Inconvenient surnames

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Jokes' started by Freddie010, Jul 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I posted this in the jokes forum because it is rather a silly post, but one that I actually am serious about getting an answer for.

Ok so, If your family/surname is already that of a military rank, what happens when you join the forces?

for example I know people with the surname "Major" and "Sergeant" So would you be addressed as Private Major or Sergeant Sergeant etc.

2. CUNT springs to mind.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I did know a Cpl Sergeant, and yes, when he was promoted he was Sergeant Sergeant

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sergeant Sargent was my neighbour in Munsterlager back in the early '70s. He was RA and from Barbados and a great bloke.

• Like Like x 1
  5. When I joined brats (JLRRA) there was a lad in our intake who's surname was Rea (as in the singer, Chris). On passing out he proudly became Gunner Rea his recruiting sergeant obviously had a wicked sense of humour.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I remember at primary school, the bloke in charge of the whole school was called Bates.........

No, its OK, I ve got my mobile

• Like Like x 2
  7. was that Bassingbourne circa 1988?

8. I knew a WRAC Officer in the 80s, Major "Mam" Orries, great lass

9. Nope, Sarajevo 1995/96

10. Lol Wag tail, I wouldnt much have liked to have been him.

Thanks for the responses so far.

11. LMFAO!!!!!!!

12. We had a Miss Carriage as a teacher once!

And of course the famous Richard Head must have loved his parents.

But Hunt as a surname seems to have way too many opportunites.

One of the odder ones was a bloke called Baker-Baker????? Why?

13. Had a Robin Hill at school whose mum remarried to a Mr Hood.

They let him get away with 'Robin Hill-Hood' but everyone still gave him hell.

Also had a foreign guy in basic called Parsz, pronounced 'Parts', good job he was RGJ as he was 'Rifleman Parts', had he joined somebody else he'd have ended up 'Private Parts'

• Like Like x 1
  14. We had a lad in our entry called D. Guess - always a laugh when he was asked what his name was and he came back with the reply "Guess, Sir!"

15. We had a Bod called Dick Toomie, who we christened "Strappa". how we chortled!