Increase in GIP Level

Hi all,

I was med discharged back in 2014 and given AFCS GIP at 30% - no military pension as I fall under AFPS 05.

6 years on, my GIP is likely now to increase to 75% due to a review, will the GIP of 75% be back paid as a lump sum from my initial discharge in 2014?

Many thanks

BobbHope

War Hero
Hi all,

I was med discharged back in 2014 and given AFCS GIP at 30% - no military pension as I fall under AFPS 05.

6 years on, my GIP is likely now to increase to 75% due to a review, will the GIP of 75% be back paid as a lump sum from my initial discharge in 2014?

Many thanks
Sounds like good news but don't count your chickens until you actually have the award.
If the effective date of the increase is the same as the original award then you will receive the arrears (less what you have already been paid). This might be different if your award has been changed due to worsening or other factors. Once your GIP is 50 % or above you also become entitled to AFIP which will also be backdated to the effective date. AFIP contains Motability allowance (Free Car!).

Hey guys. I’m currently waiting for my tribunal in the next couple of months. I have ptsd (item 10) and I’ve been fighting a long time to be diagnosed as permanent. Veterans UK have been absolutely disgusting to deal with. I hope you guys get sorted out with things.

My question is this:-
i was diagnosed with severe ptsd in March 2013 and I have been claiming PIP payment since July 2017. If I get my diagnosis to permanent (item 8), will I get the AFIP back dated and if so how far back? I can’t find any info on this and when I ring vets UK they just won’t give me an answer.

thanks for your time.

BobbHope

War Hero
Hey guys. I’m currently waiting for my tribunal in the next couple of months. I have ptsd (item 10) and I’ve been fighting a long time to be diagnosed as permanent. Veterans UK have been absolutely disgusting to deal with. I hope you guys get sorted out with things.

My question is this:-
i was diagnosed with severe ptsd in March 2013 and I have been claiming PIP payment since July 2017. If I get my diagnosis to permanent (item 8), will I get the AFIP back dated and if so how far back? I can’t find any info on this and when I ring vets UK they just won’t give me an answer.

thanks for your time.
Hi, I know what it's like to deal with AFCS. It can be frustrating and the only answer is patience. Not easy I know.

If you do get an award of GIP at 50 % or higher you will be entitled to the higher rate of AFIP (which includes Motability). However your PIP payments will be deducted from the arrears as they are basically the same benefit. If your PIP was at the lower rate you should get the difference in arrears. I hope it all works out for you.

Hi, I know what it's like to deal with AFCS. It can be frustrating and the only answer is patience. Not easy I know.

If you do get an award of GIP at 50 % or higher you will be entitled to the higher rate of AFIP (which includes Motability). However your PIP payments will be deducted from the arrears as they are basically the same benefit. If your PIP was at the lower rate you should get the difference in arrears. I hope it all works out for you.
Thanks bob. I really appreciate your advice.

BobbHope

War Hero
Do you receive a Gip payment on a level 10 if it is an interim payment to be reviewed in 2yrs ?
Each individual case is different and I would be wary of jumping the gun but a Level 10 award attracts a 30 % GIP payment. I looked at the AFCS articles and I cannot see anything that says that GIP is not awarded in an Interim payment. Have you had an award letter yet? That should explain all.

Latest Threads