increase of between 10% and 100% of their payment.

A 19-year-old seriously injured soldier could receive more than £1m over the course of his life under the new system.

Inclined to say, about time too.

Comments?

Sven said:
Why has this got an Asylum title on the forums list of threads?

PTP You haven't got it wrong with the thread merges have you? :D
LOL

I've edited the first post in the hope of getting the thread title back on track.

Great news - well deserved and a little glimmer of hope.

But let's not get too carried away, it has been announced before - they just hadn't put figures to it. As far as I can see there is no extra money so more belt-tightening to come - perhaps Hackle knows more.

As to idea that there might be an election coming. I don't think there are enough votes in defence to be the cause of this announcement, carriers announcements and recent grand-standing in Theatre. I think this may be more softening up before uplift of forces on HERRICK. 2,000 or so is my guess.

Apologies for posting a new thread on existing topic - (searching blindly as ever) - PTP would you please delete / merge as appropriate with Hackle's earlier thread please.

I know how much work will have gone into this - by a wide range of people at all levels.

Congratulations to all those involved; it must have been very difficult driving this past the Treasury.

Litotes

Only difficult to get it past the Treasury if it involved committing more money. So far I have seen no evidence of more cash, (I hope I will be corrected on this prettty promptly, otherwise other parts of the budget will be squeezed)

A bit of advice to anyone receiving an award from the SPVA.

Once an award has been made, (if you haven't already done so) it is worthwhile seeking assistance from one of the many charitable organisations that are dedicted to helping service people i.e. BLESMA, British Legion, Combat Stress etc etc

Unfortunately the SPVA aren't the be-all-and-end-all in many of these matters.

Latest Threads