Inconvenient surnames

Ok, I posted this in the jokes forum because it is rather a silly post, but one that I actually am serious about getting an answer for.

Ok so, If your family/surname is already that of a military rank, what happens when you join the forces?

for example I know people with the surname "Major" and "Sergeant" So would you be addressed as Private Major or Sergeant Sergeant etc.

CUNT springs to mind.

Sergeant Sargent was my neighbour in Munsterlager back in the early '70s. He was RA and from Barbados and a great bloke.

When I joined brats (JLRRA) there was a lad in our intake who's surname was Rea (as in the singer, Chris). On passing out he proudly became Gunner Rea his recruiting sergeant obviously had a wicked sense of humour.

A

Aleegee1698

I remember at primary school, the bloke in charge of the whole school was called Bates.........

No, its OK, I ve got my mobile

I did know a Cpl Sergeant, and yes, when he was promoted he was Sergeant Sergeant
was that Bassingbourne circa 1988?

B

bokkatankie

We had a Miss Carriage as a teacher once!

And of course the famous Richard Head must have loved his parents.

But Hunt as a surname seems to have way too many opportunites.

One of the odder ones was a bloke called Baker-Baker????? Why?

Had a Robin Hill at school whose mum remarried to a Mr Hood.

They let him get away with 'Robin Hill-Hood' but everyone still gave him hell.

Also had a foreign guy in basic called Parsz, pronounced 'Parts', good job he was RGJ as he was 'Rifleman Parts', had he joined somebody else he'd have ended up 'Private Parts'

We had a lad in our entry called D. Guess - always a laugh when he was asked what his name was and he came back with the reply "Guess, Sir!"

Many years ago when I had to phone through priority demands the phone on the other end would often be answered by with "Sar'nt Major". Of course I called him Sir and placed my demand.

He never corrected me and it was months later that I found out he was a sergeant called Major!

Q.

my initials are PVR, when the recruiting sgt saw that he pissed himself, when I asked what was funny he said, you'll find out

Just found out my oppo's boss is called Hooker (anybody want to come up with something for that?)

K

Kirkz

Many years ago when I had to phone through priority demands the phone on the other end would often be answered by with "Sar'nt Major". Of course I called him Sir and placed my demand.

He never corrected me and it was months later that I found out he was a sergeant called Major!

Q.
There was Sergeant Major in the pay corps at Bunde in the 80s. he used to get pissed off correcting people on the phone that he wasn't a warrant officer!
My son went to school with a Joanne Connor (say it quickly)!
There is also an Asian guy I know called Ahmed Mammood, (Ahmed Mamood for dancing!) Always makes me giggle anyway :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kilo42 The Intelligence Cell 222
banoffee_pie The NAAFI Bar 96