Inconsistant Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Marc_St_Hilaire, Jun 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has something changed with the ARRSE screen size or is it just me? At home on my laptop I use a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 and can see the whole page. At work this was also the case until a few days ago. Now at work I have had to change the SR to 1280 x 600 to see the whole page. My laptop is unchanged. my laptop used Opera, at work MS Explorer. Any thoughts?

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Bad CO said the other day that Arrse is now on a fixed width setting rather than variable width.

This may well be the issue.

3. Screen res is determined by the computer settings and the settings of the program your using (such as a game)

Browsers use the resolution settings from your computer unlike games which can set their own.

Nothing to do with settings on the site.

Sometimes a machine will change resolution settings after updating drivers

4. Have you tried squinting?

5. Is there any cure for, at my end? The thing is, at 1280 x 600 I need a fecking magnifing glass to read the print!

6. Change the text size by holding ctrl down and scrolling the wheel on your mouse

7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Depends what browser you're on. I use Chrome and 'CTRL and +' or 'CTRL and -' zooms or unzooms.

8. Thanks Pebs. I'll have a word with a friendly boffin at work. How I'm going explain the need to be on ARRSE at work is another mattter!

9. Doesn't work on this PC. There are so many filters on our CS systems they are pretty well bolloxed. But thanks anyway.

10. In that case pressing Alt, and F4 will sort it

11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

for Marc_St_Hilaire

It sounds like you have adjusted the browser zoom as the site is optimized for a screen a shade smaller than yours so should be 99.9% as good on yours with good clear font. If the mouse wheel doesn't work, the press Ctrl and + at the same time. If that doesn't help, could you post a screenshot please? Let me know if you don't know how.

12. The same happened on my Notebook a couple of weeks ago. If I close the navigation pane or reduce it to almost zero then everything fits, but that wasn't necessary before.

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks TE - sounds like there are / were gremlins that need removal. I'll try and check it on other people notebooks and tablets as and where I can and see if I can get the same problem.

By the way for the original poster, doing a full refresh may also help: Ctrl and F5 pushed together.