Incorrect pronunciation of Supermarket names!

:sunny:

Why do people insist on saying "Tesco's" or "Aldi's" when they mean Tesco or Aldi. It bloody winds me up!

Example:
Idiot: "I got these trousers from Tesco's, they're fuckin' lush, innit?"

Idiot's pal: "Yeah, Wayne got some like 'em from Aldi's last week"

The exceptions to the rule are of course Sainsbury's and Morrisons.

i always mispronounce WAITROSE as in " im off to do the weekly shop in ALDi" -shit i mean WAITROSE !!

OP you want to try getting yourself down t'asda's! ;)

I'd say it's the elision of the word shop, supermarket or emporium, innit?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Why do people insist on saying "Tesco's" or "Aldi's" when they mean Tesco or Aldi. It bloody winds me up!
[Pendant mode on]

If you want to be really picky, it's Aldi Nord or Aldi Sud. Many years ago, the two brothers that own Aldi couldn't agree how to run it and they split it into two halves sharing a similar banner. Each brother runs his half the way he wants.

The Aldi's in the UK belong to the Aldi Nord (North) part of the company.

[/Pendant mode off]

That told you...

Wordsmith :)

[Pendant mode on]

If you want to be really picky, it's Aldi Nord or Aldi Sud. Many years ago, the two brothers that own Aldi couldn't agree how to run it and they split it into two halves sharing a similar banner. Each brother runs his half the way he wants.

[/Pendant mode off]

That told you...

Wow, thanks for setting me straight. I shall never make such a noob error again, I promise! :shaking:

Incidentally, it's Pedant, not Pendant, unless you don a necklace with a lucky charm on to correct people?

Is it not just colloquial English, shortened from Tesco's Supermarket?

Should Sainsbury's be Sainsburys'?

You've answered your own question with those apostrophes. - that's for the benefit of the OP

Dinger it depends on whether the name ends in "s". For a proper noun ending is s it's s's as in Marks's - fine purveyors of overpriced groceries and underwear to OAP's.

Of course, another possibility is it's an abbreviation of TESCO Stores, the name registered on the LSE in 1947, according to Wikipedia.

[Pendant mode on]

[/Pendant mode off]

That told you...

You've been watching too many Twix adverts!

Example:
Idiot: "I got these trousers from Tesco's, they're fuckin' lush, innit?"

Idiot's pal: "Yeah, Wayne got some like 'em from Aldi's last week"

The exceptions to the rule are of course Sainsbury's and Morrisons.
Bloody hell you must have a terrible weekend & suffering from a bad hangover which has made the Monday morning blues insufferable. Get over yourself, who the f*** worries about how any one else pronounces supermarkets names. Saying that I get annoyed when people pronounce the letter H by saying "Haitch" instead of aitch, ignorant twats! :-(

You are all lucky you are not in Motherwell. I heard the local mongs in my office talking about buying stuff at Safeway; I asked them as I thought Safeway had gone bust, sold up etc. years ago. "Not that Safeway, the furniture one" was the reply.

Here it is.

Instyle Furniture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanfully it has changed names and gone bust since then and I don't have to decipher what they are talking about on that score. It was in fact Called Saveway Direct. I now only have to remember, mince cakes (a mince and onion round pie), sugar taps (a bread bun with icing), procurement is pronounced procruitment and social workers always hyphenate admin to ad-min. Cunts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Health and Fitness 3
brewmeister Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4
Dubb_al_Ibn Int Corps 9