Incompetency Based Interview Questions

Competency based questions are the bane of every job searcher's life. You know and the interviewer knows whether you can do the job but you still have to go through the process of answering bone questions which usually ends up with someone else getting the job.

I'm considering a new concept in interview techniques which I think will be really popular and help employers choose the best candidate.

Choosing from a list of incompetencies, try and answer the questions to give evidence to the interviewers that you are 100% suitable for the job: being jack, flouting E&D legislation, bullying, poor time-keeping, unaccountability, theft, dishonesty, misuse of substances, internet misuse, spurious allegations, taking credit for other people's work and bad language.

For example, can you describe a time where you've had to avoid making the brews and what was the result?

Don't forget to use the STAR method!

The whole interview process these days is a script, from both sides.

What a waste of time, any job candidate with any preparation skills will have checked out what competency based skills are and either have real ones ready to hand or just invent/hijack others acheivements and present them as their own.

I guess this has all been sold big time to the corporate world by snake oil sales people to gullible must have the latest candidate testing tools/methods types. The time and money I have seen wasted on team building skills etc. which acheived precisely nothing, everyone just went back to doing things as they did before.

I even saw a recruitment notice in the Standard a few years back for a PC supplier/retailer asking that applications be hand written because a caligraphy based selection would be used as the first filter. It didn't mention what 2nd interview would be but I wonder if it was palm and tea leaves readings etc.

Still, just as useful as competency, phsycometric, Briggs Mayer and all the rest of the guff these people use.

Honest, at one team building exercise the supplier (no doubt on a huge fee) had people lying down liste ning to whale music. Barry (bless his cotton socks) fell asleep and started snoring. I wondered what the Finance Director (a no bullsihit kind of guy) was going to say when this invoice landed on his desk. The VP who set this (and other such events) up was not therfe for much longer after that.

Competency based questions are the bane of every job searcher's life. You know and the interviewer knows whether you can do the job but you still have to go through the process of answering bone questions which usually ends up with someone else getting the job.

I'm considering a new concept in interview techniques which I think will be really popular and help employers choose the best candidate.
Are you qualified to be asking?

I've been interviewing a lot lately. On both sides of the table and it is such a game. If you're getting a face to face it's because someone has decided you are qualified on paper. The real test is your ability to mesh with the team.

On a recent interview I was asked if I was familiar with STAR. Now my particular line of work has three different meanings for that particular TLA and when I ,in my charming and winning way, asked for clarification (I looked like a stunned hedgehog for a second while I spun through the options)the HR dragon in the room didn't seem amused. The hiring manager got it immediately though and we had a touching bonding moment. Pure luck that she did get it though.

I like the (in)competence metric though.
" Tell us about a time you used company resources to further your own agenda and screw your colleagues over."

Last edited:

I suspect that many Arrser's interviews would probably fall into the following category...

Just like to add that I once interviewed a lady of a certain age for a job which required a level of IT skill with MS DOS.

In reply to my question she replied "This MS DOS...Is it some sort of operating system?"

I copped out and gave the job to the attractive young lady who knew how to defrag a hard drive and knew how to design spreadsheets... :)

Last edited:
I even saw a recruitment notice in the Standard a few years back for a PC supplier/retailer asking that applications be hand written because a caligraphy based selection would be used as the first filter. It didn't mention what 2nd interview would be but I wonder if it was palm and tea leaves readings etc.

Still, just as useful as competency, phsycometric, Briggs Mayer and all the rest of the guff these people use.

Honest, at one team building exercise the supplier (no doubt on a huge fee) had people lying down liste ning to whale music. Barry (bless his cotton socks) fell asleep and started snoring. I wondered what the Finance Director (a no bullsihit kind of guy) was going to say when this invoice landed on his desk. The VP who set this (and other such events) up was not therfe for much longer after that.

Checking that people can actually write isn't exactly tea leaves, is it?

I suspect that many Arrser's interviews would probably fall into the following category...

Just like to add that I once interviewed a lady of a certain age for a job which required a level of IT skill with MS DOS.

In reply to my question she replied "This MS DOS...Is it some sort of operating system?"

I copped out and gave the job to the attractive young lady who defrag a hard drive and knew how to design spreadsheets... :)

I once got a job based on your bottom cartoon.

I once worked for a man who had a rival across the road. Two lads who'd worked for him previously and started up after a falling out.

'If ever you need a job', said Derek darkly, one day, 'go and tell them two that you think I'm a cunț'

I was very glad of that advice when I got sacked a few months later because I went and did just that. And I told them what he said.

Gales of laughter in the office and I was back behind the wheel the very next day.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I once got a job by walking in and patting the daft labrador sitting by the reception desk
turned out the boss liked people who liked dogs, reckoned they were better with clients